Italian moved to Malta asking for residency

Hi,

I am about to ask for the residency as non-dom economically self sufficient.
I have all the requirements, I think, but I am not sure if I have stayed enough in Malta to ask for the residency.
The law seems not to require any previous staying in Malta, while I seem to have read that they ask that you have been staying in Malta already for some months. Is that right?

If I have just a few weeks of staying in Malta: is my request going to get rejected automatically or are they going to receive the application, then give the receipt, and maybe then tell me later that you have to wait, or are they going to just approve it?

Thanks,
Gds

You must have proof of 3 months minimum residency here in Malta to apply for a Residency card. Alternatively you can invest 600,000 euros in a passport which te hnically also requires Residency in country.

You must have proof of 3 months minimum residency here in Malta to apply for a Residency card. Alternatively you can invest 600,000 euros in a passport which te hnically also requires Residency in country.

Any reference regarding that requirement? I though that 3 months was the maximum period you could stay in Malta *without* needing to ask for the residency, not the minimum amount of time required to ask for the residency.

If you want a Residents card you need 3 months proven residency in Malta. As an Italian and as its EU you may stay as long as you like but not necessarily be eligible for residency.

No legislative reference given... do you work at Idendity Malta or have some insight information?

Review https://identitymalta.com/unit/expatriates-unit/ especially “ REGISTRATION CERTIFICATES, RESIDENCE CARDS” under the EU section

Suggest you follow the steps and email them as requested there rather than demanding people who are just trying to help you post legislation etc

Rules ID Malta follows changes often - I applied for mine not after 3 months but they might require it now.

Gds80 wrote:

No legislative reference given... do you work at Idendity Malta or have some insight information?

The rule always was that, as an EU Citizen, you have to apply for a residence card if you stay in excess of 3 months, but in recent years Identity Malta started interpreting the rule as having 3 months as a minimum period living here and with proof required. This was in response to having many false applications for eResidence cards by individuals who did not actually reside here. We have now just completed our 5th application for residency in 8 years, due to moving or expiry of cards, and each time the rules have been more stringent.

I see a lot of misinformation here, first of all YOU DONT NEED to wait 3 months before applying for residency, don't listen to the people here they don't even know what they are talking about, i only been here 2 months and i apply for my residency card after 1 week i was staying here. Now just waiting on my biometric appointment. As long as you fulfill all the requirement you can apply right away, granted you gotta show your bank statement of transaction made here, hence why i waited a week made all the transaction every day and then applied for the residency. Hope this helps

Roberto Malta wrote:

I see a lot of misinformation here, first of all YOU DONT NEED to wait 3 months before applying for residency, don't listen to the people here they don't even know what they are talking about, i only been here 2 months and i apply for my residency card after 1 week i was staying here. Now just waiting on my biometric appointment. As long as you fulfill all the requirement you can apply right away, granted you gotta show your bank statement of transaction made here, hence why i waited a week made all the transaction every day and then applied for the residency. Hope this helps

Yes do listen to them, they have a vast amount of knowledge and they do know what they are talking about!!

I think you are getting confused with different types and different meanings to words.

Two Types of Residency
Depending on where you are emigrating from you can apply for one of two types of residency: the Ordinary Residence or the Permanent Residence. The difference between the two ultimately boils down to how much you are taxed.

Ordinary Residence
Ordinary Residence applies to people coming to Malta from the EU. The tax you pay is worked out by taking from 0 to 35 per cent of your income, minus a tax-credit, depending on how much you earn and marital status.

Permanent Residence
Permanent Residence is open to everyone, no matter what your country of origin is. If you're not from the EU then this is what you need to apply for. You can also apply for this scheme if you are from the EU, but we recommend always consulting a lawyer to see which scheme is more suited to you.

You will need to renew you ordinary residence permit every five years, while permanent residence permits are renewable every year.

Source: Thinking of moving to Malta

Roberto Malta wrote:

Actually most people who have replied have been here a lot longer then you and do know what they are talking about, we have always had to show three months worth of bank statements.

SimCityAT wrote:
Roberto Malta wrote:

Yes do listen to them, they have a vast amount of knowledge.

I think you are getting confused with different types and different meanings to words.

Two Types of Residency
Depending on where you are emigrating from you can apply for one of two types of residency: the Ordinary Residence or the Permanent Residence. The difference between the two ultimately boils down to how much you are taxed.

Ordinary Residence
Ordinary Residence applies to people coming to Malta from the EU. The tax you pay is worked out by taking from 0 to 35 per cent of your income, minus a tax-credit, depending on how much you earn and marital status.

Permanent Residence
Permanent Residence is open to everyone, no matter what your country of origin is. If you're not from the EU then this is what you need to apply for. You can also apply for this scheme if you are from the EU, but we recommend always consulting a lawyer to see which scheme is more suited to you.

You will need to renew you ordinary residence permit every five years, while permanent residence permits are renewable every year.

Unfortunately, much of the information in 'Moving to Malta' is not correct. In the first instance, as an EU Citizen, you apply for ordinary residence, then after 5 years here you can apply for permanent residence. As far as the application itself is concerned whilst the law states that you should apply for residence if you intend to remain here more than 3 months and can do it from day one, in practice, in most cases, the Identity Malta office will wish to see 3 months of proof of residence. The case of Roberto above does not mean that everyone who posts on here is wrong, his application is not complete yet so we will have to see what happens.
Our first application 8 years ago when the current system was first rolled out took 8 months even though we applied within a week or two of arriving, our next new card after moving was not a problem. After that, our next three, including the current 10 year residence card we collected yesterday (which took 7 months)  we still had to show bank statements covering the last three months to show proof of residence.
Many who have applied recently have had there applications put on hold with a request for further information and especially because of queries on bank statements. I would not be surprised if the member above is asked for further proof of residence at the time of the actual appointment when biometrics are processed.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
Roberto Malta wrote:

Yes do listen to them, they have a vast amount of knowledge.

Two Types of Residency

Ordinary Residence

Permanent Residence

Unfortunately, much of the information in 'Moving to Malta' is not correct. In the first instance, as an EU Citizen, you apply for ordinary residence, then after 5 years here you can apply for permenant residence. As far as the application itself is concerned whilst the law states that you should apply for residence if you intend to remain here more than 3 months and can do it from day one, in practice, in most cases, the Identity Malta office will wish to see 3 months of proof of residence. The case of Roberto above does not mean that everyone who posts on here is wrong, his application is not complete yet so we will have to see what happens.
Our first application 8 years ago when the current system was first rolled out took 8 months even though we applied within a week or two of arriving, our next new card after moving was not a problem. After that, our next three, including the current 10 year residence card we collected yesterday (which took 7 months)  we still had to show bank statements covering the last three months to show proof of residence.
Many who have applied recently have had there applications put on hold with a request for further information and especially because of queries on bank statements. I would not be surprised if the member above is asked for further proof of residence at the time of the actual appointment when biometrics are processed.

Fair enough, but I still stand by my comment at which the Roberto Malta says don't listen to them.

I have had a different news regarding the program; it seems to have been deactivated. Considering that, as the last post correctly says, there are different type of residency, what do you get from the following?

https://residencymalta.gov.mt/malta-res … programme/

Appreciate everyone input here. GD was asking if he can apply for residency or need to wait 3 months to do so and while they may need proof that you stayed here 3 months that doesn't mean you cannot apply right away after 1-2 weeks you been here. Cause by the time you get the biometric appointment you can then show them you have been here long enough. So i was pointing out what SJ was saying that you need to be here 3 months before even apply and that's not true. As i said i applied 1 week after i was here, and i am almost been 2 months in Malta now, so by the time they will call me for the biometric appointment i will have enough proof from my bank statement. So GDs you can go ahead an apply for the residency , will save you sometime as they have been quite slow at Identity Malta

So, it does take a lot.
Did  you give you some receipt or answer when you sent you application? Btw, did you send it by email of in person?

Thanks.

Roberto Malta wrote:

Appreciate everyone input here. GD was asking if he can apply for residency or need to wait 3 months to do so and while they may need proof that you stayed here 3 months that doesn't mean you cannot apply right away after 1-2 weeks you been here. Cause by the time you get the biometric appointment you can then show them you have been here long enough. So i was pointing out what SJ was saying that you need to be here 3 months before even apply and that's not true. As i said i applied 1 week after i was here, and i am almost been 2 months in Malta now, so by the time they will call me for the biometric appointment i will have enough proof from my bank statement. So GDs you can go ahead an apply for the residency , will save you sometime as they have been quite slow at Identity Malta

All well and good, but until you have that appointment and have visited the office with all your completed forms and other required information you have not made your application, you have done no more than request an appointment to do so!
If and when your documentation has been checked at that interview and thought to be satisfactory they will take the Biometric information and then pass your application to Identity Malta for confirmation or otherwise. You will at that time be given a receipt to show that your application has been made.

Gds80 wrote:

So, it does take a lot.
Did  you give you some receipt or answer when you sent you application? Btw, did you send it by email of in person?

Thanks.

You can request an appointment on line but everything else has to be done in person at the office.
You will not be given a receipt for anything until the processing has taken place at the Residence unit and your paperwork is judged to be in order.
Until then you are simply a visitor to Malta.

I sent it by e-mail, only "receipt" i got is their reply via e-mail confirming that they received all the documents

Yeah by the time they call me for the biometric appointment i will have the bank statement ready for them, is just that by apply right away it will save me a lot of time. Btw how long does it usually take from the application sent to the actual biometric appointment?

Gds80 wrote:

I have had a different news regarding the program; it seems to have been deactivated. Considering that, as the last post correctly says, there are different type of residency, what do you get from the following?

This is not the program EU members are applying under so does not apply to this thread.

As for requiring bank details and transactions, this is not needed or required by law, I've had to do no such things ever.

volcane wrote:
Gds80 wrote:

This is not the program EU members are applying under so does not apply to this thread.

As for requiring bank details and transactions, this is not needed or required by law, I've had to do no such things ever.

We have always had to show bank statements even when we applied for the new ten year residents card which we collected yesterday.

volcane wrote:
Gds80 wrote:

We have applied for the eResidence card a total of 5 times including the latest 10 year Brexit card. The first 2 occaisions we did not need to show banks statements and it is not a legal requirement but has still been demanded for the last 3 applications. Although we have been here 8 years we have never bothered with Permanent residency as there were no real benefits to us in doing so but with the residence card applications they do not normally ask for bank statements if you do have permenant residence but in recent years all the people I know who did not bother with it have had to show proof of residence covering 3 months and at the insistence of the residence office this has taken the form of bank statements.
Indeed two people I know had all their paperwork in order and it was accepted by the residence office but the bank statements were rejected by Identity Malta Management who make the actual decision  and had to submit new ones.

Roberto Malta wrote:

You could not have done what you did before that is make an appointment as you never had to have an appointment you just waited three months then applied.

Even for my brexit one, no bank anything required when I went.  But that's perhaps because I have plenty of proof of connections due to owning a business etc - but I also had to show no proof of that.  Just my tax number etc.

Anyway, the point of all this isn't about who is right, the point is ID Malta does whatever they feel like on the day, law or not doesnt matter.  OP should contact them and just struggle through it, simple as that.  Demanding we furnishing legislative documentation for simply stating our experiences is crazy.

I see a lot of misinformation here, first of all YOU DONT NEED to wait 3 months before applying for residency, don't listen to the people here they don't even know what they are talking about, i only been here 2 months and i apply for my ... - @Roberto Malta

Sorry, may I ask a stupid question?

We are also moving to Malta from Italy and also want to apply for residency as economically self-sufficient people, but we don't have a bank account in Malta.

Can we provide our Italian bank statement (not sure if they have an English version...) as the supporting document while we apply for our residence card?

Or do we need to open a Maltese bank account and transfer money to Malta and then apply for residency?

@VICTORIA168 Bank statement from abroad is fine, that's what I gave them :)