What do you wish you brought to the DR?

Hi everyone, just purchased a home in Punta Cana!

Is there anything you did not bring but wish you did?

We will not be shipping but purchasing furniture in the DR. Have read many posts on where to shop. Will be bringing household items in our suitcase, will this be a problem with customs at Punta Cana airport?

Has anyone had furniture made and if so where. Any recommendations on best place to buy air conditioners(we need them) lol and mattresses? I have read about bringing sheets and towels. Anything else?

For snowbirds, is humidity a problem when you are “back home”. If so what do you do?

Have so many questions and can't remember them all. Lol

Thank you all for your input!

Welcome to the forums!   We all can help. 

I am in Santo Domingo and there are amazing places to shop.  Ilumel and Illumel outlet to start with.  I am not allowed to go in there with a credit card.  :D

Air conditioner - you need to have the house assessed for sizes and the best bet is get three quotes from local companies.

Mattresses - we have Simmons and other distributors here in Santo domingo.  And yes lots of places to have furniture made. 

We also have Ikea of course, great for many items.  Appliances look at Corripio for quality and guarantee!

Thank you for your response!

You are very welcome!

Hi.
We are in a very similar process so this post was just perfect for us.

Question
Of we buy in Santo Domingo, do they deliver it to Punta Cana, or in my case, to La Romana??

Thank you.

Hi hope all is well.  Did you guys buy property in La Romana ? Or renting ? I am looking to buy land and build a home.
La Romana is a very nice area. Close to everything

Hope you guys enjoy the DR

Rich

Some stores deliver and some you make your own arrangements.

Oh poor souls.  Good luck.
Prepare for many trips to-and-from to bring in the things you like.  The Vitamix, the Hurom, the Dyson vacuum cleaner, the good hair dryer, the good Crate and Barrel wares.  You'll figure it out in time and order the rest thru a courier.

No issue at customs in PUJ UNLESS your items are wrapped / brand new with tags.  They (DGA) are concerned with people bringing in merchandise for sale and not paying taxes.  Not concerned if for your own use.  Don't fight me on this.  I have gone into this airport 100 times.

I was stopped once for bringing brand new clothes with tags.  From Gap.  There was a "boutique" in the Punta Cana Village selling new clothes from Gap and JCrew. I was not her.   But they thought I was.  I removed the tags in front of them (DGA) because I was not selling them, hello I had just bought them to wear myself, just kept the tags, didn't have time to remove them before packing.  I yanked the tags in front of them with confidence.  That seemed to satisfy them. 

Also it's not so much about where to buy air conditioners as much as WHO installs them.  Oh God.  God bless your soul and protect you.

When we were making our final move here, we started by bringing 16 luggage's between myself, my wife and my 5 year old.  I think I paid $250Ca dollars for the additional luggage's.  I walked through the airport loaded to the hilt and they didn't even ask me to open a single bag...

Maybe it was my good looks and charm... :cool:  lol

Omg too funny!

Must have been those good looks and charm! Lol

lol

Someone always has a story where they got away with everything!  When they killed a crocodile with their bare hands!  Their mango tree produced 1,679 mangos and not one was bit by birds!  How they caught 72 dorados in one trip!  And when their boat docked, there was a restauranteur who was paying $200 a pop!  How many years in the DR again?

:lol::lol::lol:

Hi. We will be renting. We are moving bc of my job.

Sounds silly but I had a heck of a time finding a crock pot. And the one I did find gets really hot on the outside.  There are rice cookers galore. My husband would die of shame if I used a rice cooker. Lol

Why the hell a crock pot you ask. Cause if you fill it up in the morning,  even after a boozy, hot, sandy day at the beach,  you can still have dinner!

Hola,  We have purchased a condo in La Romana.  Is there any where close by to purchase furniture online other than Ikea?

Plaza lama delivers.  LyR may deliver.  Both are in la Romana and have online sites