Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Last activity 28 November 2021 by joshefbd48

marciarandle

Hi G - I'll be relocating to Belize shortly as well. California girl similar to how you describe yourself. I'll be there for January to work on my spot and then hopefully returning for good in June 2022.  All the people I've met on my trips to Belize have been so welcoming. Hope you find the same!

Marcia

gthompson206

Hi there! I just returned from visiting friends in the Frankfort area and totally understand. I’m new to this group but seems to be a good place to start. Have a nice trip…gwen

gthompson206

Thanks for connecting!! I have long thought of Belize so look forward to meeting ppl there and here.

rojian0210

Hello Im new here and planning to Belize with my fiancee  in the near future… looking at a property right now. Any advice would be helpful. thanks.

Roj

Diksha

Hello Roj,

Welcome to Expat.com smile.png

The Belize forum is the right place to seek advice. Please post a new topic for any question you may have. Our members will guide you to their best of their abilities. smile.png

Best of luck,

Diksha
Expat.com team

mario2972

Hello

We are Mario & Tray.  Mario here- I am a "digital nomad" as the saying goes. We have lived all over the US and have never found place were we wanted to stay. Then, this past August we visited San Pedro, Ambergis Caye for the first time and absolutely fell in love. I'm in I.T. and thankfully my employer doesn't care where I live as long as I get my work done. I have worked remotely for the majority of the last 17 years.  I recently turned 50 and to be honest, have zero desire to retire. However we are tired of the hustle and bustle and general stupidity that seems to be the way of life in the U.S. of late.
We are coming back in Jan of 2022 and spending a month in Corozal, hoping to find a 2 bedroom rental to extend our stay well beyond just a month. I've been researching online and it seems like Corozal has the simple, laid back lifestyle that we crave. The issue is that we aren't having much luck finding places to look at online. Even when I do come across a rental, it's usually on the Facebook marketplace and there is little to no info other than "for rent', not mention of the number of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. I don't want to start randomly contacting people regarding a rental that very likely won't be available by the time we get there in Jan.
What thoughts/ideas do y'all have regarding this type of situation? Are we doing the right thing coming 'in person' to survey the area and see what is available?
What is the internet service like?
While we do have a membership to Sams club and do shop at Walmart, we don't feel that either is "necessary" as long as we can get the things we need with relative ease (if we have to adjust to places that close earlier than we're accustomed to, that's fine - knowing where to go to get what we need and when they are open/closed if rather important)
I enjoy cooking and loved the local food that we indulged in during our last visit,
Warm weather, friendly people and "developing" are all plusses in our book.
How easy/difficult is is to get around? Will we need a vehicle or will renting one as needed suffice?
We are going to have tons of questions as we move forward into the new chapter of our lives.
Looking forward to any questions, suggestions and/or answers that y'all can provide.

Mario

Ray4s1

Tropical greetings Mario,

As a local real estate broker and land consultant I can assist in finding a rental in Corozal that would be suitable for you. In order to do so, I will need you to provide some guidance on the type of rental you desire. Helpful information would be: single-family home, condo, etc; number of bedroom/bath, locale (local, expat communities) urban, suburban, rural, budget range. This information will allow me to submit you with some options for your consideration. Internet of various bandwidth is available and limited only by the amount you are prepared to pay.  Please feel free to get in touch via raymond@shepherdbelizerealty.com

With best regards,

Ray4s1

mario2972

Ray4s1

Thank You. I have emailed you more specifics.

ClarkForestryLLC

@mario2972

Contact Gabriel Zetina on Ambergris Caye.  Realtor.  Tell him what you are looking for, rental or to buy.  He grew up there and will know the properties.

Contact Noelle Ayala at Unda Da Seas adventures.  He runs snorkel and fishing trips.  Rent a golf Cart and hire him to take you around all of the island.  He grew up there and will give you a non Realtor view.  Tell him Henry said hello.

Recommend you also visit Corozal as noted above, but also Placencia before you make a decision.  Recommend you spend a week at each one.

ycope77

Hi my name is Yvonne.  I  a registered nurse.  I am older but still working as I have no retirement.
I love the beach and the ocean. I am coming in a while for a visit.  Hoping the find a rental and move by spring.    Any advice will help.  Thanks

Cheryl

Hello ycope77,

Welcome to Expat.com  cheers.png

I invite you to create a new thread on the Belize forum in order to ask your questions, since this thread is for new members only.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

bellease

Hello,

My name is Alan, my partner Bernice and I are looking to retire in Belize. We are from the UK and  intend to get a direct flight from London to Cancun in early January. As I understand it, the land border at Chetumal is open for entry into Belize.

I visited Belize 20 years ago and stayed for several months in Placencia, so I have some familiarity with Belize but not since the covid pandemic has restricted travel and accommodation options, so I have a few questions that someone might be able to help with.

First, if we cross the land border at Chetumal, how do we get further into the country. Do we need to book a stay in a Gold standard accommodation if we have a long term rental organised. If we can get an invitation from our potential landlord, will that negate this gold standard need and will public transport (bus) be an option?

Second, car rental will undoubtedly help us in our search for a house to buy, are there any currently restrictions relating to car rental for tourist?

We are simply trying to make our passage into Belize as smooth as possible and the more info that we can get is bound to help in some way.

We look forward to any replies and advice that you can offer.

Kind regards

Alan and Bernice

davidsbrenchley

Can't speak to the COVID restrictions that may have changed due Delta but in July Gold Std, and masks in public were required but there were no restrictions of any kind regarding vehicle rentals.

davidsbrenchley

Ps Set up a Google alert for latest Belize news

joshefbd48

Hi, thx your mail, im Sakhawat,  my t-shirt business have Philippines,  i like belize,  i think belize is so beautiful country

Julien

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=969251

Thanks!

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles