Hard to find things in Ecuador

Some things I cannot find in Ecuador:
English marmite.
English Colman's mustard.
Greaseproof (parchment) paper for oven cooking.
Shoe horn.
Non-aluminium bakeware.
Vitamin MK7.
Bed sheets that are long enough.
Ovaltine.

russelleaton wrote:

Bed sheets that are long enough.

Somehow the length of my Quito-bought bed sheets has never been a problem.

My theory is that Russell is taller than my 5-foot-10 inches.

Alternate theory... Russell doesn't like to untuck the far end of the sheets at night.  Untucking the sheets gives me plenty of extra foot coverage.  If cold feet is a persistent problem, the antidote is wearing socks to bed.  An inexpensive alternative is a space heater at the foot of the bed.

cccmedia

russelleaton wrote:

English marmite.

We (original) North Americans have an advantage here.

We don't miss marmite because we never grew up with marmite.

The 'smelly' yeast-based spread originated in the U.K. and has a bigger following amongst folks from there.

cccmedia

russelleaton wrote:

Shoe horn.

I have been wearing lace-up shoes for decades since figuring out that they are more stable than loafers, my youthful preference.

Loosen up the laces .. and for most anyone who can still bend over .. it's a snap getting shoes on without a 'horn'.

cccmedia

If it's worth bringing in stuff you want and Amazon isn't the right shipping answer for you, consider U.S. Global Mail www.usglobalmail.com or other companies that will give you a U.S. address or P.O. Box, such as in Florida.  Often such companies can accumulate your incoming packages and ask what you want forwarded to you.

For fast service, United States Postal Service aka "the post office" says it normally can get deliveries within three days to 190 countries (Ecuador could be an exception during the pandemic or beyond) through its Global Express Service.  At $67 and up per package, it's pricey.  www.usps.com

The dogs of SENAE always lurk in the background with their fancy import taxes.  How does that play out?  Depends in part on what is being delivered.  YMMV.

cccmedia

One thing I will add to that list is Italian Sausage. I've looked in the supermarkets here in Manta several times. You can find all sorts of salchichas, but nothing that looks distinctively Italian (as far as I can tell!). This is important to me, as an Italian-american, & something I use often in cooking Italian dishes (my recipes for lazagna & baked ziti calls for ground up Italian sausage, & I often use those with pasta instead of meatballs). I may resort to making my own, but it would be nice to find someone that sells them in Ecuador.

Damon.

The product I missed most was Flents Ear Stopples, the best-in-the-world soft ear plugs.

When I all but ran out of this product in Quito last year, I ordered from two USA suppliers, figuring one of the shipments would go awry.

Sure enough, customs delays screwed up one shipment.  The other one got delivered right to my condo .. but only after I paid a hefty import tax in person at a banco across town.

--

I am traveling back to Ecuador in a few weeks .. and have a goodly stock of the Ear Stopples with me, purchased online while in the USA.  I should have enough for several years worth of ear plug usage. The 'stopples' are handy for sleeping and the sometimes noisy situations one encounters on the streets and in the markets in South America.

If SENAE or customs agents search my bags and question me about the dozens of small, inexpensive boxes .. I will explain the situation.  I figure the worst case scenario is not confiscation, but rather an import tax.  Vale la pena.

cccmedia

Marmite you are not getting. Unless someone sends it to you.

Likewise colemans mustard, forget it. But you can get "mustard" not the same, but maybe good enough. Unlike marmite of which there is just no option.

Greaseproof (parchment) paper for oven cooking. Should be able to find in micomisariato or supermaxi.

Great list if we are going to be traveling to Ecuador to take with us!

How hard or easy is it to find olive oil?

Finding olive oil?

It's easy if you shop at Mega or Super Maxi.  The latter has been my fave for years when in Quito, on 6 de diciembre along the Ecovía transportation line.

Not so easy if you visit a mom 'n pop convenience store looking for extra-virgin brands.

Downright difficult if you have relocated to the boonies and hope that the tendera  has lined the shelves with decent olive oils in the heart of Nalgas de Cerda.

cccmedia

Chili powder. Polska kielbasa and Italian sausage, good bacon (they have a mild bacon, Tocino), smoked ham. Thermometers (weather type). Gfci receptacles.  Ink cartridges for certain printers. Better off buying printer here. Good dill and deli pickles. Country sausage non existent.  Don't count on shipping anything. Way too expensive.

I'm new here. Just thought I'd mention that  I  bought two sets of queen size sheets on sale at Tia's last week for $10 each. One flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two pillow cases. Covers the bed.

Has anybody tried rappi.com?

The Colombia start-up is a couple of years old and has spread its home delivery service into Quito, Ecuador .. and other South American cities.

Since they have been signing up many stores, restaurants, pharmacies and other merchants .. it may be a wise concept to look for what is eluding you at Rappi.  The name is a play on the Spanish word for 'fast' -- rápido.

----

N.B. -- I have no financial relationship with Rappi.

cccmedia

Very easy to find olive oil of all qualities.

Has anyone seen Monkfruit sweetener there?

Not monkfruit, no, I haven't seen that.

Stevia, in packets and liquid form, is widely available.

cccmedia

Pish. Well, thank you anyway.

You can buy monkfruit sugar (endulzante monkfruit or endulzante de fruta de monje), but it tends to be available in health food stores in Ecuador. Here's an example: https://www.agrodely.com/producto/edulc … -calorias/

What about growing Stevia. Would it be pretty easy to do there?  Which makes me think to ask:   Are there any gardening co-ops?  I realize produce is plentiful, but it's the thought of growing herbs and veggies you can't easily get there.

russelleaton wrote:

You can buy monkfruit sugar (endulzante monkfruit or endulzante de fruta de monje), but it tends to be available in health food stores in Ecuador.

Good one, Russell.

endulzante, the Spanish word for 'sweetener'.

----

As for growing plants, Vilcabamba in southern Ecuador and its Valley of Longevity are world famous for growing, due to the combination of elevation, temperatures, plentiful rainfall and first-class soil.

cccmedia

Excellent! Thank you, Russell. That will work nicely and I already have a list of natural food stores there that I can check. Not a fan of Stevia so this is great news!

Monkfruit and Stevia are totally different. 
I found this facebook link, try this: https://www.facebook.com/LakantoCR/about/

Yes, they are completely different. Thanks for the link but I don't do facebook.

I don't do facebook either, except when I cannot find the info I need elsewhere!

Too toxic!

Rapi isn't in Cuenca. Too sad!

Is chorizo at all the same? Or ok as a substitute?

Arghh, can;t still bend over. I am 75 and enjoying shoes I can step/slide into:)

susanilla wrote:

Is chorizo at all the same? Or ok as a substitute?

Apparently, this is in reference to Damon's post from a while ago about Italian sausage.

Chorizo is a highly-seasoned pork sausage that is popular in various Latin countries, although it varies in some respects from one country to another.

Whether it can substitute in Ecuador for Italian sausage probably depends on the personal taste of the consumer .. and the quality/seasoning of any chorizo he or she consumes.

cccmedia in Quito

susanilla wrote:

Arghh, can;t still bend over. I am 75 and enjoying shoes I can step/slide into:)

If a shoehorn doesn't work anymore and bending-over is a challenge, I can see where loafers and easy-on sandals can be the solution.

cccmedia

SLBergholt wrote:

Has anyone seen Monkfruit sweetener there?

Did not know what this was, but now I want it too....

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mo … what-it-is

I recently saw that monkfruit sweetener is now available in supermaxi (definitely in megamaxi). Re shoe horns, I have been able to buy a couple, but they are hard to find in Ecuador. If you're coming from the US, bring your own.

I've been using it for a few years now. It's an excellent (and healthy) alternative to processed sugar. Thank you for the information as to where I can find it.

Canned Herring!
REAL Ketchup!

I was buying a fruit while in Quito that looked like Taiwan's dragon fruit.  It had a white flesh and black seeds that were edible inside of an inedible YELLOW skin.  The photo in the link is the Red Skinned variety which if I recall is not nearly as sweet as the yellow one.  I asked the store manager prior to leaving Quito (for Ibarra where I am now) and was told the name (quickly of course).  If you held my hand to the fire I would burn before I could tell you what she said they were called here.  Does anyone have a name for this fruit?  Despite having visited multiple food stores and fruit and vegetable markets here, I cannot find it.  There is a Supermaxi in Ibarra so I will plan to go there tomorrow.  It would be great if I had a NAME for this they might recognize.  Thanks in advance.

https://servingjoy.com/wp-content/uploa … ruit-2.jpg

Could it be a pitaya (also spelled pitahaya)?  That has yellow skin.  Do an internet search for pitaya / pitahaya images, it is a member of the Cactaceae family which the dragon fruit is also in.

OsageArcher wrote:

Could it be a pitaya (also spelled pitahaya)?  That has yellow skin.  Do an internet search for pitaya / pitahaya images, it is a member of the Cactaceae family which the dragon fruit is also in.

I think you got it right.  Thanks!  Now at least I can write it down when I go to the market. 
Your help is much appreciated.

https://momobud.sg/the-rare-and-sweetes … -pitahaya/

Hi Mr. Paul, that fruit is called "Pitahaya"   Its skin can be red or yellow.
Almost sure that pitahaya is not available  at Supermaxi,  probably  in a regular mercado. You should visit el Mercado Santo Domingo   or La Playa ( section of fruits).
Good luck.

Sadly, after double checking with the man who stocks the produce for the SuperMaxi in Ibarra, they have only the Red Dragon Fruits, and based on their price, I'm guessing it was flown in from Taiwan.  (I bought the biggest one they had) Next time I am in Quito, I know where my 1st trip will be right after dropping off my bags.  Maybe if I am lucky, I can find the yellow Pitahaya in Otovalo.  Ibarra seems to have not yet discovered this fruit.  (Or Monkfruit sweetener either).  On the plus side, I now have real Heinz ketchup in the fridge.  I think I'll be keeping it in my  backpack so next time I get papas fritas I can watch them all stare at me in shock and awe as I pull out my real ketchup.