Menu
Expat.com

What struck you about Saudi Arabia?

Last activity 01 April 2021 by Guest823472803

Cheryl

Hello everybody,

When you first settled in Saudi Arabia, you might have been struck by cultural aspects of life in Saudi Arabia and you might even have anecdotes about your integration here.
We would like you to share with expats-to-be what you discovered once you arrived in Saudi Arabia: customs, traditions, interesting or fun facts etc.

What were the things that surprised you the most after your arrival?

Are there any practices that are particularly out of step with your culture of origin? If so, what are they?

What do you think about them?

Did you get used to these and adopt some of these traditions or norms?

Do you think you would take some of the customs of Saudi Arabia with you if you were to return to your home country or move to another country?

Thank you!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

Luqmanksa

Hi.
I landed this land 32years ago.
You can imagine the development occurred during theses three decades
I was so impressed this country is so generous to welcome all from different ethnic to earn their lively hoods
But people are so refined now than before
some of their mind set still in their old shell and didn’t come out yet
The education is the key role here
The culture tradition has changed a lot from a reserved community to a liberal era
The hospitality is still there among the natives
But if you have encounter with administrators law an order and if you are meddling with them it will be very tough and rude
Women’s right are protected and they are so pride
Modernization in so many parts of lives is visible
Climate changes are known
Extreme weather conditions wild sand storm humidity was very common in the past decades but now not that much
The golden era of KSA is no more if I compare from the past
Now most of the expatriates are surviving and not willing to settle back home
Life is not green like what you can see in the other parts of world.  Most expatriates spend their time at home after job. 
Would like to add more but next time

Arnab Roy

Something about Saudi Arabia, when I arrive.
I was stranded in the airport for 2 hours .my company suppose to pick me up .the driver came late, when I asked, he said to me Manchester is playing Tottenham Hotspur. I was stunned (in a good way)
first impression, why nobody thinks of planting trees, I know it not possible everywhere, but can try.
I have seen many times that a good big tree has been cut from the root, because of it making mess.

Regarding taking any customs, I believe in not  cross contaminating my brain regarding customs. I use it and
leave in that country  where it belongs.it makes less confusion.

Might be I will take some words when I go.

Thamouda150960

Hi
My first flight to Saudi Arabia was in Oct. 1987 , I brought with me a wool bed sheet thinking that the weather is cold, but I was surprised when I got out of the plain and found that the weather is hot.
In Jeddah Airport , I went to the public phone to call my sponsor ,but every time I call the answer was the same " The number you've dialed is wrong, please make sure you dialed the correct number"  .As a result I was irritated and frustrated because I always receive the same message after having said that the number I dialed is correct to discover after while that the answer was an automatic voice message played by the Saudi Telecom CO' s system which was unavailable in my country.

cad draftsman

interesting forum...

here is my experience in this amazing country...

i went to KSA when i was around 21 years old... first job was a technician in Khobar...
adjustments are quite difficult at first week but then eventually adapted and get used to it specially the extreme weather during summer.

arab foods specifically shawarma and kabsa were my go to whenever there is chance to dine in.

and time goes by, its been roughly 8 years and still counting and going back and forth to this country....

smile.png

Guest823472803
Thamouda150960 wrote:

Hi
My first flight to Saudi Arabia was in Oct. 1987 , I brought with me a wool bed sheet thinking that the weather is cold, but I was surprised when I got out of the plain and found that the weather is hot.
In Jeddah Airport , I went to the public phone to call my sponsor ,but every time I call the answer was the same " The number you've dialed is wrong, please make sure you dialed the correct number"  .As a result I was irritated and frustrated because I always receive the same message after having said that the number I dialed is correct to discover after while that the answer was an automatic voice message played by the Saudi Telecom CO' s system which was unavailable in my country.

At least now, we have the privilege of being able to check the weather history before packing. 🤣

Articles to help you in your expat project in Saudi Arabia

All of Saudi Arabia's guide articles