French Courses in Flanders (Antwerpen Province)

Hi, has anyone taken a French language course in the Antwerpen region? Preferably at a university or a recognized language school? I am unable to find any courses that start in the next month or so in this area.

Brussels has quite a few course, unfortunately, they are in the city and it does not work with my work schedule.

Hi , you can take also online classes and save a lot of time

French courses in Antwerp? Not the good place. There, it is Dutch/Flemish speaking and the Flemish identity is very strong... Why do you want to learn French?

It's true that Antwerp is not a best place to learn French.

If you still want to, I'd recommend Linguapolis at University of Antwerp. I believe they are offering some French courses in October https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/centres/li … es/french/

It's a bit costly as compared to Encora or CVO but the quality is much better.

What about Lille? It's near to Antwerp and is in France. I guess you can find French courses there.

montylee wrote:

What about Lille? It's near to Antwerp and is in France. I guess you can find French courses there.

Ouch, can you bear commuting 120km to study?

Antwerp to Brussels is much closer, more or less 50km.

Thank you. This sounds like a good option.

That was the thought too. The online and in person classes are priced the same. Normally I would not choose online classes because it is hard to stay engaged, but under current conditions, it is probably a good solution too.

Online classes are cheaper )))  you can find on apprentus.com very good platform

Currently, onsite courses are very rare. Almost all languages courses are online. Of course, it is not the better way to learn but, given that the situation, it is better than nothing (and right, the price is very advantageous).

And yes, Brussels is easier than Lille (Rijsel) to study in case of onsite courses.

STEFFIFI wrote:

Currently, onsite courses are very rare. Almost all languages courses are online. Of course, it is not the better way to learn but, given that the situation, it is better than nothing (and right, the price is very advantageous).

And yes, Brussels is easier than Lille (Rijsel) to study in case of onsite courses.

Hello Stef,

What makes me laugh with this discussion is wanting to learn French in the middle of Flemish territory.  From Flemings and / or Dutch, I can understand.  But for English speakers, that's special ... Why not learn to speak Flemish first?

phipiemar wrote:
STEFFIFI wrote:

Hello Stef,

What makes me laugh with this discussion is wanting to learn French in the middle of Flemish territory.  From Flemings and / or Dutch, I can understand.  But for English speakers, that's special ... Why not learn to speak Flemish first?

I agree, of course. I asked the author why he wanted to learn French, above all in Antwerp... I think a lot of people across the World don't know that Belgium has a Flemish language part... I have ever seen a post here, some years ago where a Canadian French speaker expat (probably a partner of an expat worker) who didn't find a French speaker at the City Hall and in administration generally and who didn't understand why... I even know Dutch people who don't know either this Belgian specificity...

Some people have to think that there are two different countries, Belgium and Flanders... (it is the case for "the Voice" show, that said... A "Belgian" version, actually Wallonian and BXL and a Flemish version...:D)

Should be good to make a pinned post about this because others will fall in the "trap"...