Menu
Expat.com

How to be happy as an expat in Saudi Arabia

Last activity 10 September 2024 by Mishmwesh

Cheryl

Hi everyone,

Being happy is surely our common goal, whether we are living in Saudi Arabia as an expat or somewhere else.
We would love to know your tips and tricks to be fully fulfilled and happy as an expat in your host country.

New environment may require new habits. Which habits did you have to implement to live a good life in Saudi Arabia?

How do you keep stress in check? Which activities or mantras help you in that regard?

How to form meaningful connections and create a support system in Saudi Arabia on which you can rely on?

How to track your goals and achieve them without feeling overwhelmed?

What did you learn from Saudis about the notion of happiness and how does it inspire you?

Thanks for your contribution!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

Javiddoc

One main element of happiness is how much energy you have within yourself, I have seen people living very happily and enjoying the local resources even in very tougher places. Saudi arabia also has lot to explore now it depends upon you how u mine it.
Like i like diving so had opportunity to do my open water diving course by PADI and now whole  Red Sea with full of its rich marine life is open for me to explore. Saudia Arabia is holy place for Muslims here being muslim you have lot of opportunities to explore the spiritual part of yours. Likewise many historical and natural places to explore. I live in Jazan and explored lot of natural sites like frasan island, fayfa hill place, lajab vallay with 2 km long water stream between high mountains and hot springs and so on explored so similarly one can explore the aspects one likes around him. Stay safe stay happy smile.png

drislambana

i will tell you what i have done once i have been to Jeddah s expat
i registered in intonations app its app for expats , contains lots of groups arranging lots of events , by time i get to know very good friends and eventually we go out together as a group now

Thamouda150960

Well happiness is a mind set and mental attitude ,it's in out process , in other words, happiness comes from your inner belief that you, only you who create this pleasant emotion. Wherever you are you can transform the gloomy time into a beautiful moment of happiness and joy.
Although, the American constitution pledges to secure happiness for the American citizen in the following statement: " We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..." . In fact the science of happiness harnessed us with the practical ways that contribute to your happiness for instance ; gratitude, love, helping others , philanthropic activities, never compare yourself with others who are in a higher status than you,  live your moment, etc...
You may also read the concept of Martin Seligman called PERMA , it's an efficient philosophy revolves around happiness and how to enjoy a good life.
As an expat in Saudi Arabia , and the people of Saudi Arabia are among the most happiest people in the world not just in terms of income but lot of factors, they are outgoing and easy personalities, relationship centered... When you intend to live in KSA ,You may enroll in GYM or workout in Corniche or special areas designed by the municipality of the city you live in. If your hobby is reading you my be a member of Jarir Bookstore  enjoying a special discount on different books that nourish your mind. There are a lot of malls and entertainment places where you can spend a good time.

Guest8932

Hi,
My self Hashmi working in Saudi Arabia since 2002, and my experience is If you are living in Saudi With your wife, Kids and parents you will be happy, try to stay with your family so that you will be happy ever......
God Bless All
Alhumdulillah Allah is the Best Planner.

Regards

zakimng

Assalam Allaikum,
My self Zakir Hussain, working in Saudi Arabia since 2010, sincerely speaking my experience is to be happy in Saudi Arabia in 2 ways.
1. If we are living in Saudi With our wife, Kids and parents we will be happy, try to stay with your family so that you will be happy ever........   Now a days most expats sending their family back due to Levy & most of them are depressed. I hope Custodian of  2 holy mosques will be mercy to review on it & take some bold steps as he shown mercy to labors by changing labor law.
2. Saudia Arabia is holy place for Muslims here being muslim you have lot of opportunities to explore the spiritual part of yours. we will be happy as we can leave as per sharia by following Islamic fundamentals & maximum use our time on good deeds. Leaving in jubail city is also a great pleasure.

Al hamdulillah, Allah bless all of us & keep happy.

albaqi ali

I hope 14 march maybe govrmant make some good low,samelike any expat selery3000 or 3500,but now after 14 march job dimund only 1400-1700,i dont know ho pay iqama ,kofil, tiket ,huoging, any sponsore nolike to pay this all .
I hop k s a gov:if do somthing for experience pepol . maximum 3500sr we are happy,best rigerd.     al baqi ali .riyadh k.s.a.

manit14

Being alone is very difficult here as it is not like open European country. Very depressing here.

manit14

I am not happy here as i am totally alone. Can any one become my girl friend? so that i can share some good times here and be happy. please reply.. TIA.

Phiwe Ndumo

@Cheryl ho there! I’m  browsing as much as i can as i prepare to move to Riyadh i  January to join my husband. im also looking for work because I know sitting at home will not be suitable  . if you know of any recruiters that could assist id be more than happy to send my cv.

thank you Cheryl!

Bhavna

@Phiwe Ndumo

Hello and welcome !

Feel free to create your CV in the Jobs in Saudi Arabia section of the website and find some tips in the Work in Saudi Arabia articles.

All the best

Bhavna

I am Jack s Medulla Oblongata

Hello.

I'm practically a newbie here in Saudi. 'Been here for 9 months now and I like it so far.

I'm not new in being an Expat, I've worked abroad since 2011. One thing I can say about keeping one's stress levels in-check is finding other activities to keep your mind and body busy other than work. For me I draw and paint. I guess you could say, that is my passion. So as long as I have a pencil, paint and paper with me, I can be anywhere and be happy.

-Jack

Mishmwesh

@I am Jack s Medulla Oblongata

Glad you like it. Most newbies find it very hard to cope.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Saudi Arabia

All of Saudi Arabia's guide articles