Menu
Expat.com

Residency Application

Last activity 03 May 2023 by gwynj

Brynskill

When applying  for residency, how much does each partner need in the bank, and how many months statements do you need to show ?? thanks

roby65

Hi,

You have to demonstate to Immigration Police (Estranjeria Policia Nacional), by giving them a bank balance of your spanish bank's account, to have 6000 Euros per each persons of your family. Advice : first open bank account then go to the Police to do the Nie (Certificate of Residence of European Citizen).

Brynskill

Thanks very Much.

NeelVLC

http://www.cograsova.es/adjuntosmail/20 … ULARES.pdf

DEBBYMAC

Hi, If you have a working contract of around 800 per month, it's not necessary to have that much in the bank. You need to show you can support yourselves.

carl.wiltshire

Hi ROB
Do you have a translation of the residency application form just to see what is required. I have a holiday home in Spain and now want to retire full time and live full time in Spain Manilva area.
Thanks
Carl Wiltshire

carl.wiltshire

i own my home in full
Have a bank account set up by the lawyers i bought my home from 2015
can transfer savings to Spain bank
Have a Nie
Own a car outright
Widowed so live alone (Solo)

Jaynibiza02

When I applied they didn't even look at my bank accounts (also own my house)

Zdravich

It really sort of depends on where you live as to how involved it can get. There is a website for making the appointment and which gives a list of what is needed to apply. It can be translated into English. Here is the link: https://sede.administracionespublicas.g … anguage/en
I would suggest you explore this website and glean as much info as possible. Also, when you go for residency, make sure to have extra copies of everything -- you never know what you will need. I have been through the procedure 2 times and have helped friends. You can message me if you like.

Boabthetoad

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the info, i was thinking of buying as a holiday home, lease it out for a few years and then move over permanently within 5 to 6 years, possibly work from home there or open a small business to supplement my income.

I will go and investigate the websites that you all mentioned.

Many thanks

Jclloydsouthwell

Hi Rob just saw your reply so I must gather you are familiar with the residency process but may I ask a different question in case you might be able to help? For an Australian passport holder not retired but aged alnost 61 is there any way to apply for a long term residency other than the 90 day tourist permit we are allowed when we enter Spain? Many thanks in advance!

Johncar

It appears an Australian national does not need a visa to visit spain fir 90 days

Extract from

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados … YDNEY.aspx

Passport Validity:
Australian and New Zealand Passport Holders travelling to the Schengen Territory for holidays or business do not require a visa for stays of a maximum of 90 days, multiple entries, per period of 180 days (six months) on presentation at the airport of a return ticket and current valid passport with a validity of at least 6 months. When entering the Schengen territory, the 90 days will take effect from the date of entering the first Schengen country.
Your passport must have a validity of 3 months left at the end of your planned journey.

Jclloydsouthwell

Yes thank you but my question is how can one legally stay for periods greater than 90 days without having to leave Spain or the Schengen area? I mean if one wants to stay indefinitely....

Johncar

To stay  indefinitely you would need to apply for residence status.

velastin

Just in case anyone knows. I lived in Spain from around 2014-2018. I am a UK citizen so I have a NIE. My wife is non-EU (from S. America) and she also has a NIE on account to being married to me as at the time I was regarded as a EU citizen. We decided to come back to the UK because of work, so I am not sure if we lost residency. Probably. Anyone knows what we would have to do to go back to live in Spain e.g if I retire soon?. We have Spanish bank accounts and could show enough funds and possibly a regular pension.

RestaurantDoc

Velastin --

You'd need to check with your closest Spanish Consulate, but it sounds to me like you'd want to enter the country on a non-lucrative visa. That is basically a retirement visa and only means you can't do work that would deprive a Spanish citizen of a job. That visa would give you 90 days to initiate the paperwork for your [new] Residencia.

From there, the process should be familiar. The first residencia is good for a year, after which it can be renewed twice for two years at a time. After a total of five years you will be considered a permanent resident.

You might be able to argue a case for consideration of your previous Spanish residency, but that's well beyond my expertise. Might be worth asking an immigration attorney about once you're back in the country, though.

harryrae

On a non-lucrative visa, as a married couple do we need €33000, per year, for each year until 5 yrs? Also, how much do we need each year ofter the 5 yrs?

gwynj

@harryrae

Welcome to the expat.com forum and good luck with your potential move to Sunny Spain!

The NLV is for those who won't work in Spain, and have some form of passive income (rents, pensions, dividends, etc.). Ideally, your income is sufficient to meet the NLV requirements, but, if not, savings are accepted instead.

Once you get your first NLV, you are counting down the clock to 5 years of legal residence. This signifies the magic transition from "temporary" residence to "permanent" residence. The funds requirement for NLV won't apply when you ask for permanent residence, and it won't apply after it's granted (indeed, you can then stay in Spain for the rest of your lives, regardless of your financial situation).

Your income for the NLV is based on the IPREM (Spain minimum wage) which is around 600 euros per month. For main applicant, you need 400% of IPREM, and for family members you need a further 100% of IPREM. That's 3,000 euros per month of income (for a couple). If you don't have passive income, you can show the equivalent of that income for the period of the NLV, as savings. So for one year, about 36k euros (for a couple).

This amount is per year that the NLV is issued for. The first one is (I think) for one year, hence 30k only. I believe that when you renew it, you will get 2 years (hence 60k). And you'll have to renew a second time (2 years, 60k again) to get to the 5 years mark.

I'm not an NLV expert, so it pays to check the exact requirements. I include the official immigration guidance, and a page by a large immigration law firm.

https://www.inclusion.gob.es/web/migraciones/w/autorizacion-inicial-de-residencia-temporal-no-lucrativa

https://balcellsgroup.com/es/residencia-no-lucrativa/#Cantidad_minima_de_dinero_que_debes_tener_para_conseguir_la_la_tarjeta_de_residencia_no_lucrativa

harryrae

@gwynj Thanks for the reply, and thanks for taking the time for such a long reply.

We'll be on a NLV and going to enjoy, not work, done that! 👍👍👍

harryrae

Could anyone who went through or is currently going through the NLA process give an indication to the total costs of this process?

I'm hearing all sorts of figures!

Cheers Harry

gwynj

@harryrae

Ballpark funds required for NLV application:

- You need proof of passive income (pension, etc.), or proof of sufficient savings if you don't have passive income. But this is not strictly a cost (as the income/savings remain yours, and are not tied up by the government as a condition of the NLV).

- You need to submit a formal application at your nearest Spanish Embassy. If you do it all yourself, the costs are minimal. But you might pay an immigration attorney to prepare your application paperwork for you, instead. The former is nearly free, the latter might be 1,000 euros or so.

- I don't think you need a proof of address in Spain for the NLV (but see below). But most folks who are moving to Spain will find themselves a property to buy or rent, and there are obviously significant costs associated with this.

- A private medical insurance policy in Spain is normally required. The cost is very variable depending on your age and pre-existing conditions. But might be 1,000 euros or so. If you are retired with a STATE pension, then you can get an S1 form... and this will entitle you to free healthcare in Spain. I'm not 100% sure that the Embassy would accept the S1, but I'd expect so.

- You need a criminal background check (ACRO), which costs a few quid.

- You need to get a medical certificate (in the approved format/wording), which also costs a few quid.

- You'll find that there are some legalisation (at UK Legalisation Office, London) and translation (by state registered Spanish translator) fees, as some of your official documents might need legalisation and/or translation. The NLV official guidance tells you which documents need what. Depending on exactly what's needed this might be 100-200 euros.

This is to get your NLV. THEN when you get to Spain you need to go get your TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero), which is a biometric ID card, often called a "residencia". This is a different process at your local immigration office instead of at the Embassy. The costs are fairly low. This step definitely needs your proof of address in Spain... together with your Padron certificate from your local town hall (free).

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

• Working in Valencia
    Working in Valencia

Valencia is the capital of the autonomous community of Valencia, an attractive port city with beautiful beaches, a ...

• Customs in Spain
    Customs in Spain

Before traveling to Spain for your new life abroad, you will need to be aware of the country's ...

• Developing your social circle in Seville
    Developing your social circle in Seville

For many people, building a new circle of friends is one of the most daunting aspects of being an expat. Missing ...

All of Spain's guide articles