Menu
Expat.com

Some details of immigration procedure

Last activity 08 August 2022 by RodW

Novalis1

About the procedure: We are still in Europe are preparing all the necessary documents (including translation of birth and marriage certificates, certificate of good conduct, etc.). Then travel to Mauritius to do the medical check there. Then back to Europe and wait for the residence permit to be issued. Only then can our things be sent on their journey in containers. Right?

And: Do you need an appointment for the medical check on site or can you just go to a clinic?
Anou86
Hi Novalis,

For medical check up, it is better to give them a call before and book an appointment to avoid long waiting time.

For your container, I can't help, unfortunately. I hope members who have been through the same process can shed the light on your queries.

Have a nice day,
Bhavna
RodW
Hi
When you arrive in Mauritius and do your medical checks (ask the EDB for a Medical Certificate template, they will email to you) - X-Ray, blood tests etc. - once you receive your results, which will take a good few days, you need to upload these to your area on the EDB application.
You will then be notified of an appointment date, probably about a week after you upload your documents. Not sure if you need proof of a Mauritius bank account in your case, but if you do, you need to open that, lodge funds and then also upload a bank statement, all of which takes some days.
On your appointment date, you present all the original documents you have previously uploaded.
If all is in order, you can then go and have some lunch and collect your residence permit after a couple of hours.
I'd plan about a three week visit to Mauritius to do all of this and then you can return to Europe and send your container.
Novalis1

@RodW Many thanks! According to my information, you can only open a bank account after you have received the residence permit. Right?

tashwilmot

@Novalis1 Hi,  I opened an account with Absa before I got my premium visa, if that is any help to you.  Natasha

BlueAlila
We were able to open a bank account before we came through HSBC as we were premier account holders elsewhere.
We were staying in Grand Baie and just walked into a clinic to get our medicals done.  Went back 2 hours later and everything was ready.
For sending a shipment over, we were told customs required us to be on Mauritius 2 weeks before it was due to arrive so that rather affected our travel plans.
Novalis1

@BlueAlila Many thanks! "Elsewhere" means another bank (not HSBC)? 1f914.svg

BlueAlila
Sorry, no, we were with HSBC elsewhere. So it was a simple matter of the HSBC bank there and HSBC in Port Louis liaising with each other.
Novalis1
@Tashwilmot:
@BlueAlila:
Did you open the bank account online or in person in Mauritius?
BlueAlila
HSBC did it all for us, but we had to be Premier Account holders first. So when we arrived in Mauritius we had an open account which we’d been able to transfer money into online,  and we’d been sent ATM cards.
Novalis1

@Novalis1 Hi,  I opened an account with Absa before I got my premium visa, if that is any help to you.  Natasha

- @tashwilmot
Unfortunately I don't know what kind of account you opened.
For example: A "Digi account" can only be opened with Tel.-No. from Mauritius and if you are "a resident of Mauritius and a tax resident of Mauritius only". 1f644.svg
RodW

@RodW Many thanks! According to my information, you can only open a bank account after you have received the residence permit. Right?

- @Novalis1

Hi. I'm a retired resident and it is a requirement to have a Rs bank account before the permit is issued. If you have concerns, contact the EDB by email or phone, they are honestly the most helpful people there and will advise you properly and point you in the right direction. I had a USD account already so the opening of a Rs account was easy. I'm with MCB, also the most helpful team at their HO.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Retiring in Mauritius
    Retiring in Mauritius

Mauritius is rapidly becoming a hub for foreign retirees. To provide for the growing interest, in addition to the ...

• Customs in Mauritius
    Customs in Mauritius

As you embark on your expatriate journey to the picturesque shores of Mauritius, navigating the intricacies of ...

• Traveling to Mauritius
    Traveling to Mauritius

Are you looking to move to Mauritius on a short-term visa to scout for opportunities or to get a feel of life on ...

• Retire in Mauritius
    Retire in Mauritius

Do you want to spend the rest of your life gazing at seemingly endless stripes of warm sand, swinging your golf ...

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles