Decorating home Estonian style!

Greetings!

I glanced through other threads at the forum, and I hope this one could bring some refreshing variation to the topics usually dealt with. Please don't take me wrong: this is probably the least important of all, and there are some really serious topics discussed over here! Props for that.

So, I'd like to open a discussion about Estonian interior design. I have recently moved to Estonia and rented an apartment, but I'd like to decorate it with something really Estonian. I know that the country-profile is really specific: Estonia was occupied by the Soviet Union for a period 48 years and 3 months, and needless to say that under the Communist rule the private enterprises seized to exist.

To be honest, I already started searching for traditional Estonian textile manufactures (curtains, bed linen, you name it...) before I realized why everything seems to be so fresh and new.

Anyways, in FInland we've got some traditional / famous brands like Finlayson, Vallila, or Marimekko that are considered to be the thing. And of course, many countries have their own national pears of prestige. Threfore, I am asking if the good people of this forum could help me to discover the hidden pearls of Estonian interior design in order to make my new home breath the essence of Estonian culture and creativity!  :)

Thanks a lot in advance to all of you!

Lugupidamisega,

–Golova

In my opinion, I think young Estonians use a modernist-like, functional like decoration style. But I haven't lived for too long in Estonia to have a "waterproof" opinion, and Tallinn is very different to rural areas. All said, most of the homes I have seen were sort of functional; Ikea-style. Perhaps because Scandinavian countries are a model for them.

Anyway; I think I can give you a more solid opinion regarding Spanish home decoration  ;)

Ilusat ohtut...