Off Topic Posts - Whats on your mind?

If someone replies to a "Guest Poster" they may be reminded that the user is gone or even banned.
-@THIGV

A "Guest Poster" is a former member who has deleted their expat.com account. Their comments are no longer accessible.

Conversely, a "Banned" member's name (and comment history)  remain visible.

I was reading an article emoting on the accomplishments of several prominent transgender-women, and how these individuals had reached the pinnacle of their chosen field. People such as

• Liah Thomas (setting record times and crushing competitors in women's swim events),
  • Caitlyn Jenner (amazingly winning "Woman of the Year" only 6 months(!) after declaring womanhood), 
  • Admrl. Dr. Rachel Levine (United States Assistant Secretary for Health, whose obesity proved no impediment to beating out equally qualified females for the "Health" position)
  • Fallon Fox (Transgender MMA fighter who broke the skull of a female opponent)

It occurred to me this must be absolutely infuriating for feminists! It would appear that men are so great, even after deciding to be women they are still better than women. Surely this is simply optics, and cannot be true.

maxresdefault.jpg

img.jpg?width=1200&height=800&quality=85&coordinates=0%2C0%2C0%2C3

skynews-rachel-levine_5316866.jpg

0aaee3178ad05bf783181c8db4bce515_xl.jpg

Bravo

Mine. Even the © smile.png
-@Aidan in HCMC

That copyright mark was what confused me.  270d.svg

Currently on my mind is why did I take a two month project back in the @#$!!!

Wind energy.... Snake Oil. No bias ;-)

còn 21 ngày nữa....

But, the beer is better here. Small bonus.

out of the box thinking at its best

https://i.postimg.cc/Vv1mvpNJ/day-out.jpg

@goodolboy

Quang Nam plate.

Well, at least they're all wearing helmets, even the driver's "airbag"

https://i.postimg.cc/LXgh4Rw2/women.jpg

Coffee Money Honey

1401_police-5.jpg?rt=20201008134026

@Budman1 And what happened to " Just for laughs " ?

@Wadey Why buy sour cream,,,,,,, just wait till the fresh goes off

Our fantastic garden team at work 3 days now taking out the weeds from the lawn. Thank you garden team1f60d.svg

https://i.postimg.cc/15VQkF5x/gardens.jpg

Our fantastic garden team at work 3 days now taking out the weeds from the lawn. Thank you garden team1f60d.svg

gardens.jpg
-@goodolboy

& we are going net zero here at Celadon City  too

https://i.postimg.cc/fW9WGkPk/going-green.jpg

@goodolboy

There go the dandelions (but the bunny'll make a great stew!)

@goodolboy
There go the dandelions (but the bunny'll make a great stew!)
-@Aidan in HCMC

fatten it up on the lush grass & then for the pot.....win win result

something to remember..............Vietnam National day holiday is 1st to 4th Sept so most if not all Gov places will be closed.

As expats, a couple of lines from Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" will ring true to us.

There is a tide in the affairs of men

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

On such a full sea are we now afloat,

And we must take the current when it serves,

Or lose our ventures

Amen.

If you collect 100 black and 100 red ants and put them in a box, nothing will happen.

However, if you shake the box, the ants start killing each other. Red thinks black is the enemy, and black thinks red is the enemy.

The same is true elsewhere, men and women, vying political parties, rich and poor, believers and materialists, young and old, etc...

But before we start fighting each other, it's okay to ask ourselves: Who shook the box?

Saigon 2023 & 1965....................goodolboy is the "handsome man" wearing the tin hat1f923.svg1f60e.svg

https://i.postimg.cc/Hkpv1pNm/SAIGON.png

So, I introduced 3 VN friends to a delicious Western food they had never had (nor heard of) before.

Delicious pea soup (from split green peas) with small cubes of roasted pork and onion. All three of them finished 2 very large bowls each!

I commented afterwards that it might be a tad windy later tonight. I stifled a laugh when, after eating, one of them checked their weather app LOL!

@Aidan in HCMC

Oh, a *south* wind.

So, I introduced 3 VN friends to a delicious Western food they had never had (nor heard of) before.
Delicious pea soup (from split green peas) with small cubes of roasted pork and onion. All three of them finished 2 very large bowls each!
I commented afterwards that it might be a tad windy later tonight. I stifled a laugh when, after eating, one of them checked their weather app LOL!
-@Aidan in HCMC

1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f62c.svg

@Aidan in HCMC
Oh, a *south* wind.
-@Lennerd

I made the soup hearty, so I'm thinking something along the lines of a high pressure gale :)

@Aidan in HCMC
Oh, a *south* wind.
-@Lennerd
I made the soup hearty, so I'm thinking something along the lines of a high pressure gale smile.png
-@Aidan in HCMC

thunderous

Is it just me, or have others started thinking of toothpicks as essential tableware?

I swear I've used enough toothpicks since arriving here to build a log cabin.

I'm thinking the agent who "arranged" this persons driver's license (Link VN Express) might be sweating bullets right about now. I hope the licensing of that driver is thoroughly investigated.

It's high time authorities looked in to this curiously common VN type of accident. Absolutely g*ddamn infuriating!

See my comment, #231, here, May10th/2023.

edit: driver, Nguyen Chi Hao, born 2007, is 16 years old, unlicensed

I'm thinking the agent who "arranged" this persons driver's license (Link VN Express) might be sweating bullets right about now. I hope the licensing of that driver is thoroughly investigated.
It's high time authorities looked in to this curiously common VN type of accident. Absolutely g*ddamn infuriating!
See my comment, #231, here, May10th/2023.
edit: driver, Nguyen Chi Hao, born 2007, is 16 years old, unlicensed
-@Aidan in HCMC

Scary

https://i.postimg.cc/hjD5JyW5/THINGS.jpg

Link to a recent expat.com post of mine.

Un-freaking-believable.

30741.jpeg

We're #1 :)

Link to article, "Where E-Scooting Has Caught On "

(alternatively titled ,"Where E-Scooting Has Caught On Fire!")

30741.jpeg
We're #1 smile.png
Link to article, "Where E-Scooting Has Caught On "
(alternatively titled ,"Where E-Scooting Has Caught On Fire!")

-@Aidan in HCMC

We have 3...

screenshot_20230904_124551_gallery.jpg

@Aidan in HCMC.  What??  You didn't put a little vinegar in the beans to take the fart out of them. -  You're cruel.  1f600.svg1f600.svg1f600.svg

@Aidan in HCMC.  What??  You didn't put a little vinegar in the beans to take the fart out of them. -  You're cruel.  1f600.svg1f600.svg1f600.svg-@tunnelrat69

Not sure that little trick would do much. They were peas, not beans ;)

There's a new "variant" about, labelled as the "Pirola Variant"(Link Google search)

Well, that one got me scratching my head. What was its etymology? I wondered about this peculiar moniker, and being a bit of a word nerd, I took a little look-see.

Now I'm wondering whether anybody intentionally named it so (Link wictionary.org).

Also, see here (Link wordmeaning.org), and here (Link wordsense.eu).

No wonder some people are wondering whether someone is sticking it to them. ;)

oh god I had just about given up the will to live till this afternoon. I posted on FB & Zalo yesterday that I wanted to change apartment (owner has managed to sell this one), still in Celadon City so my options were open really to stay at Emerald or move to the new precincts just open at Diamond or even go down market a bit & go to Ruby which was the first precinct built.

I was very specific in my requirements in my advert ...........2 bed 2 shower, high floor 9 & up, garden view empty apartment preferable & max 15 million a month.

Well of course its an age thing & I had totally forgotten my previous experiences dealing with Vietnamese property agents, so I was absolutely deluged with offers ranging from apartments at 25 million, apartments with views onto the very busy back road, views onto the football pitches (deadly at week ends).

Yesterday afternoon I had an appointment at 4 pm to see one at Emerald that the guy had sent a lot of photos through & it looked nice. 3.30PM gets a text ...."sorry sorry" I make mistake its for sale but if you want to buy it good price its 3.5 billion........oh god give me strength!!

So last night off I goes to see 2 apartments supposedly according to the agent garden views which they were not, one looking onto the road & one to the football pitches & I lost the plot with the agent about that & got the usual reaction "sorry sorry"

This morning I went to see 2 apartments, one at Emerald & one at Ruby. One at Emerald was ok but way over priced in todays market & no chance of discount it will just stay empty. The one at Ruby looked great in the photos but turned out the photos were taken 6 years ago & of course they & the apartment  looked nothing like that now & to be honest it was a tip by Western standards & I sort of told the agent as much & he was in shock as he thought the place was beautiful.

But just when I had enough I got a message from an agent about 2 apartments going at Celadon City Diamond Alnata & Diamond Brilliant & the brilliant one just fitted the bill perfect & managed to get the management fee's thrown in free for first 3 years. Great result & move in mid next month.

oh god I had just about given up the will to live till this afternoon. I posted on FB & Zalo yesterday that I wanted to change apartment (owner has managed to sell this one), still in Celadon City so my options were open really to stay at Emerald or move to the new precincts just open at Diamond or even go down market a bit & go to Ruby which was the first precinct built.
I was very specific in my requirements in my advert ...........2 bed 2 shower, high floor 9 & up, garden view empty apartment preferable & max 15 million a month.
Well of course its an age thing & I had totally forgotten my previous experiences dealing with Vietnamese property agents, so I was absolutely deluged with offers ranging from apartments at 25 million, apartments with views onto the very busy back road, views onto the football pitches (deadly at week ends).
Yesterday afternoon I had an appointment at 4 pm to see one at Emerald that the guy had sent a lot of photos through & it looked nice. 3.30PM gets a text ...."sorry sorry" I make mistake its for sale but if you want to buy it good price its 3.5 billion........oh god give me strength!!
So last night off I goes to see 2 apartments supposedly according to the agent garden views which they were not, one looking onto the road & one to the football pitches & I lost the plot with the agent about that & got the usual reaction "sorry sorry"
This morning I went to see 2 apartments, one at Emerald & one at Ruby. One at Emerald was ok but way over priced in todays market & no chance of discount it will just stay empty. The one at Ruby looked great in the photos but turned out the photos were taken 6 years ago & of course they & the apartment  looked nothing like that now & to be honest it was a tip by Western standards & I sort of told the agent as much & he was in shock as he thought the place was beautiful.
But just when I had enough I got a message from an agent about 2 apartments going at Celadon City Diamond Alnata & Diamond Brilliant & the brilliant one just fitted the bill perfect & managed to get the management fee's thrown in free for first 3 years. Great result & move in mid next month.
  -@goodolboy

I'm so sorry sorry you had to go through all of that...

oh god I had just about given up the will to live till this afternoon. I posted on FB & Zalo yesterday that I wanted to change apartment (owner has managed to sell this one), still in Celadon City so my options were open really to stay at Emerald or move to the new precincts just open at Diamond or even go down market a bit & go to Ruby which was the first precinct built.I was very specific in my requirements in my advert ...........2 bed 2 shower, high floor 9 & up, garden view empty apartment preferable & max 15 million a month.Well of course its an age thing & I had totally forgotten my previous experiences dealing with Vietnamese property agents, so I was absolutely deluged with offers ranging from apartments at 25 million, apartments with views onto the very busy back road, views onto the football pitches (deadly at week ends).Yesterday afternoon I had an appointment at 4 pm to see one at Emerald that the guy had sent a lot of photos through & it looked nice. 3.30PM gets a text ...."sorry sorry" I make mistake its for sale but if you want to buy it good price its 3.5 billion........oh god give me strength!!So last night off I goes to see 2 apartments supposedly according to the agent garden views which they were not, one looking onto the road & one to the football pitches & I lost the plot with the agent about that & got the usual reaction "sorry sorry"This morning I went to see 2 apartments, one at Emerald & one at Ruby. One at Emerald was ok but way over priced in todays market & no chance of discount it will just stay empty. The one at Ruby looked great in the photos but turned out the photos were taken 6 years ago & of course they & the apartment  looked nothing like that now & to be honest it was a tip by Western standards & I sort of told the agent as much & he was in shock as he thought the place was beautiful.But just when I had enough I got a message from an agent about 2 apartments going at Celadon City Diamond Alnata & Diamond Brilliant & the brilliant one just fitted the bill perfect & managed to get the management fee's thrown in free for first 3 years. Great result & move in mid next month.  -@goodolboy I'm so sorry sorry you had to go through all of that...        -@OceanBeach92107

Thanks OB but dont worry I am strong & like I said I had forgotten how it is with these "agents" most if not all free lancers & some not even that cos you get someone that reads the advert & try's to get a piece of the action by an introduction to real agent & get an intro fee. My post was a bit tongue in cheek but as a warning to anyone not into the buying or rental scene & culture here.

Anyways there was a follow up cos last night Ms My gets a message from the actual Gamuda Land Agent that was handling the rental legal stuff to say that because we were moving in on 15th Sept we needed to get the deposit over to them & the contract signed so that gave us 2 days according to him & if there was a delay the owner (who I met at the viewing) would be angry. I explained to Ms My that the agreement made was for 15 Oct as the move in & contract date. Oh no he said thats not right 14th Sept is the date. So lucky I had taken the owners Zalo address (really nice man) & contacted him & he was totally confused why the agent was making this issue as he the owner fully understood that the move in & contract date was in a months time & did not understand why the agent was saying this & sent me a text to cover his understanding that this was the case.

So as usual as you & I know nothing is straight forward here especially dealing with so called agents or anything dealing where there is a buck to be made. The lucky bit is that if the deal had fallen through there was no shortage of similar apartments on the market as I found out after a deluge of messages from disgruntled agents demanding to know why I had not chosen them for the deal. You just could not make this story up1f923.svg1f60e.svg so I had to go on Zalo & FB to thank them but stop texting me as the the deal was done & even then they kept sending through properties they said were far better deals & asking if I wanted to view them.1f644.svg

...My post was a bit tongue in cheek ...
-@goodolboy

So was my "sorry sorry" ass reply...

Sorry sorry!

😉😉😉

...I had to go on Zalo & FB to thank them but stop texting me as the the deal was done & even then they kept sending through properties they said were far better deals & asking if I wanted to view them.1f644.svg-@goodolboy

Being the consummate sheet disturber, I'd be tempted to book appointments with the lot of them, and not show up.

Would be even better if you could find 3 or 4 who are offering the same property and book them all for the same showing time.

Good to hear you've found your new nest.

...I had to go on Zalo & FB to thank them but stop texting me as the the deal was done & even then they kept sending through properties they said were far better deals & asking if I wanted to view them.1f644.svg-@goodolboy

Being the consummate sheet disturber, I'd be tempted to book appointments with the lot of them, and not show up.
Would be even better if you could find 3 or 4 who are offering the same property and book them all for the same showing time.

Good to hear you've found your new nest.

-@Aidan in HCMC

you are so nasty1f923.svg1f60e.svg

-@Aidan in HCMC

ah & that was a bit I missed out of my tale.........................there were actually only about 4 apartments that fitted the bill &  actually in play but as you hinted all plying the same apartment & wait for it.........all at different prices!! & thats a common one here too just waiting to catch out the novice potential renter!!