How strict are COVID protocols now?

Is masking strictly enforced, or do people need a  Vax card to get in some places?

It's not a good comparison, but in the US it seems like everyone who wants to get vaccinated has done it, and there are no restrictions at all.  I'm fully vaxxed and boosted and I still got it twice.

This is not a political or philosophical question. I'm weighing the value travel.

@sekmet Depends on where you are. I live in Cebu City area. Masks are required by Govt for Indoor areas. When taxiing to the malls, I never have a mask on, but put it on correctly to enter past the security guards. After entering, I have it below my nose so I can breathe. If you are in The Provinces, you will see very few people with masks. Probably stricter in Manila proper area since they continue to have more cases. No one asking for proof of vaccination or Contact Tracing forms that I have been. Still better than not too long ago when we were the ONLY country in the WORLD that had to wear the "Protective" face shields.

Ive just watched one of Mark Thornton's blogs based in Dumaguete (Every Man has a story) and yes there you need masks to get into any public building. When he went to Siquijor (where I am planning on staying later in the year) you need to wear masks on the ferries and show proof of vaccination. Even in restaurants and bars you need to (farcically ) enter with the mask then take it off. 
To put things in perspective I haven't worn a mask here in the UK for over a year. Ah well as I often say 'When in Rome'

[link moderated]

youtube.com/watch?v=7FdqOhUbgiY
In my area of the province you seldom see people wearing masks. If you drive one hour north to our largest city of Naval there is a Jollibee and a Citi Hardware, both have guards at the door. Last time I was in Citi Hardware a mask and QR code was all that was needed to enter. I believe you can enter without the QR code if you fill out a slip of paper. The guard at the Jollibee is regulating maximum capacity and only a mask is required to enter.

@sekmet Depends on where you are.

- @talamban
I agree, it depends on where you are. I recently came back from a month there, and found no one cared about masks anywhere I went in Siquijor or Panglao. That was nice, but once you get back to Bohol, Cebu, or Manila they did care about masks. Sometimes when taking ferries I was asked for a vax card, and possibly at some hotels. I was also asked for a vax card at one restaurant, an expensive one in Manila. I generally put on my mask to get in past the security guards, then took it off. I was in the minority doing that, though, as most Filipinos kept theirs on.
I live in the Metro Manila area and don't go out often. Wearing a mask has become second nature to me. It's almost a piece of attire for me, I wouldn't go to S&R without my pants either.

@Enzyte Bob ***

Moderated by Bhavna 2 years ago
Reason : Useless comment
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
In Dumaguete City, many Filipinos are still wearing masks, even outdoors.Even on scooters. I guess they just leave it on - I only put mine on when going indoors, unless of course when eating in restaurants, which is probably how I caught it. Obviously, being airborne, indoors is riskier.

When we were in Cebu a week ago the new Holiday Inn near Ayala required mask and vax card. Luckily she had hers, I always keep a laminated copy with me. We ate outdoors for the most part. Lot's of restaurants in Cebu have outdoor seating, as did the hotel restaurant which also has a magnificent view in the evening.
Filipino's generally speaking possess the 'herd' instinct. They copy others, group leaders (often ladyboys) rarely do they think for themselves, use common sense or think outside the box.

The virus is here to stay for years to come. My hunch is that once say 60% stop wearing masks the following 40% will quickly adopt the habit.

Of course vulnerable individuals with specific health issues will still need a mask as added protection.

And there you go. A good conversation with good information quickly gets polluted with trolls. Why do some people have to disparage others? It's why I seldom read a lot of these forums anymore.

Anyway, in Dasmarinas, my nearest jollibee requires mask and proof of vaccination to eat inside. Most bigger places, including the malls, require masks. Lots of people still wearing them, but many don't wear them outdoors.

Hello everyone,

Just a quick reminder, the topic is How strict are COVID protocols now? so let's stick to it, please.

Off-topic posts have been removed.

Thank you,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Will do Cheryl. I think you and Bhavna your Mauritian colleague, like to play 'good cop, bad cop' ;)

Well a week ago Singapore where ' Rules have to be obeyed and ARE enforced' relaxed mask wearing regulations so that they are required only in hospitals and elderly peoples homes.

Coincidentally the Philippines President is there now meeting his opposite number. So Mr Marcos on your return it will be a case of 'Copy & Paste'?

@Lotus Eater We have a home in Siquijor and another in Valencia near Dumaguete. We live part time in both. You shouldn't listen to everything Mark Thornton says. I have heard him say you need a one health pass to go to Siquijor and other such nonsense. He went there once so he is an expert.  His videos are full of misinformation; I have stopped correcting him in the comments section because he never pays attention, he just backs off in his videos and says he is not the expert (but he makes the statements anyway) and it is good to remember that. For Siquijor, yes, take your vax card (original, copy not accepted) and just wear the mask where people may call you on it. If you feel sick, don't go there. DOH still quaratines positive results.

In Manila, it is still required to wear a mask outside. But I am certain that this applies everywhere, especially if one is taking public transportation.

Vaccination card/Identification is no longer required for most public establishments - for example, you may enter large malls or public venues without the need to present any Identification. it's actually become a bit of a joke.

This also rings true for taking taxis or smaller modes of transportation.

buses certainly do not require it, and no longer enforce social distancing.

Dining-out is of little concern these days. 

This is all from my own experience. i would be surprised if anyone has ever been asked by a security guard or law enforcement to present any Vaccination identification for anything.

As for entering the country at this time... well, there are plenty of resources for double-checking the latest mandated protocols for that, which seems to be updated with bare requirements as the months move on.

Just wear a mask, and exercise social distancing where required. you'll be good to go.