Menu
Expat.com

Is permesso valid if I resign from my job?

Last activity 26 June 2024 by Bhavna

Aman Kejriwal

I have resigned from my current job in italy and my last working day is 26/05/2020.
My permesso di soggiorno is valid till February 2022.

My question is, after my last working day, does my permesso continue to be valid and can I stay in Italy on this permesso? Please note that I do not have another job offer in Italy.

Ahmer Syab

It is valid, you have to get another job before it expires

Aman Kejriwal

Thank you Ahmer. Can yu please share any source for this information? Especially the validity part.

Ahmer Syab

I have gone through this process. They never ask, they only ask when you are about to renew the permit

Aman Kejriwal

That is great Ahmer! Thing is, I am moving from Italy to Netherlands and I want to be sure that my Italian permesso is still valid when I land in Netherlands. I was under the impression that the permesso becomes invalid once my work contract ends.

Having a valid Italian permesso when I enter Netherlands allows me to be exempt from MVV (provisional entry visa).

Ahmer Syab

Its valid, go ahead and enjoy your stay in netherlands.

SimCityAT

You should be asking your questions about the Netherlands in that forum.

stevewongchung

I am dutch and live in Italy; you permit is valid until end date and in holland, depending on how you travel are not even asked for it. Taking a flight at checkin they will check the date on the permit. The Netherlandfs is opening up after after 27th of april in terms of shops and restaurant terraces ( 12-18)

Sangramsingkayte

I have resigned from my current job in Italy
My permesso di soggiorno is valid till October 2022

My question is, after my last working day, does my permesso continue to be valid and can I stay in Italy on this permesso? Please note that I do not have another job offer in Italy.

sreenadhts108

@Aman Kejriwal

Hi, did you face any issue in this matter?

I am in the same situation now. Just want to know if everything is alright.

Also, did you de register from commune or something like that?

Bhavna

@sreenadhts108

Hello and welcome !

It's been 3 years since he last visited the website.

Consider opening your own thread on the Italy forum to seek advice from active members.

All the best

Bhavna

Articles to help you in your expat project in Italy

• Long-term visas for Italy
    Long-term visas for Italy

If you have decided to move to Italy, the question of a residence permit arises first. Depending on your ...

• Residence permits in Italy
    Residence permits in Italy

If you have decided to settle in Italy, you may need to apply for a visa, especially if you come from a country ...

• Visa for Italy
    Visa for Italy

Foreign citizens can enter Italian territory for different reasons like: tourism, study, family reunification and ...

• Short-term visa for Italy
    Short-term visa for Italy

If you have decided to stay in Italy for 90 days or less, depending on your nationality, your current country of ...

• Childcare in Italy
    Childcare in Italy

If you have decided to move to Italy with young children, you have probably chosen the best destination to go to. ...

• The Milan neighbourhood guide
    The Milan neighbourhood guide

Greater Milan, as the Milanese call it, is, without doubt, the most important center in Italy today. It is the ...

• Connecting to the internet and using phones in Italy
    Connecting to the internet and using phones in Italy

Now that you live in Italy, you probably need to stay in touch with your family, friends and the world around you. ...

• Buying property in Rome
    Buying property in Rome

Rome has a complex real estate market, as is the case throughout Italy, and it is not always easy to find a ...

All of Italy's guide articles