Employee bonus when I quit the company

Dear all,

I told my employer that I want to leave and would like to give my resignation in 2 weeks (Mid  February). My employer says that I am not entitled to bonus since I am leaving before April (when we have performance appraisal) and May (when the bonus is paid).

I asked my employer that the bonus is for the last year performance but he still says that it works like this : i.e if the employee leaves the company before the April/May then no bonus.

Can anyone please clarify if that's the case. or point me to some websites where i can know more on this.

Many thanks.

P.S : I am working in this company for 2 years since Dec 2020

There is no obligation for your employer to pay you a bonus unless this is contractually agreed. So I would recommend you to check your contract. If it is not written there that you will get a bonus every year, the employer is right in this case.

Make sure however that you will get your single and double holiday pay. First of all, everyone in Belgium receives holiday pay in May of the next year for the year before, even if you quit the company. You can consider this as an extra month of salary that you get annually. Secondly, you need to be paid for the holidays that you didn't take in 2022. (these two type of holiday pays are usually paid on with your last salary. I am sure the payroll provider is aware of this but still worth to check once you got your last pay slip to make sure they didn't make a mistake)