Menu
Expat.com

Moroccan divorce? (I'm in the UK, husband is in Morocco)

Last activity 27 June 2021 by dolle1980

travel_addict

I'll try to keep this post short, looking for some guidance/advice please.

I'm a British female (living in the UK) and in 2013 I married a Moroccan man in Morocco.
He moved to the UK with me but was later removed by the Home Office and sent back to Morocco. This was because of his violence towards me and threats to abduct our child to Morocco.

We agreed to divorce... he said "I divorce you" more than the required 3 times, and we have now spent more than 4 years apart.

Today he contacted me to say he needs "my help" to finalise the divorce (I pressume to sign paperwork) as he wants to re-marry in 2 months to a new wife. He needs our divorce paperwork to be in order for this to be allowed to go ahead.

I asked me to send me English translations of anything he needs me to sign and I'll be happy to do so, but he insists that I MUST hire a Moroccan lawyer to "represent me" in the court hearings in Morocco.

I don't contest the divorce and just want him or his lawyer to send me anything I need to sign.

I don't see what I should go to the expense of hiring a lawyer or getting involved in court hearings etc when we both already agreed to and want the divorce.

We have no joint assets like property or money etc.

We have a child together but the child lives with me in the UK.

Anyone have experience of finalising a Moroccan Islamic divorce without actually being present in Morocco.

Am I correct in thinking my husband or his lawyer can just send me the relevant paperwork to sign?

abizaman
travel_addict wrote:

I'm a British female (living in the UK) and in 2013 I married a Moroccan man in Morocco.
He moved to the UK with me but was later removed by the Home Office and sent back to Morocco. This was because of his violence towards me and threats to abduct our child to Morocco.

We agreed to divorce... he said "I divorce you" more than the required 3 times, and we have now spent more than 4 years apart.

Today he contacted me to say he needs "my help" to finalise the divorce (I pressume to sign paperwork) as he wants to re-marry in 2 months to a new wife. He needs our divorce paperwork to be in order for this to be allowed to go ahead.

I asked me to send me English translations of anything he needs me to sign and I'll be happy to do so, but he insists that I MUST hire a Moroccan lawyer to "represent me" in the court hearings in Morocco.

I don't contest the divorce and just want him or his lawyer to send me anything I need to sign.

I don't see what I should go to the expense of hiring a lawyer or getting involved in court hearings etc when we both already agreed to and want the divorce.

Anyone have experience of finalising a Moroccan Islamic divorce without actually being present in Morocco.

Am I correct in thinking my husband or his lawyer can just send me the relevant paperwork to sign?

Can I say it’s very kind of you to even answer an enquiry from him. Most people would just hang up and block him.

Moroccan lawyer will prepare papers (about £150 to prepare ) post them to you in uk via dhl £50 to sign and return

You could
a) ignore,  then after two months the divorce will be granted anyway.
B) or  be nice after his nastiness from the past and help with a speedy divorce do the following

Receive papers sent via dhl go to uk lawyer to sign  and get  them translated and do the apostile (attestation) from local council. uk lawyer will send them back via dhl to him or his lawyer
To be submitted to court with both  signatures.
Wait a week or two divorce done. He should send you confirmation which he may not.

Job done. No need to travel to Morocco or even engage him.

Capoppy55

I don’t know the answer but I am curious to know the answer as well.  I did previously read that, at least for an American, both parties need to be present OR have a proxy.  Don’t know how that works, either.

travel_addict

Thank you very much for your reply.
I would have been tempted to ignore him as he has been very nasty in the past.
I don't feel it should be MY responsibility to chase around, finding a lawyer, arranging translations etc.... He was deported from the UK after threatening to murder me and abduct our child.
I don't even have the money to pay for lawyers, legal fees, translations etc.
All my money it is to pay my day to day living costs (very expensive in the UK!).
Is there no alternative way round this? Would it be acceptable for me to just email his lawyer a letter ot say I agree with the divorce?

abizaman

Well it seems that though he’s nasty to you (now and or in the past ) you’ve chosen to show magnanimity and kindness. This is lovely of you.

So yes you can ignore and in 2-3 months the Moroccan judge will grant him divorce. So yes do nothing and he will get his wish. There won’t be any payouts as it seems you just want to get rid.

Or google the apostile service. They will handle everything and get him to pay. But it’s probably too much communication with him.

It seems he will get his wish of divorce anyway so why bother with rushing

guestposter15352
travel_addict wrote:

Hello, Below you have the link to the official website of the Kingdom of Morocco, you may can read through it and then contact them to find out what exactly would be the procedur concerning your particular case. Good luck!  https://consulat.ma/en/divorce-morocco

guestposter15352

Good morning

You do not need a lawyer to get divorced in morocco. If you both agree to a divorce that's very straightforward and a divorce certificate should be issued. The only issue is The custody of your child which needs to be agreed. Make sure that this is resolved especially if you or your child are planning to visit Morocco. If your ex needs a confirmation that you agree to the divorce than a sworn confirmation can be done through the Moroccan consulate and sent to him. You can get more clarification about this from the Moroccan consulate in London.
I hope this helps and good luck

travel_addict
abizaman wrote:

Well it seems that though he’s nasty to you (now and or in the past ) you’ve chosen to show magnanimity and kindness. This is lovely of you.

So yes you can ignore and in 2-3 months the Moroccan judge will grant him divorce. So yes do nothing and he will get his wish. There won’t be any payouts as it seems you just want to get rid.

Or google the apostile service. They will handle everything and get him to pay. But it’s probably too much communication with him.

It seems he will get his wish of divorce anyway so why bother with rushing

Hi, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
Are you sure he'll definitely still be able to get the divorce through the Moroccan courts without my compliance? I've repeatedly told him "please send me the relevant papers to sign" but he still hasn't sent them. He's pushing me to "hurry up" as he wants to re-marry in 2 months from now.
What's the procedure for him being able to still get the divorce without my involvement? Would he just have to tell the judge I'm being uncooperative? How would it work?
And if he gets the divorce without me getting involved, would I still receive a copy of the final paper? Would the court send it to me?

Paul_R

Hello,

I would ask him for money. Child support money past and to come until the child is out of university ... up in front. Plus of course to hire his and your lawyer and pay for the whole divorce process. Make sure in a written fashion your lawyer will never expect you to pay anything should your ex husband to be fail in his commitment 🥴

That should settle it.

The first questions a lawyer will ask are :
Where did you get married ? UK, Morocco ?
How long did the couple live in UK ? (Actually out of Morocco)
How long did the couple reside together ?
How long has the couple been separated ?
After separation did the father ever support the child in a timely, regular manner ? If yes develop.

Actually i would sum it all up in a written format without delay. Should you need it, you will be long prepared ready to pull it out.

The other end of the stick is women, wifes have been gaining rights since M6. Added the ones religion has given. I would try to talk to an educated divorced moroccan woman to get some insight on what those rights may be. I think you would be surprised.

Only once you know the rules, you can play the game.

Don't forget to have fun in the liberating process. Having Fun is a crucial aspect of life.

abizaman

I think this lady would like to have nothing to do with this man. And the most “fun “ would be to have him simply disappear so she can live her life in peace.  I don’t think there is any question of asking for anything as then there is the issue of enforcing it when somebody esp in another country doesn’t follow through.

LichelleC

In short, I believe he may be asking you to hire a lawyer to divorce him because he does not choose to or have the money to hire a lawyer.

If your marriage was recognised or recorded in the UK, you may need to check with the UK embassy on what the process is.

All the best.

I wish you all the best with this.

travel_addict

Hello everybody was was kind enough to answer my questions about divorcing.
Just to update you, I have decided NOT to get involved with the Moroccan divorce process (such as hiring a lawyer and completing paperwork etc).
My husband sent some very nasty and abusive messages this week, so I told him to go ahead and do the divorce without my involvement. Told him I'm not going to pay any money, hire a lawyer or send papers. If the Moroccan court will give the divorce in any case without me (it takes 2 or 3 months I think), then that's ok.
He got angry and said without my help it will take 6 to 12 months, but that's not my problem. He is behaving very nasty at the moment, so I decided not to have any more contact with him. Thank you for all the advice on this forum, I appreciate it.

dolle1980

Marriage is not easy to broke by anger or joke, if you do not want to live with him , you must process the documents for divorce if you have legal marriage. I am not favouring side of either you or neighter your beloved husband. Anger mòod from evil ( Shaytan) and happy life from Allah. I belive both must be calm and sit together and finalize divorce or live together.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Morocco

• Choosing your neighbourhood in Marrakech
    Choosing your neighbourhood in Marrakech

Marrakech comprises five leading neighborhoods, namely Medina, Mellah, Gueliz, Hivernage and Chrifia. Each of them ...

• Getting married in Morocco
    Getting married in Morocco

If you want to get married in Morocco, there are different steps and a variety of procedures to follow. These can ...

• Casablanca neighbourhoods
    Casablanca neighbourhoods

Stretching over 220 km², Casablanca is more than twice the size of Paris. Like all historical cities and ...

• Opening a bank account in Morocco
    Opening a bank account in Morocco

Opening a bank account in Morocco is relatively easy. The language barrier could be an obstacle if you do not ...

• Making phone calls in Morocco
    Making phone calls in Morocco

During your stay in Morocco, you will certainly wish to keep in touch with friends and family. To do so, you can ...

• Getting around Marrakech
    Getting around Marrakech

In Marrakech, there are many means of traveling inside the city and outside, whether for work or leisure. Each of ...

• Getting around Casablanca
    Getting around Casablanca

Moving around in Casablanca is a day-to-day challenge. However, the city has a fairly developed ...

• Driving in Morocco
    Driving in Morocco

You can drive with an international driver's license in Morocco for a period of one year as from your date of ...

All of Morocco's guide articles