Change of employer under single permit

Hello, apologies if this has been discussed before but I could not find.

I moved to Belgium with my family in Jan 2019 with B type work permit, which was renewed by my employer after 1 year to a single permit for 3 years. As I wanted to leave my current employer, I applied for the unlimited work permit at the end of October.

Now I got a job offer from another employer and I'm willing to accept. However I'm not sure how we can solve the work permit dilemma, so my questions are:
1. Is it correct that with Single Permit I can only work for current employer?
2. I checked my application with the authority and it looks like 9 weeks to process. Still I'm not sure whether they will approve.
3. Is it possible to transfer your work permit, i.e. from my current employer to candidate employer?

Thank you!

Hi Bel_expat,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

For a good start, i would advise you to go through the Living in Belgium guide.
It might help you.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

Thank you Priscilla! Indeed I checked but I think my issue is specific and I could not find so far.

Kind regards

Hello,

that question has been answer thousand of time already...
A work permit is linked to your employer. You can't exchange it.

You've to cancel your old work permit with your old employer and ask a new work permit for with your new employer.

Hi Alex,
when you change job in Belgium. For the new company to process your new work permit they are asking for last date in previous company. As a proof they are asking for resignation letter with last date mentioned.
Is there a way to tell the last date without actually resigning from the company?
Is it a mandatory document for processing the new work permit?

Hi,

How difficult is to switch job in Belgium in IT field ? and I don't know French or Dutch .will companies sponsor?

@vicky
Immigration & region want to know when you'll stop working for the previous company.
Indeed, you've to provide an official document from your company that state that your last working day will be dd/mm/yyyy.

Just remember that new work permit takes from 3 to 4 months.
So you need to have save enough money to handle the switch!

@magesh
super easy in IT... especially if you're already in Belgium.
You just have to succeed the interviews :cheers:

Hello,

Are there any links which can explain the process of switching jobs on local contact in Belgium under single permit.

I have a single permit and I plan to take up another offer but I am confused about the rules and regulations.

I don't want my permanent residence to be compromised due to the gap in between the job switch due to the delay in single permit.

Any inputs shall be appreciated.

Hi,

Check if you are eligible to apply for an unlimited work permit, which allows you to work in any company in Belgium. I applied for that and waiting for the result. It should take around 9-10 weeks. I couldnt find anothwr solution, new permit takes 6 months sometimes I think (pls check rekevant entries).

https://economy-employment.brussels/sin … -unlimited

Good luck!

If your spouse, your registered partner or your children are lawfully residing with you, :
you need to justify three years of employment covered by a single permit or a work permit, over a period of ten years of lawful and uninterrupted residence in Belgium immediately preceding the application.

If someone is working on single permit for 3 years and live with spouse is eligible for unlimited permit?

For my case i came to belgium in 2018 on work permit,
on Aug 2020 my wife also joined me in belgium so now i worked for more than 3 years can i apply for unlimited permit 🤔

As per the new rules, a person has to work for 5 yrs and also pay the taxes and social security. Only then one can apply for a permanent residency.

Hi, unlimited work permit does not mean permanent residency. It allows you to work in any company (unlike the single work permit where you are binded to a single company), and for 1 year only. You shall renew every year. Once you complete 5 years than you apply for permanent residency indeed.

Hi. At least how much salary should be for issuing single work permit?

If you apply for "unlimited work permit" with all documents, it may take as less as 30 days in Brussels. (You can be lucky as well).

I always received "unlimited work permit" for 2 years in Brussels region.

One can apply "unlimited work permit" after 1 cycle of tax filing. I had received "unlimited work permit" within 8 months of arrival to Brussels.

Hello everyone.

An amazing detailed information here regarding this topic.

Thank you all.

Jimsen wrote:

One can apply "unlimited work permit" after 1 cycle of tax filing. I had received "unlimited work permit" within 8 months of arrival to Brussels.

Thanks for sharing this information about your time for applying.
I arrived in Brussels in July of 2021 within visa D and I got my resident ID type A in October, so in the next October (One year) Can I apply for the "unlimited work permit"? Or my first cycle of tax filing is suppose to be ended this December?

Thank you

You can apply in 2022-Q1/Q2

One can change the job contract with the help of a Freelance / Professional card.

Hi,

for me single permit got approved for a client company of my current organization in India. But due to the change is client requirement ,I lost my opportunity . Can I travel with same single permit for different client company and different location in Belgium from my current organization. What are the steps needs to be followed to update with new company address, Since I am not started working with company against Single permit got approved.

Hi,
for me single permit got approved for a client company of my current organization in India. But due to the change is client requirement ,I lost my opportunity . Can I travel with same single permit for different client company and different location in Belgium from my current organization. What are the steps needs to be followed to update with new company address, Since I am not started working with company against Single permit got approved.
-@rjoy

Hello and hope you're well.

Unfortunately, the last message has been posted in 2021.

I can advise you to create a new topic for your question.

Have a nice day,

Mickael

Team Expat.com

my SP is expiring on 31-December-2022 and my current employer has applied my extension in Flanders region and it will take another 1 month for WA approval.

Now I got another job offer and new employer will also apply for my new WA in Brussels region.

Will there be any issue, please advise what should be the best approach.

The issue is that it will take 2-3-4 months to have a new single permit.

Meaning that when your current work permit expire you can't work anymore and need to wait your new work permit to start working and get money again ===> you must have enough money to take care of yourself

my SP is expiring on 31-December-2022 and my current employer has applied my extension in Flanders region and it will take another 1 month for WA approval.
Now I got another job offer and new employer will also apply for my new WA in Brussels region.
Will there be any issue, please advise what should be the best approach.
-@rajroyal85

Hi @rajroyal85, I wonder what happens when you already have a renewal process on going and another company wants to apply for a permit for you as well. Do you tell the current employer you are leaving and they withdraw the renewal application?

Hello,

A company was going to sponsor my visa in Belgium, I got the single permit, but I was laid off before the starting date of my job, so I didn't get to Belgium yet. I also got a visa type D (1 year) stamped on my passport. My question is: can I still travel to Belgium with this visa even just as a tourist for a couple of days? knowing that the company already revoked my single permit, but I still have the visa on my passport anyway

Thank you very much

Hello,
A company was going to sponsor my visa in Belgium, I got the single permit, but I was laid off before the starting date of my job, so I didn't get to Belgium yet. I also got a visa type D (1 year) stamped on my passport. My question is: can I still travel to Belgium with this visa even just as a tourist for a couple of days? knowing that the company already revoked my single permit, but I still have the visa on my passport anyway

Thank you very much

-@Mill01

Do not do that and make a black mark in your immigration history.

Hello all ,

if anyone can help me it would be so helpful 🙏🏻

so i am on a single permit in belgium working as a volunteer in an organization , i got a job offer from another company as a normal employee , can they apply for a new single permit for me ?

thank you again 🙏🏻

@ostanancy01 Yes, your new employer has to/must apply for a new single permit for you

Hello all,

If I change my employer working under a single permit and my work permit for the new employer is approved during the notice period which I had to work for the old employer, can I continue to work for the old employer until the end of this notice period? Or will my old work permit be canceled immediately? How does the procedure proceed at this stage?

Thanks in advance.

@egehanturan14

Hi, I was in a similar situation 5 years ago.

Once your work permit for the new employer is approved you then link your residence permit to the new work permit (the city hall helped me to do it).

With that you can still continue to work for your old employer until your notice period is done.

Your new employer should be aware of this situation and they can send that details to the government. I got my new work permit and I still worked 1 month for my old employer before transitioning...