Planning a move to the Alicante area in Spain

I am a British & Irish passport holder and I am seeking as much information and advice as  possible,
regarding ares to search for long term rented flats/apartments. I would ideally like a fully furnished outside flat with lift, 2 bedrooms, shower, reasonably close to services, among a friendly community.
The important thing is initially, is to make contact with someone on this website and open up a dialogue embracing as much information as possible.     

All this is prior to my decision to move to Spain for the rest of my retirement days.  I am an independent male over 70 years of age with an income over £22,000 annual and a healthy bank balance. My desire is to live a less frenetic lifestyle and enjoy my halcyon days.

I look forward to receiving as much info& advice as I can peruse over before making the final decision.

Regards

Hello, we recommend a website Fotocasa and in Galicia, preferably Pontevedra!!!

I too have dual Irish / British nationality

From 1988 until 2010 I was registered under my British nationality.  Since 2010 I've been registered as Irish.

With Brexit, if you choose to move to spain do so as Irish. I'd make no mention of your British passport.

Basically you will need

sufficient income, yours is way over the requirement of about 6,000 € p.a.

And

Full medical cover. Mine is  provided with an S1

When I was working with the national police I used to supply this to EU nationals who were intending to apply for residence status:-

Here it is TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE POLICE FOR  NIE,  E.U. Citizen registration, etc.

As you go through you will find links to the application forms and the payment, at any bank, form

.•            GO TO   https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/icpplus/

•             PROVINCES AVAILABLE:       CHOOSE the province where your are living/ staying

•             SECTIONS AVAILABLE IN PROVINCE:          OPEN PAGE AND SELECT SECTION  REQUIRED

e.g.    “policía  certificado de residente o no residente”  (that includes NIE application)
        NOTE there is now a special section for UK citizens which must be chosen  that is  “Polica-Certificada EU (Exclusivamente  para Reina Unido)

•             ENTER THE DETAILS OF APPLICANT. if you have an NIE show that, if not then show your passport number

•            CHOOSE NATIONAL POLICE STATION FOR APPOINTMENT:      The one that covers the area where you live
Motivo o tipo de solicitud de la cita, show reason for requesting appointment

•             CHOOSE AN APPOINTMENT,  AND THEN CONFIRM. If the office you require us not shown that means there are no appointments available at the moment  so please try again later

•             You must PRINT A COPY OF THE APPOINTMENT,   and take it with you to the police station
You can find info here in english about completing the EX15

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados … 0GUIDE.pdf

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Cadiz and Costa de la Luz are on the high!!!

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : No external links, pls.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I've used Idealista with some success.  I'm sure that they are not the only service out there. 
I consider renting in Spain to be the way to go, for a number of reasons.  Certainly, an important one is that you are not tied down to a purchased apt/house.  How do you know you'll like that city or even that neighborhood? 
Spain has some rule/guidelines on leases, what I've found is that they are normally 3 years-but you can get out with a minimum 6 months.  That's not too difficult to do.
I've been in Valencia almost 6 years now (renting) and I'm thinking about moving to another city for 6 months to a year, then to another one.  I could not be able to dosomething like that if I owned property
Back home, furnished apartments are rare, and the ratio of rent to purchase is much higher than here.  It would actually cost me more to purchase a home here than if I rent place, on top of the freedom that rent provides.

BlueMoonx47 wrote:

I've used Idealista with some success.  I'm sure that they are not the only service out there. 
I consider renting in Spain to be the way to go, for a number of reasons.  Certainly, an important one is that you are not tied down to a purchased apt/house.  How do you know you'll like that city or even that neighborhood? 
Spain has some rule/guidelines on leases, what I've found is that they are normally 3 years-but you can get out with a minimum 6 months.  That's not too difficult to do.
I've been in Valencia almost 6 years now (renting) and I'm thinking about moving to another city for 6 months to a year, then to another one.  I could not be able to dosomething like that if I owned property
Back home, furnished apartments are rare, and the ratio of rent to purchase is much higher than here.  It would actually cost me more to purchase a home here than if I rent place, on top of the freedom that rent provides.

A interesting observation thank you for the incite.

Have decides to drive over from Rosslare to Bilbao. Bringing my dog with me and loading up my belongings. As i have a fiesta van i purchased for the dogs .My other dog who has dementia is going back to his re -homeing place. To retire or be re-homed.
Need advise on kennels in Alicante and a storage place about one meter by 3 will do.
I know they are in IDEALVISTA   but a recommendation would help.

Hello Johncar,

Thanks a lot for your honest and seems well gathered information. At last i have something to work on and hopefully I will be visiting the Alicante area to possibly find what I am seeking in the accommodation sector.
reading your reply has made a massive difference and If you have any further advice I would certainly
appreciate. Furthermore i would like it if you give me your overall opinion on my desire to mpve to Spain.
Regards.

I think I may be living in the apartment you're looking for: 4BR, 2BA, 180 degree view of the Med, underground parking, storage room, in the San Gabriel section of Alicante. Public transportation literally at the front door but most everything you'd need on a daily basis is within a 2-block walk. The english-speaking landlord is terrific and the rent is 900 euros a month.

We've lived here for 3+ years, but due to my wife's worsening medical condition, we're planning to repatriate to the US this summer, likely by mid-June. I can also refer you to the local talent you'll need to handle the endless paper chase that is Spanish immigration.

Send me a private message and we'll chat. Bill

Hello Doc,
I must apologise for my tardiness in answering your post.  I've had a little difficulty in navigating the websites seeking assistance. Sadly having to go back for your wife has poor health is sad but I wish her well. Your reply was  full of positive info and I welcome your guidance in providing the details of your residence. Would you please elaborate a little more and send me some description of the flat and all of its facilities. Furthermore, contact with your landlord would be very very helpful ,as how you have described everything seems as though it would be an excellent place to make my home for a very good  retirement.
With regards,
redboygym