What struck you about the Netherlands?

Hello everybody,

When you first settled in the Netherlands, you might have been struck by cultural aspects of life in the Netherlands and you might even have anecdotes about your integration here.
We would like you to share with expats-to-be what you discovered once you arrived in the Netherlands: customs, traditions, interesting or fun facts etc.

What were the things that surprised you the most after your arrival?

Are there any practices that are particularly out of step with your culture of origin? If so, what are they?

What do you think about them?

Did you get used to these and adopt some of these traditions or norms?

Do you think you would take some of the customs of the Netherlands with you if you were to return to your home country or move to another country?

Thank you!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

As a Brit, it was the directness of conversation. No footling about not saying what you mean as can happen in England due to people wanting to not offend. It was refreshing on the one hand, and I also took pride in becoming more direct myself. After a few years I actually managed to swear back at another cyclist without hesitancy! However, it was also hard sometimes because racism was more visible and on some occasions it felt like people didn't care, when I felt they should. For instance, commuting to work and rushing through Centraaal Station another commuter and I collided pretty violently, though unintentionally, it really hurt. Not a word of apology or 'are you ok', they just rushed on as if I was invisible and I was left feeling stupid at having apologised when it was a situation of equal blame. But those instances were few and far between, and I really see the value of the collaborative and direct manner of working when it comes to the workplace.