Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Mauritius forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Last activity 31 December 2021 by Ella67

Julien

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mauritius forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you wink.png

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mauritius if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

agalbans6

Hi this is Alberto,

I arrived few days ago, but I was staying already here few years back. I am coming from Spain. I hope I am able to stay as longer as possible

Diksha

Hello Alberto,

Welcome to Expat.com smile.png

Thanks for introducing yourself briefly.

What brings you to Mauritius?  smile.png  If you have any questions related to your plans in Mauritius as an expat, feel free to create a new topic on the Mauritius forum to seek advice from fellow expats and expats-to-be.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Pranav1704

Hi Guys,
I have recently finished my qurantine and looking for an apartment in Quatre Bornes/ Rosehill in the range of 10-15k.

Please contact me if you guys know anything, please assist.

Thanking in advance.

Regards,
Pranav

Julien

Welcome on board Pranav !

Have you already posted an ad in the Mauritius housing section ?

It will surely help wink.png

Femipapa

Hi,
My name is Oluwafemi Lawrence Anifowose, am an English Language teacher wishing to relocate to Mauritius this month as I will like to teach English there. I don't yet have job there but I to secure one soon with help from this forum.

tashwilmot

Hello

My family and I are considering relocating to the island in order to have our child attend secondary and possible tertiary schools.  Starting now on the homework of best english schools, where to live, rental properties, work and residence permits.  We are a Botswana / British family.   Thank you  Natasha

Ramelak

Hi Natasha
Just curious  I live in Botswana too and a couple of private secondary schools in Gaborone aren't bad, Any specific reason you want your child to study in Mauritius?

tashwilmot

Hi

I am aware of the Gaborone schools.  We live in Maun so Gaborone is toofar for a day school option.  I also prefer more exposure in her senior years so out of this country is a must.  We have considered South Africa for boarding options and the UK but having spent time in Mauritius and the fact it is closer than the UK, is why we are considering this option.  South Africa's future is questionable...Natasha

Ramelak

Thanks I understand.  Are u all planning a move to Mauritius.  I am, no schooling issues, just want a nice place to settle down in. If so inclined do send me your cell no so we keep in touch

TALIA 1304

Good Day Everyone My name is Talia 1304,I am from Cape Town South Africa will soon be living in Maurtius.I always came to the island many times before on holiday and fell in love with the place ,the food and the people .I simply cannot wait ,I will be moving with myself and my partner and we are wanting to live in Grand Baie.Take Care Every one ,I also have so many questions to ask the group .
Regards TALIA

Shameer_nb17

Hello Talia 1304,

In case you require any assistance, please let me know.

TALIA 1304

Hi Shameer, Thankyou for your kindness ,will definitely shout out to you .
Regards Talia

ssaib219

yoiu could try this school  contact info for vacancies

careers@northfieldsinternational.school

Sorokio Idoo

Welcome to Mauritius. I'm from JHB
I am sure u will enjoy here on this beautiful island..... This is 2nd home to me.... Enjoying life here...... U Will also.   Tc, enjoy n see u soon

Sorokio

RenataAHUN

Hi all!

I am planning ti move to Mauritius with my  family.
I’m hungarian living in Ireland for a few years.
I don’t even know where to start🙈 but I know that I can see us there...

tomgmu

Hi

Tom here, I'm Hungarian and living in Hungary currently. I would like to move to Mauritius as soon as possible (if I can obtain the new premium visa).
I'm just one guy, no family. I'm looking for a nice & cozy house / apartment close to the beach and restaurants. I'm planning to live in Mauritius long term.

RenataAHUN

Szia! 😊 Remelem hamarosan onnan irjuk a posztokat! Hope we’ll soon be posting from Mauritius! Good luck!

tomgmu

Szia!

Igen en is remelem. Te a csaladoddal koltozol Irorszagbol? En egyedul mennek, de nem tudom meg hova lenne erdemes. Esetleg van valami tiiped, hol lehet ezen a forumon kivul hiteles infot talalni Mauriciusrol?
Arakat meg websiteokat talaltam, de nem tudom melyik hiteles. Illetve hol biztonsagos elni ha part kozelben is akar lenni az ember (snorkeling a maniam). Te jartal mar Mauritiuson? En eltem Azsiaban meg az arab orszagokban, de ez eleg masnak latszik.
MIndenesetre nektek is sok szerencset es remelem ott majd talalkozunk!

Sorokio Idoo

Hi Renata,
How are u, how is life treating you.
Have a great day 🌞 and take care.
What time is it in your country. In Mauritius Time is 8.51am.

Ciao ciao
Sorokio Idoo

Izzy Rivet

Hi there, lived on the island about 10 years ago. Got married and left. Moved back  2019 with our daughter in the hopes of a better life. Currently looking for part time work within the Black River area. So far I haven't found anything as yet, but still holding out hope.
My daughter started school so I need to get back out there and start getting some independence again. If anyone knows of any job availabilities please get in touch.

Coralamy

Hi...My name is Coral...living in the UK at the moment has anybody any idea as to when the ban on UK citizens comming into Mauritius is going to be lifted?...

Guestposter633

The next update will be 28th Feb.
I'm pretty sure the UK will remain on the banned list.
I reckon late March will be the earliest.
Check on the Gov.UK website

Ivan_Katinic

Hi, my name is Ivan. I moved to Mauritius almost a year ago. I am looking for some social activities and get together.
Regards

The OBs

Hi all. I'm Cally and hubby and I are thinking of coming over to Mauritius on a premium visa to get a feel of what it's like to live there as opposed to a holiday. We are from South Africa (Amanzimtoti, Durban) and hope to get in touch with anyone from here too!

Coralamy

Thanks Tim...I read somewhere that thee is a possibility of Mauritius excepting flights from the UK around the 31st of March...do you think that is quite possible,  hoping of course,  that the UK lifts the ban on flying to Mauritius...

Nazly Mall

Good  day , my name  is Nazly  , I  have been  living  in  Mauritius. For approximately 5 months,  i workedas an Executive   Assistant  in South Africa,  I would like to start working again,      please can anybody advise me   of   recruitment agencies  that  I can forward my reaume onto.

TALIA 1304

Hi Nazly , Greetings to you from Cape Town.,Hoping you are enjoying your stay .I am also going to be in Maurtius soon , hopefully in October.,I was just wanting to ask you a few Questions Because I would like to work and stay in Maurtius what visa can  I apply for?To rent accomodations is it difficult?,and are you enjoying your stay so far concerning the heat .
Regards Talia

TALIA 1304

Hi Cally ,my name is Talia,I also lived in Amanzimtoti before moving to CAPETOWN, seven years ago .
Myself and hubby are also thinking and wanting to live in Maurtius ,we are planning to go on a premium visa as we are both over the age of Fifty ,but also planning to work and live there .I would like to keep in touch with you ..Will you be renting a house and where are you planning on staying.
Regards Talia

Nazly Mall

Hi  Talia

I  am from Johannesburg,   my  hubby   works here and  we.are  his  dependents   on his     occupancy permit,      I think with the new rules you are now able to  work as  a dependent.   We live in Grand Baie  in furnished apartment.     It is   a lovely  place  , Mauritius  is  clean   ,  beautiful beaches , I have  mixed feelings..some.days  I  miss  working   terribly and interacting   with people   ,  I do  find it  lonely withput  family and  close friends.   The  heat  some  days   I  find  unbearable  more the hummidity.  We do  find most. ..  things  we.require.

TALIA 1304

Hi Nazly,Thanks for the Response,I have been to Maurtius many times in the past a few years ago ,but now I imagine it to be very different and very new to me .I always stayed at a hotel and never thought that one day I would want to live there .I am so excited about living on the island but also nervous and two minded about selling my home here in Cape Town and buying a house in Maurtius.For the first year we will search and do lots of finding out what we would want to do at the end .if we have to renew our permit and stay in a rented place then that has to be .I would also like to work as well because staying home for two years I will become extremely bored .You can always chat to me and give me updates ,I would love that .I know it is very hot there and that's also a bit of a worry .,I saw that there is Beautiful Shopping Malls and rather every thing at hand in Grand Baie.I also need to look for a good medical aid for the both of us .
Have a Lovely week ahead ahead and take Care .
Talia

Nazly Mall

We,  have not sold our house back home ,  we currently rent it, the rental here  works,  i would.like my own home so that  I  furnish it.to my taste and add a bit of home   but for now it works and nis comfortable,  i do  miss the space.of my home in SA ,  and  a  bigger kitchen for sure.    Hubby  is keen  to purchase property here  in Mau.    I currently have  mixed  feelings  about being  here,  i guess because I   miss Family and  good friends and I miss working  terribly  , I  do find it  lonely at times. But  I am sure with time  it will get easier. At this point   I  am not loving it.

Sorokio Idoo

Hi Nazly,
How are u
I'm from Brakpan, Johannesburg married to a Mauritan and I am a housewife.
I have been working in JHB , am also bored here.  I live in Flacq.

I'm sure u will meet friends here . 
With time every thing will fall into place

Welcome to ur 2nd home..
Best of luck..

Sorokio Idoo

Nazly Mall

Thank you for your   kind  words of  encouragement   I am sure it will  with  time   . I am  just an impatient  person. And user to a gaster pace.

Love and blessings

Beemcee

Pls will like to be in close contact with you,am moving to mauritius soon

Nazly Mall

Hi there, when do you plan relocating

Raeesah9831

Hi All,

I am from Johannesburg South Africa, I work completely remotely and because of this new opportunity I would like to obtain a Premium Visa and move with my Husband and 3 little kiddies (all aged 4 this year) to Mauritius.

I love South Africa so it has not been an easy decision, unfortunately we have to think of the future and Mauritius is a safe beautiful place for my kids to grow up in.

My husband would like to start his own business in Mauritius after a few months of the move.

Any idea what would the rules be if he then had to apply for a self employment visa while on the premium visa?

Also are there any South African's that moved to Mauritius that can give be feedback with regards to culture, lifestyle.

Kindest regards,
Raeesah

Nazly Mall

Hi  Raeesah, my  name is  Nazly  I am  also  from Johannesburg  , I have  been  i  Mauritius   for approximately  6 months,  my  hubby works  here  he  has  been here just over a year  now just before  covid.    I   miss  home alot   I miss  family ,the  support and  good  friends.   Mauritius  is lovely  but     not sure  if  I will love here  permanently.  My  Daughter   completing her degree  here and my son   is in high  school.

PSKara

Hi All
My name is Pravin and have been in Mauritius sine Dec 2019. originally born in Zimbabwe but have been working in South Africa for the last 15 years and have emigrated here with my wife who is originally from here.
I'm a retiree and looking for something to do in Finance / Audit part time.
My working experience has been in the motor industry travelling to various countries in Africa
We live in Palma, Quatre Bornes.
I only speak English and it's been a challenge to learn the local language
Our interests are Hiking, Yoga and meeting people from different backgrounds
Looking forward to sharing our life experiences and interacting with you all in this forum.

Take care ,stay safe and well

Regards
Pravin

Rico20

Hi there maurisearch

Try the housing section first - that's a good guide to start with.
Good luck in your search.
Regards
Rick

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles