Menu
Expat.com

Relocating to Malta

Last activity 24 April 2022 by kukwing

GypsyBLL
Hello Expats
I hope you can help. I am an Australian retiree moving to Malta this year. I will be in Valletta in June and hope that you can assist me with some information about accommodation and cost of living etc...... any information would be appreciated. Many thanks
kukwing

@GypsyBLL I am doing a lot of research myself through Google, you will find very helpful information. Just type in the question including 'in Malta'  in the search bar and it will provide you with all the info. Good luck!

GypsyBLL
Thank you for your help ... I will follow up.
jordan2612014
@GypsyBLL
Hi,
I'm also planning to move to Malta in a few months.
Based on the research I have done and spoken to people, below are my findings for 1 person:

Rent cost - apartments could range from EURO 400 to 800 depending on the location
Food cost - About EURO 200 for a month max provided you cook at home
Transport - About EURO 100
Utilities + Internet - About EURO 100

In summary i would say for a single person, livng cost is about 850 - 1200 EUROs depending on your lifestyle

On accommodation, I have heard that below places are nice to rent out - Pieta, Vallettta, Attard, Birkirkara

Please let me know also any information you find regarding living in Malta
GozoMo
Unless you share accommodation you would be very lucky to rent anywhere for €400.
F0xgl0ve
Hello Expats
I hope you can help. I am an Australian retiree moving to Malta this year. I will be in Valletta in June and hope that you can assist me with some information about accommodation and cost of living etc...... any information would be appreciated. Many thanks
- @GypsyBLL
Presumably you have already checked with Identity Malta as to the requirements as a TCN to be allowed to take up residence here in the first place. It is not always as straight forward as it seems.
As a retiree presumably you will be self suuicient so there are minimum income requirements and health cover to start with and residence would only be on a yearly basis for the first five years.
kukwing

@F0xgl0ve thanks for the helpful info., how do I go about getting health coverage? Are you able to sign up under a Malta organisation?

F0xgl0ve
@kukwing

Check if there any arrangements between the US and Malta on reciprocal health cover, if not then Google Private Health Insurance and I am sure you will have a large choice of providers. Most major Insurers will quote for this sort of cover.
kukwing

@F0xgl0ve great suggestion, thanks!!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Malta

• How to drive in Malta
    How to drive in Malta

Malta is a relatively small island measuring only 27km long and 14,5km wide, so it seems on paper to be very ...

• Finding work in Gozo
    Finding work in Gozo

If you are planning to live in Malta, why not settle and work in Gozo? Although it is quieter than the main island ...

• Resident and work permit for Malta
    Resident and work permit for Malta

Getting a resident card and a work permit in Malta is an essential step for any expat. Living in Malta does ...

• Accidents and emergencies in Malta
    Accidents and emergencies in Malta

A stay abroad is usually associated with great memories. However, it could happen that an accident or emergency ...

• Finding work in Malta
    Finding work in Malta

Malta is world famous for its postcard-worthy beaches and beautiful landscapes. Indeed, this tiny island nation ...

• Phones and internet in Malta
    Phones and internet in Malta

Despite being a small archipelago, Malta hosts a very advanced telecommunications network. If you are ...

• Pregnancy in Malta
    Pregnancy in Malta

As an expat in Malta, you will experience some important life events, such as pregnancy. As an expectant mother, ...

• Accommodation in Malta
    Accommodation in Malta

As an expat in Malta, one of the first steps is to find accommodation. Malta has a quickly and continuously ...

All of Malta's guide articles