Menu
Expat.com

Is it feasible to raise wages and then appeal again?

Last activity 26 April 2021 by RosedaleGP

wang1435

I got an offer from a Swiss private bank,
employer submitted my  EP application on March 17, got rejected on March 27,
submitted appeal on March 31,  rejected on April 19.
Since my salary is 6k, this time my employer decided to raise the salary and appeal again. However, a friend told me that raising salary is no acceptable by MOM and must go through the recruitment process again, thensubmit as a new EP application. Does anybody know if this is feasible or not?

I am in Singapore and have an MBA degree from a local university. 6 years banking experience.

Shekhz

It will attract more attention, unless backed by a strong justification as to why the raise.

beppi

There are two aspects to this question:
1. The employer must stay within the salary range given in the (locals only) jobs bank posting to hire a foreigner (you) for the job. If they want to raise your offered salary above that range, they'll have to post it on the jobs bank again (for a month) with an increased range and can only hire you if still no suitable local applicant is found.
2. Re-applying with increased pay often comes with illegal kick-back schemes (i.e. the increase does not really exist and the applicant has to return the difference to the employer), thus MoM will scrutinize such cases in more detail. But if your employer has a convincing explanation why you are suddenly worth more to them, there is no harm trying.
Remark: S$6000 seems very low to me for an MBA holder with six years applicable experience. Did you check what the SAT tool says for your case?

wang1435

thanks for your help.
1. The raised salary increase is still within the range
2. I checked with SAT and the result showed that I was qualified.

RosedaleGP

From my experience, 6k is a bit low for your qualifications. I recently got rejected with 6k while having 1 year exp and a bachelor degree (internship at an investment bank). SAT does not apply to financial services firms, as you can see from the disclaimer on the website.

Apart from salary, I think it has been very difficult to get an EP if you are working in finance these days.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

All of Singapore's guide articles