Holidays in first year of full-time work?

Hey. I started to work full-time last month, right after being done with my university. One colleague has told me that I could ask for "European holidays" (up to 10 days) after 3 months of work in my first year, despite Belgian law requiring a full year of work in order to get paid holidays.
I wonder if this is true and how does it work?
Also, if I only work 5 months in 2021, will I still receive my 20 days holidays next year?

thanks.

Yes it is true but check with your employeer to be sure about the amount of days. But yes, european leave is a real thing for workers who can't get “normal holidays” during their first year. Be aware that you wont get paid for these days.

You can read up on holiday leave HERE

I can give you my experience i took European holidays. Normally i got paid for them in my salary. But the money got deducted later from my holiday bonus which normally paid in may or june. So best is check with your HR or admin team.

@MaryRead

This is not correct: employees do get paid for each European holiday (= supplementary holiday) they take.

It is the equivalent pay as a working day.  However, it does affect the amount of double holiday pay that is paid out in the next year N+1. The double holiday pay is based on the number of days worked in year N and the number of days of statutory leave.   With a European holidays not being the equivalent of a day of statutory leave taken in Year N, the European holiday will not count as a day of statutory leave.  Therefore, this European holiday is not taken into account when calculating the amount of double holiday pay in N+1.

@MaryReadThis is not correct: employees do get paid for each European holiday (= supplementary holiday) they take.It is the equivalent pay as a working day.  However, it does affect the amount of double holiday pay that is paid out in the next year N+1. The double holiday pay is based on the number of days worked in year N and the number of days of statutory leave.   With a European holidays not being the equivalent of a day of statutory leave taken in Year N, the European holiday will not count as a day of statutory leave.  Therefore, this European holiday is not taken into account when calculating the amount of double holiday pay in N+1.        -@imagis

The correct is not paid. it is just getting your double pay money (of the next year) sooner! Basicaly speaking, the total you get whether taking EU holidays or not will be the same (after 12 months).

So saying you get paid during those days may let people think they still get 'advantages'.

HR in companies and institutions always say that they are NON PAID