Off Topic Posts - Whats on your mind?

...but you knew this, right? 😏

inshot_20230215_193552810.jpg

-@OceanBeach92107

Yes'm . It's part of every expat's right of passage   :)

-@OceanBeach92107

Yes'm . It's part of every expat's right of passage  smile.png
-@Aidan in HCMC

Ô...

Got some help with our very slow internet here. Apologies if this seems elementary to experienced phone jockeys, but not owning a phone of my own I had no idea this could be done. I truly am a phone noob.

SWMBO visited Viettel a couple of days ago, and purchased a plan which includes unlimited data. Initial cost was 300K for a new SIM card (she now has two installed in her phone), and thereafter 90K per month. The new SIM is dedicated to data, and when tethered to my computer, gives a decent enough baud rate. Ookla shows ~16mbps down, and ~15mbps up, Nowhere near as fast as we are used to (~50 down, 40 up) but a heck of a lot better than what I've been experiencing lately. It is also consistent at that speed throughout the day, showing no peak-user-time slow downs.

Hope this is of help to other phone novices.

I have found the best trick when selecting a supplier is to ask people who live around you what they use.

After that, the usual comparing plans and costs

I have found the best trick when selectng a supplier is to ask people who lie around you what they use.
-@Fred

Won't work here for hardwire (fibre)  though, as there is only 1 ISP servicing this village.

I have found the best trick when selectng a supplier is to ask people who lie around you what they use.
-@Fred

Won't work here for hardwire (fibre) though, as there is only 1 ISP servicing this village.
-@Aidan in HCMC

We used to be the same but time passes and wireless services get better.

I've been having problems seeing at computer screen distances and all the opticians I went to see were utterly crap.

Reading glasses, trifocals, whatever graduated and every other way they could fail.

My kid needed new specs so I decided to see what they could do - BINGO!

"Easy", they said, and went on to tell me how I still needed minus lenses, just set to the right distance range.

2 days later and I'm in computer screen clarity heaven.

It will be a perfect day if my ex-wife dies this evening

-@Fred

LOL!

Give us this day, our daily Fred  :)

I've been having problems seeing at computer screen distances and all the opticians I went to see were utterly crap.
Reading glasses, trifocals, whatever graduated and every other way they could fail.
-@Fred

Been having the same troubles here.

-@Fred

Wow. That bad huh? I am divorced too but don't hate her that much. Again, if she had my views, I don't think I ever would imagine moving outside of the US.

Yea, we ALL have those days.  My solution is Social Distancing of 8,950 miles

Recent posts describing the discomfort some expat.com members experience(d?) while living in VN immediately brought to mind another quote from one of my favourite authors, Robert Heinlein.

Granted, this sets a high bar, but you get his drift.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

Is it just me or does this emoji seem a little racist to others?

1f913.svg

Buck teeth and all, it only lacks a conical hat.

@THIGV

(Here's a closeup shot, for reference, of that emoji)

It's a "nerd" emoji. Certainly, not all VN are nerds. If I thought they were, that could be construed as my being a "racist"™.

Nerdism is a cruel condition which shows no prejudice, crossing all racial, cultural and religious boundaries.

I myself am a victim. Please visit my gofundme page (soon to be launched) to help me in my struggle.

It is also inheritable, in most cases being passed on from the father.

nerdy-child.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=1Tr

I was thinking more along the lines of Mickey Rooney.

https://www.unpublishedzine.com/film/it … t-tiffanys

I know there is a whole thread on how to do it, but I am sorry that I don't have the patience to learn to upload photos.

Do any members remember the tragic circumstances surrounding an expat.com member here, 2 or 3 years back I believe, where he succumbed after being airlifted back to his home (Australia?), to an infection he contracted here in VN? If I recall, he died due to sepsis, having delayed his departure too long. If memory serves me, it was an infection contracted through contact with soil containing a certain microorganism (not chemical).

I wanted to do a little research on the matter. VN friends I've spoken to about it tell me they are familiar with this problem concerning soil.

Is it just me or does this emoji seem a little racist to others? 1f913.svg Buck teeth and all, it only lacks a conical hat.  -@THIGV

I vote for ☑️ Just You 🗳️

I'm not surprised that you would choose to see what's not there 😱

Have you totally eradicated the use of the racist word "black" from your vocabulary as well? 🧐

I was thinking more along the lines of Mickey Rooney...

screenshot_20230301_113905_chrome.jpg

I know there is a whole thread on how to do it, but I am sorry that I don't have the patience to learn to upload photos.
-@THIGV

Why bother?

Your post is about feelings, not facts...

🤓🤓🤓

Do any members remember the tragic circumstances surrounding an expat.com member here, 2 or 3 years back I believe, where he succumbed after being airlifted back to his home (Australia?), to an infection he contracted here in VN? If I recall, he died due to sepsis, having delayed his departure too long. If memory serves me, it was an infection contracted through contact with soil containing a certain microorganism (not chemical).
I wanted to do a little research on the matter. VN friends I've spoken to about it tell me they are familiar with this problem concerning soil.
-@Aidan in HCMC

Please do, If I  may help let me know.

MAc

-@Aidan in HCMC

The only expat I know of where they were having difficulty getting him out of the country during early covid was in Vũng Tàu.

I don't know if that was the guy.

-@Aidan in HCMC

The only expat I know of where they were having difficulty getting him out of the country during early covid was in Vũng Tàu.

I don't know if that was the guy.
-@OceanBeach92107

Thanks, OB. This was before covid, I believe. I remember members who were friends of his discussing the cause of his illness, and that it was due to some pathogen/organism in the soil.

sign of the times I suppose

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/companies/ … dw7qVa8TOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMWoK0YR50

Is it just me, or do any other members suspect the use of ChatGPT (or alternatives)  in some recent posts?

Is it just me, or do any other members suspect the use of ChatGPT (or alternatives) in some recent posts?
-@Aidan in HCMC

My bot and I were also wondering, is it just us, or do any other members suspect the use of ChatGPT (or alternatives) in some recent posts?

My bot is as smooth as a baby's.

I tried chat a few times on subjects I'm familiar with, and my conclusion is it's still far too prone to errors to be trustworthy.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/companies/ … QNgkAiib8g

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/companies/ … QNgkAiib8g
-@goodolboy

(from that link)

Briton replaces arrested CEO of Tan Hiep Phat

Vietnam's largest beverage company, Tan Hiep Phat, has appointed David Riddle as CEO to replace Tran Qui Thanh, who was arrested Monday on charges of illegally appropriating property.
Riddle has been the company's vice chairman for 13 years.
THP said in an announcement Tuesday that Riddle has assumed the role of general director and would act as its legal representative in place of Thanh, 70.
Thanh's daughter Tran Uyen Phuong, 40, was also arrested, and another daughter, Tran Ngoc Bich, 39, is under investigation, for allegedly colluding with their father. Both are deputy general directors of THP.

Oh my!! 😱

How the mighty have fallen from Grace.

I remember I'd only been back in Việt Nam a few days in 2018, when I saw this article about the book deal garnered by daughter Trần Uyên Phương:

baodanang.vn/english/culture-sport/201809/vietnamese-author-published-by-forbes-books-3106491

All of the press notices I could find about her then we're basically glowing reviews about how she had risen to the top of the corporate world in Việt Nam and had personally directed the company changes which had resulted in #1 market share in Việt Nam. 

She speaks impeccable English, and I was inspired to follow her on social media.

I also remember reading how the company give back to the community significantly during the covid crisis.

Unfortunately when you have that much financial success and you're looking for ways to keep your Capital growing, it's not surprising that they allegedly got themselves tied up in questionable/corrupt real estate transactions.

I'm looking for a hard-to-find power adapter 240VAC-12VDC 120W (or more) with a barrel plug 6.3mm by 3.0mm.  Anyone have a good source for such?

I'm looking for a hard-to-find power adapter 240VAC-12VDC 120W (or more) with a barrel plug 6.3mm by 3.0mm. Anyone have a good source for such?
-@Travelfar

Your location might get you specific local recommendations.

I have needed a new adapter two times in Vietnam (in Vũng Tàu & Quảng Ngãi)

Both times I asked a driver I trust and he helped take me to the part of town where there were shops that had used adapters and new ones.

Usually the same places that deal in computers and computer parts.

if I were to need something again today my wife and I would search Lazada and Shopee.

Good luck with your search.

@Travelfar If you search Google for model number or power adaptor for ****(insert what it's used for) you should get some hits which you can follow up on.

Hey AndyHCMC,

Good to see you back online. 1f60a.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Hey AndyHCMC,

Cheers,

Cheryl
-@Cheryl

4 trips to hospital later,,,

Hey AndyHCMC,

Cheers,

Cheryl
-@Cheryl
-@AndyHCMC

I really hope you are feeling way better now 1f917.svg

Hey AndyHCMC,

Cheers,

Cheryl
-@Cheryl
-@AndyHCMC

I didn't realize you were experiencing any health difficulties.

Glad to know you are on the upswing.

Maybe without revealing too much personal info you could share something in a new thread about your hospital experience(s)?

As you know, that's something a lot of people wonder about.

Cheers to your good health!

@AndyHCMC If you search Google for model number or power adaptor for ****(insert
what it's used for) you should get some hits which you can follow up on.

Yah.  I've searched Lazada, Shopee, Aliexpress, Alibaba, Google, Duck Duck go, Amazon, Ebay.  I found only two, both in the USA, expensive, and shipping - - wow!  Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I guess I will have to go to HCMC and wander around the electronics bazaar looking for what I need.

@AndyHCMC If you search Google for model number or power adaptor for ****(insert
what it's used for) you should get some hits which you can follow up on.
Yah. I've searched Lazada, Shopee, Aliexpress, Alibaba, Google, Duck Duck go, Amazon, Ebay. I found only two, both in the USA, expensive, and shipping - - wow! Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I guess I will have to go to HCMC and wander around the electronics bazaar looking for what I need.
-@Travelfar

Out of interest what is it for and what's the model number?

Out of interest what is it for and what's the model number?
-@AndyHCMC

I was about to ask the same thing.

Travelfar, is it like any of these?

try this

https://www.lazada.vn/products/adjustab … 6074.html?