Animal Transport

Hi All,

I've done my due diligence regarding transporting several animals to CR. All my research led to chartering a plane. Doing so is costly but seems to be the only option that fits my needs.

I'm wondering if anyone on this site moved to CR with multiple animals. If so, how did you manage it?

Hello -

Could you talk a little more about what options you looked into, and why they didn't meet your needs ?  How much is chartering a plane ?  Is this something you can do in a small group to reduce the cost ?

Damon

Hi.. I came to Costa Rica with two labs. What can I help you with?
For me the airline ticket for my dogs cost me $100 each

How many let's are you talking about?

Asusena -

Can you describe a little more what the process was like when you brought your two labs to CR ?

Since they are labs, I'm assuming they didn't fit under the seat :) so they would have been in the luggage compartment.

When you arrive at the airport with the animals, how do you check them in ?  Do you bring them to a special place in the airport ?

When you arrive in CR, how do you then retrieve your animals ?

Was the process okay for the animals, so far as you know ?

Damon

I am planning on bringing my 2 dogs and 2 cats with me. The dogs will fly on separate trips and I will have friends or family come with the cats. I have to certify my pit bull as an ESA animal as no airline will accept them in cargo and the only airline flying from my area currently allowing ESA animals is Copa. I'll have my other dog certified as well because in CR animals are treated as baggage by airport handlers….. and since I can only bring one at a time I'll have to make 2 trips….So for me it's gonna be a hassle but not too expensive. This has caused me numerous nights awake thinking….

Pitbulls are allowed as service dogs by Delta airline. Check their website. Just feel the required form.

It all sounds nerve racking but give you all so much credit for the time you take the love you have for your pets.  I have 2 small dogs, one has a stable medical issue and at times he coughs and gags especially when he stands up in his carrier and moves around to another position.  It makes me nervous so I can only imagine other people on a regular airline carrier.  I am afraid they will get worried and then put my dog in a holding area in CR as they dont know that what he has is anatomical and not contagious.  Of course, I would have his Vet's notes etc and I speak fluent Spanish but I will not make a trip with him at this time.

Hi dkoronakos...

I'm transporting 7 animals. Since I'd have to take seven different trips to carry each one individually with me and working within the constraint of a health certificate only being good for 10 days this option is no good. I could hire 6 pet Nannys to fly with me, paying for their service and 6 RT airline fares; don't want to do that either.

I'm also moving an elderly mom to CR with me. This combined with the ability to transport some personal cargo and an easier time going through customs (don't have to deal with flying into an International airport) charting a plane is the best route for me.

There are many options for chartering a plane including chartering one for a group. You need to contact a company that has their own planes or a broker. Tell them your needs and they will help you find the best way to fill them.