Looking to buy a house in Brittany or Loire Valley

Hi

My name is Del and I live and work in London. Both my wife and I are looking to buy a house in France (Brittany or Loire Valley Region) as a holiday home where we may spend a few months of the year but when not used by us will rent out via Air B&B
Has anyone done this recently?

Kindest Regards

Del

Hi there, i'm planning on doing the same in Angers (main town of Lore Valley) so i post here to be kept posted if anyone has a hint! ;)
Hi,

First Brittany and Loire Valley cover quite a wide area…. Angers is a university town and bigger than most in the tourist area of the Loire Valley, but not necessarily the most attractive tourist wise.  Nantes, which is also on the Loire (so technically the “tail end” of the Loire Valley) is a port city and the 6th biggest city in France (Angers is only #18).  So it all depends on truly what you are looking for.  The real estate market across the entire valley has been getting tighter in the last few years unless you're willing to go to much much smaller villages farther away from major highways, stations etc.

Basically, it all comes down to: what's your budget and what's your business plan (summer rentals, more of a short term student kind of thing, how do you take care of the place, balance costs incl maintenance vs income, do you plan to stay in said place and if so when/how long).

And the same rule that any real estate will give you anywhere: location, location, location applies in France.

Also check on local regulations re: AirBnB, many cities have passed ordnances that regulate when/how/how long you can rent out properties on a short term basis and most cities are getting quite serious about enforcing them due to the real estate market conditions

My humble 2 cents.

@Tanuki714 Hello, yes it's true, I didn't know that Nantes was also part of Angers Loire Valley. You to know that real estate in Angers grew of 50% from 2017 to 2022! [link moderated]

There is no such such as “Angers Loire Valley”.  Either you are along the Loire or you're not.  Orleans is geographically on the Loire, so is Nantes.

Now, depending on how you define “Loire Valley” there are differences.  My mother was born and raised in Saumur (hard core “castle country Loire Valley” and she would scoff at Nantes being “the same” as HER Loire Valley).  Strictly speaking, Nantes IS on the Loire therefore…. Now Anjou (what my Mom identifies with) is NOT the same as Loire Valley AND Nantes would definitely not qualify.  So take your pick.  Historical, cultural (some people actually will tell you that Nantes is part of Brittany), geographical…. Any way you cut it, there is a huge difference between a village in Indre (Loire Valley) and Saint Nazaire (also TECHNICALLY Loire Valley  geographically).
And yes, Angers like MOST cities in the West have seen a huge increase in real estate prices, partially because remote workers from the Paris area can get to/from Paris in under 2 hours and…. Let's face it, the quality of life is better.