From South Africa to Scotland....

Hi

I am a 39yo self employed offering IT support to clients (I'm a jack of all I.T. trades kind of guy) with no formal qualification - just many years of experience dating back to 1992.

Our family (wife & 3 kids) are planning on moving to the UK as soon as possible (we all have EU passports) - living here is becoming far too stressful (for many reasons that I won't go into) and we feel we need to get out of SA.

Now - a few questions:
  -  How is the IT job market over there? 
  -  Are jobs readily available or would I have to go back to self employment...?
  -  Which areas should one consider moving to if in IT.
  -  My daughter is in highschool (grade 8), and my 2 boys are in grade 7 and grade 4 at present.           What are the schools like over there (I know this is a very broad question - but if you have kids in school, what suggestions do you have as far as schooling goes)

As far as banking goes, we have approached first contact and are trying to get a Barclays account open from this side...

We won't have huge cash reserves when we get here - so I need to plan this move very carefully.

Any other comments / thoughts you may have regarding our move...

Thanks in advance...

Claudio

Hello Claudio and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will help you soon.

This post may be helpful to you > Cost of living in Scotland.

Harmonie.:)

To the best of my knowledge, unemployment is exceptionally high in many areas due to on going major cutbacks, and the UK has a wealth of people with IT skills still arriving from all over the EU and Asia.

I am one of those who believe experience does count, but due to the high unemployment, employers currently pick and choose who they employ. Without a recognised qualification, you will be on the bottom of any pay scale.  My own son returned to Scotland from overseas last year and has found himself in a job at a salary he earned 12 years ago for that one reason.  12 years experience meant nothing when it came to cutting costs for the employer.

We ourselves are planning a move to Oz for a few years before returning to Scotland, as despite both being professionally qualified to degree level, we are seriously concerned we will not find work.

In reply to your question about schools, I am unable to help.  But what I can tell you is the quality of school will all depend on where you live.  Scotland is like any other country.  There are good and bad areas and good and bad schools.   

Have you thought of moving to a country that is not overpopulated and is in desperate need of your skills?    I know there is a big SA network over this side of the world.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Glasgow is a great place to be. Settling down here is easier than in the rest of the UK. People are welcoming and friendly and take real care of their neighbours. Other South Africans I have met all say the same, after having lived in other parts of the UK.That is a big hurdle overcome in itself, and it compensates for the weather!
On the whole schools are better than down south. We have experienced that first hand, but areas improve on that when you make the right choice in that regard.
Self-employment is probably the way to go,as there is always reward when you build a good reputation and work hard, but you will need a budget to carry you while establish yourself.
Hope this helps.