Safety of water

I have just arrived in Mauritius from SA. Is the tap water safe for drinking and cooking, or should I boil it first or stick to bottled water. Currently I am using bottled water for everything.

@Kethani Hi! We are also from SA and have arrived about a month ago. We were advised to use bottle water and not tap water. Tap water needs to be boiled before using.

My advice is DON'T drink it !!! Always boil it first, it's very inconvenient but do it. I fix that buying a water machine have hot, cool and normal temperature water. When they make the demo in home it was really impressive, it's even hard to believe how dirty and unhealthy water can be and we don't see it!!! If you can you should have one, I seriously recommend.

@Kethani

i drink tap water and use tap water for cooking. But my wife drinks bottled water.  It's individual preferences.

@Kethani 😊 i have just put that on my list. Thanks. Will be there end of March from South Africa too.

I have just arrived in Mauritius from SA. Is the tap water safe for drinking and cooking, or should I boil it first or stick to bottled water. Currently I am using bottled water for everything.
-@Kethani

Here is the government site that describes where the tap water comes from -> https://publicutilities.govmu.org/Pages … /WRU.aspx.

The water sources are ground water (boreholes) and surface water (reservoirs). Both sources require filtration and then chlorination or ozonation before the water is sent into the distribution network. If the water distribution network supplying your home contains galvanized pipes, there is a high probability that there will be rust or contaminants from the pipe in the water.

Given that there is a long distance between where the water was first purified and where it reaches the faucet at home, it may be better to install a reverse osmosis filtration system in your house for any water that you would like to consume. It may not be necessary if your supply is very clean but at least, you will have the peace of mind that you have a local filtration system that can remove particulates and odors. However, if your supply is less than perfect, this should protect you from some gastric inconvenience. If your supply is really bad, your filtration system will become blocked really quickly - which will provide you with the clue that something is wrong with your water supply.

I rarely buy bottled water when I am in Mauritius because there is so much plastic bottle pollution. In order to keep the island clean and pretty, I bring a re-usable bottle that I refill at filtered water stations. My family and I have had no problems so far.

Hope that this helps.

Thank you for your responses. They have been very helpful

Tap water person can use, no problem.  If immune system is weak then boil and drink .

It's on choice . Mauritius tap water is good no problem in water.

Boiling water does not kill all pathogens or remove heavy metals & chlorine. I have a water filter & only use this water for drinking, cooking & animals. I see people buying gallons of water at supermarkets but I think investment in filter works out cheaper & safer. Also, if you buy bottled water, check it's ingredients. I have noticed that some have preservatives & additives in them.

We use a water filter. Send me a direct message if you want two company names for quotes.

@prospectorland Hi there, were exaclty are those 'water stations" to be found? Could you advise, please?

@prospectorland Hi there, were exaclty are those 'water stations" to be found? Could you advise, please?
-@begleitungmitherz

@begleitungmitherz, all the hotels that I have stayed at have filtered water stations to refill drinking bottles.  I think that there are also places in Mauritius that sell filtered water when you bring your own containers.  I think that I saw at a SuperU but you can also ask the locals.  However, if I were to stay in Mauritius for a long period, I would install a full reverse-osmosis filtration system at home - relatively cheap and easy to install.

Hope that this helps.

@Expat Ash

Hi there! Would you mind sharing the contact details for the water filter suppliers you mentioned in your March 2023 post? I'm keen to ditch plastics and keep our island cleaner in the process.

Thanks in advance.

@GuestPoster5111

Hi! Would you mind sharing where you got your water filter? Currently using a water fountain, but want to stop using reusable plastic water bottles. Thanks!

Reverse osmosis filters or water filters can be found by searching online (google: reverse osmosis filter mauritius).

Here are a few options: 

I use Pure Aqua -> https://pureaqua.com/reverse-osmosis-wa … mauritius/ but the residential version does not exist in Mauritius.

Hope that this helps.