Property prices in Turkey (or Alanya)

A lot of news on excessive property prices in Turkey (for a very big part driven by oppotunistic investments). This is not good for locals I agree, but stopping people to sell is the tax (capital gains) when payable within 5 years (I think the TAPU is driving). Even if the selling price (as I understand is stable one pays for inflation (ie depreciation of TRY against EUR/USD).

I am a bit unclear what I have to pay when I were to sell, but I have to pay for sure (this is really one main reasons to wait for a number of years to sell).

Really a shame, if the gains (not really) were not to be taxed, I think many properties would come on the market (more affordable and good for many)

@cdw057 Just read an interesting article that after elections it is not allowed for 5 years (!!) to sell to foreigners, I have no problem with that but I think it will depress the prices quite a bit (which is the purpose).

The plan of Erdogan anyhow I think, and I think this will be an effective way to do so, however I think it would also be good to challenge all the landlords who do not pay (or too little taxes). By challenging these I think the prices will also go down (many properties on the market I think)

Following the topic, I kind of agree with cdw057.

@cdw057 Hi, just to be certain, are sure that the  foreigners will be not allowed to buy a house in Turkey after the election of June 2023? I ask you because we are looking to move in Turkey this summer  by buying a house. If it is an official source what you reported,  certainly we will move earlier. Many thanks to clarify  this point!

@Tassilli I would say bad luck, perhaps we were lucky to buy, but prices will go down (massively). Also a big clamp down on landlords (especially foreign) which is fine, but the impact on value of our property will be massive (by the way at this stage I think our Ikamet will be safe (permanent residents with property (but that is another matter))

Turkey in my view is just for holidays, renting, hotels. (Perhaps after a few months hotels only).

In a way I am neutral, but I sad for the poor German/... pensioners who just rent, they move back massively as I understand.

Please note I am just giving my opinion, nothing more. Turkey is great, but ..

https://www.yenialanya.com/haber/136448 … saklanacak

@cdw057 I do not like the landlords who rent out and do not pay taxes (loads of them I think), they Turkey should take them as well (even more especially I think)

@cdw057 Just read an interesting article that after elections it is not allowed for 5 years (!!) to sell to foreigners, I have no problem with that but I think it will depress the prices quite a bit (which is the purpose).
The plan of Erdogan anyhow I think, and I think this will be an effective way to do so, however I think it would also be good to challenge all the landlords who do not pay (or too little taxes). By challenging these I think the prices will also go down (many properties on the market I think)
-@cdw057

It certainly is quite unsettling to hear for those of us planning to move soon.  The politician making this assertion, CHP leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu is the opponent of the current president of Turkey, so I'm uncertain if this policy is firm or is it a promise to be imposed should leadership change hands.  This revelation does not appear to be a prevailing topic in the news as I only found one article on it (link below).  I'll be moving fast to make a purchase as time nears closer to the elections and becomes evident of its accuracy.

https://businessturkeytoday.com/kilicda … years.html

@Gino_C I do not know what happens, some logical decisions can be made, one of the logical decisions would be to increase the income/capital tresholds for renting. Real estate agents typically get there commission from sellers and buyers (I think there will be busy times for them).

Bottom line, normal people in Turkey are scared (rightfully so), keeping inflation in check will be important for Erdogan and other challengers, NOT selling properties to foreigners is one measure (quite effective), also clamping down on the thousands on foreign landlords who do not pay taxes is another (I think it is starting).

Buying now might (I have to say might) be a good decision, but I feel (good for you) prices will go down rapidly.

We will lose, fine, we bought September 2021, so in a way we are fine, even if we expect to incur a loss on sale. No need to sell at this stage though. Still become a resident ...

We are lucky (again), people are still friendly (restaurants, barbers, shops, ...) and even more so if number of foreigners dwindle (tourists will still come I am sure, but loyal clients ..)

People are not stupid, my wife goes to butcher at least once a week, supermarket also once per week, normal market it is more of a tradition but also, for me I go to the barber as little as I can (but my wife forces me at least once per 2 weeks), I smoke 3 packages of cigarettes per day, 3 LT Jameson Whicsy per day (my wife drinks wine)

Restaurants I try to go at least 3 x pw, we both love the food and service.

All in all we contribute quite a bit (even if the budget is EUR 2000 pm or just above)

The sad thing is that with all things going on for example German Pensioners who live in a rented apartments feel they have to leave.

Warning to you, make sure you can get your Ikamet and buy, do not trust new agencies, but only those well established and have a reputation to loose.