Bringing my dog to Portugal from Canada

Hey everyone,

I have everything settled here in Portugal, NIF, residency card, bank account, but now have to travel back home to Canada because my 10 year old dog cannot live with her caretaker.

Since I have everything accomplished here, how can I bring my dog over from Canada?  She is microchipped, up to date on vaccines.

Also, where can I look for pet friendly homes?

THANKS EVERYONE in advance

We are bringing our 8 year old Pug with us from USA.  We are flying Air France since they have the most dog friendly policy (that we were able to find).  We found a  great 2 bedroom apartment on Uniplaces.com by using their sorting tool.  Spotahome.com also had this feature.  We actually are still in USA since these sites allow you to book without all the extra paperwork.  We did all this in advance since so we know for sure we have a home for our little guy.

Dear LorieAnneC,
I arrived at Lisbon airport last year in August with my dog. Before traveling a test was required and after getting the results of that test I had to wait 90 days in  my country, my country is not a member of the EU so I assume it applies to Canada as well, however you should double check.48 hours prior to my arrival in Lisbon I had to send an e mail to the Lisbon airport and inform that a pet was coming. After we arrived my dog was examined by a veterinary and all the documents were checked and we paid 40 eur for that.That was super easy.You just need to make sure your veterinary in Canada fills in  the forms with dates and signatures, for example my vet wrote the date but forgot to sign the place where it indicates the implementation of the microchip. The information at the website of Lisbon Airport may give you some direction. https://www.aeroportolisboa.pt/en/lis/p … -with-pets

And as for finding a home I am quite confident it wont be much of a problem as in Lisbon almost in every building there is a dog or a cat
Hope this helpes,
Kind Regards
Zeynep

Also, they must have a fresh rabies shot & a microchip.  Of course, this is from USA.  All this is info from internet & it may vary depending on your country of origin, I would think.

Yes, she is all up to date and microchipped!

I do not know if any rules have been changed becase of covid, but last year at least when we were travelling from Ontario, this is what we needed:
A filled out form signed (many pages form) "Importing domestic animal into EU from non EU country" signed and stamped  by your own vet 4 days before travelling. This form has to be certified by your local Agricuture Canada office's vet. It prooves to the authorities at Lisbon airport that you did not forged the document. Failure to do that they can refuse entry. No special shots needed, just make sure your dog is current on his rabies shot.
Notify Lisbon airport 48 hours in advance that you are arriving with a dog and will be in need of vetrenerian inspection. Make sure you have atleast 40 EU cash with you to pay for this inspection. Once you have that, you can leave the airport.
One warning. Your dog can not leave his kennel box from the time entering the airport building here in Canada, until he passes the inspection and left the building at Lisbon airport. He has to hold everything or will soil himself. Also no water was allowed in his kennel, but we were allowed to put crushed ice into his water bowl (attached inside of the kennel door)
Also make sure you are transporting the dog in an airline appoved kennel.
Hope this will help you
Good luck with your move.

Thank you. This information helps tremendously, because every country is different so I will have a better picture of what to expect. She's used to being crated once in a while, so that also will help her feel safer.... and with a raw food diet, rarely drinks water anyway!

Thanks for your input 🙏