Premium Visa and Stay Questions

Hi,

I'm planning on applying for the premium visa and will be living in Mauritius for a little over 6 months and had a few questions,

1. The premium visa requires a proof of accommodation, I emailed EBD about it asking if it's ok to enter the country with an AirBnB booking until I find a more permanent place or sign a lease.
They said it was fine as long as I kept them informed of my new location. Has anyone else done this? Wanted to make sure.

2. I'm planning on living in the West since I like hiking. While looking for a place to stay, should I go through agents or is there a way to do it without paying an agent's commission? I only need a small 1 or 2 bedroom place since I'll be alone. If anyone has leads please PM.

3. Driver's License and Tax Number - How easy is it to get a local driver's license? It looks like having a car is a must if I need to get around the Island. My Indian license will be good for the first month but I'll need a local one after that. I heard there's a way to exchange a foreign license for a local one?

How do I apply for the Tax number since I'll be becoming a tax resident here as my stay is longer than 183 days. Can I apply for it before the 183 day period has passed?
How long does it take to get it and is the process straightforward or is there lots of paperwork involved.
I'm a freelance engineering consultant if that makes a difference.

4. What is a good bank to have an account with? A bank that doesn't charge too many unnecessary fees and has a good USD to MUR exchange rate would be Ideal.

5. Is there a place that offers a long term bike rental? How much would it be to buy a decent mountain bike? Do the roads have bike lanes?

6. Courier services - I'll be importing parts occasionally for my projects, since it's mostly semiconductors and chips they seem to be duty free. What's a fast and reliable shipping service? DHL, Fedex, USPS etc.

If there's anything else I should know, please share

Thanks,
Hello Zurtle,

Welcome on board!

Here are some infos about your queries (not all)

2 - You will have to pay a commission if you go through the rental process with a real estate agent/agency. If you don't want to pay a commission, you have to rent directly with an individual. It won't be simple and I can't confirm that you will have a proper contract if you choose to go along with an individual.
Try looking for adverts in the Housing in Mauritius section where it is mentioned that it has been published by an individual. You can try weshare.mu or fb

3. Yes you can convert your foreign driving licence or even apply for an international driving licence. When you get here, contact the traffic branch
Operations Room 211 8478/ 211 8434/
208 1212

TAX number can be applied online : https://eservices.mra.mu/apptan/feedpdfapptan
I suggest that you ask the EDB this information when you apply for the premium visa.

4. Bank - this topic has been heavily covered on the forum. Feel free to browse the forum.

5.Motorcycle rental, there are a few, but don't know if they are reliable. There is no bike lane here and riding a bike is pretty dangerous.

6. I would rather open a new topic with only that question so it get views and feedback easily.

Till members revert, feel free to read existing topics.
You will normally find answers to your questions on the forum itself by typing key words in the search bar at the top right here : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=108

All the very best,
Anoushka

Thank You for your response.

2. I'll just go through an agent since I'd prefer having a proper contract.

3. Thanks, will do this.

5. I meant bicycles, I guess if there's no bike lanes then this isn't safe either and I'll have to get a car instead.

6. Cool, will do.

Thanks,
Oh bicycle, i used to cycle around town and to the beach. Well, it shouldn't be a problem if you are careful. It is not as dangerous as motorcycle.....due to speed maybe

Quick Update.

I applied for my Premium Visa on the 13th and got an approval email today. So took 5-6 working days.
Applied from outside Mauritius without any long term booking. Had an Airbnb for the first 2 weeks until I found a more permanent place and explained this to them in a separate letter I attached.

Got an international health insurance from Allianz care which costs me 31 Euro a month(probably because I'm youngish)

Other stuff I sent them:
Electronically generated bank Statement(No stamps or seals)
Certificate of earnings from my freelance platform
Letter from a client confirming I work for them
Stock and Mutual fund investment portfolio
Cover Letter about myself and the kind of work I do.

All in all, pretty easy and seamless process. Looks like they are pretty flexible in terms of documentation too as long as you can prove your intention in other ways.
Moderated by Christine 2 years ago
Reason : promoting your personel link is not allowed on the website. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
@zurtle

Please provide further details on the international health insurance you got with Allianz Care... 31 EUR seems too good to be true :-)

@Trent Simpson

I went here and got a quote: allianzcare.com/en/personal-international-health-insurance.html

Then if you select a deductible you can get up to a 60% discount. A deductible means that the insurance would only start paying above that amount.
Then there's a also an option that reduces the price further if you select coverage only for Africa and not global.

Finally, remember to select it in Euros since the EUR and USD have now reached a 1:1 rate and it looks like they haven't taken that into account.
USD option was 39$ while EUR was 31 even though now 1 USD = 1 EUR

Age and country of origin also has a lot to do with the final quote.

You could also get several quotes from international health insurance companies here : https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/africa/mauritius/

All the best,
Anoushka
I also got quotes from MUA Life which is based in Mauritius.

The cheapest option from them was also reasonable at about 21k Mauritian rupees for 12 months.

This might be better for older folks who have more medical needs because their policy was without any deductibles.

Point is, you don't need to spend thousands on health insurance just to be able to get the Premium Visa.

Strangely enough. 20k MUR is also around the limit to claim a income tax deduction on health insurance so might be good for folks who'll be tax resident in Mauritius
@zurtle

Great input. Thank you so very much for your very valuable information. I will definitely have a look at this.

Sorry another question - what did you do with regards to showing a year of travel insurance? Any valuable input here would be much appreciated.

Have a great Friday.

@Trent Simpson

From what I read, Travel insurance is the term most companies give to a health insurance of less than 6 months.

So I didn't submit anything related to "Travel Insurance". Only the international health insurance plan was submitted.

International health insurance is also a kind of travel insurance, just long term.

Hello Everyone,

How much is the proof of monthly income is required?

Is it necessary to receive money from somewhere other than Mauritius?

I work in Mauritius, and every month, I transfer a portion of my salary to my mother's bank account to cover her living expenses. Will it suffice as income proof for her application?

In addition, I live in a rented house in Phoenix. Will it be sufficient to meet her lodging requirements, given that she will be staying in the same apartment as me?

Kind Regards,

Muhammad