Menu
Expat.com

Moving to Saudi Arabia just before the crisis

Last activity 26 April 2021 by Thamouda150960

Diksha

Hi everybody,

Taking the plunge and daring to move abroad is a real challenge, but when your move to Saudi Arabia is marked by an unprecedented health, social and economic crisis, as we have been experiencing for just over a year, this change can be much more significant and demanding. If you moved to Saudi Arabia shortly before or during the pandemic, we would like to know more about your experience.

When and under what circumstances did you move to Saudi Arabia?

What impact did the restrictions have on your integration into the country?

Were you able to make new friends in your host country and get used to the new culture and environment?

Have you had the opportunity to discover the country or the region where you are staying despite that?

Do you feel "at home" in this new place?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

faheemsherwani

it's damn true now a days condition is not good especially fuel price increasing rapidly as well taxes. to compensate their economical crisis they are imposing more taxes and rules especially who are living with families.

nabiha51

Good question! Induced an emotion and could thoroughly relate. So, here's my story:

I had been happily living in the UK, for the past 10 years, had my own business, etc. Last year, i.e., 2020 had traveled to Dubai for a short business trip and had already bought a return ticket to the UK. During the trip, my uncle who was in India, and I were very close to had a cardiac arrest post covid. Since  I was emotionally distraught, my parents who had been living in Saudi Arabia, for the past 30 years called me over. Since I was only an hour and a half away, I didn't think twice and traveled to Saudi Arabia. 
Meanwhile, I also extended my dates to return to the UK.

Within a week, of being in Saudi Arabia, my uncle sadly passed away. He was younger than my father and the most active in our house. He is the younger brother, was also his best friend. My father is very introverted by nature. Whereas, my uncle was very social. Although my uncle was younger, he was more like an older brother to my father.  He was 53 years old and had recovered from Coronavirus. During the time of the arrest, he had gone to play badminton around 5 am in his colony. He felt a slight weakness, and during the match, he went and sat. But soon he collapsed.

My father straightaway booked a flight and went to India. H

During that span, there was no one to look after my father's business. So I decided to look after it in his absence. And this is how I ended up in Saudi after 10 years.

The friends I knew are married and settled in other countries.  There is no way of meeting new people. So, my life currently just involves work and then home. But I remain hopeful for the future.

Lastly, my return flight to the UK is still waiting to be used.

Thamouda150960

Well Saudi Arabia is my second country . I expatriated in 1987, I worked in the largest electronics companies. My relationship encompasses not only Arabs but many nationalities from all over the world. The reason why I'm the top in my company is because I love my job and I'm in pursuit to add something mew to my organization. I'm comfortable with my life here in Saudi Arabia and I'm adapted to the tradition of the country , so there is no problem for me.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Saudi Arabia

All of Saudi Arabia's guide articles