Do you tip in Mauritius and how much?

What is the tipping guide in Mauritius and why?  I tip abundantly in USA, less in Canada, and rarely in Europe.  In USA, restaurant workers rarely earn a living wage and rely on tips to make ends meet.  This is much less the case in Canada and definitely not the case in Europe.

What is the situation in Mauritius?

Thank you.

Yes tip a lot.

I the UK Standard 'service charge' added to the bill is 10% for a couple, upto about 12.5% for a larger party. Of course many restaurants do not add a service charge. I usually add 10% and round it up. USA is very different-- 25-30% is expected I am told!

In Mauritius,

It is at the discretion of the client. Tipping is not mandatory. Foreigners would tip, locals not so much. The thing is that many Mauritians live on minimum wage and it is not customary to tip.

You can tip around 25 - 100 roupies + , depending on the quality of service directly to the employee after you have footed the bill. (if it's just for a coffee, drink, appetiser, you usually don't tip)

Regards

Bhavna

In Mauritius,
It is at the discretion of the client. Tipping is not mandatory. Foreigners would tip, locals not so much. The thing is that many Mauritians live on minimum wage and it is not customary to tip.

You can tip around 25 - 100 roupies + , depending on the quality of service directly to the employee after you have footed the bill. (if it's just for a coffee, drink, appetiser, you usually don't tip)

Regards
Bhavna
-@Bhavna

Thank you @Bhavna. Good to know that tipping is optional.

There is no real standard here for tipping. I tip anyone who gives me anything better than I expected or goes over and above.

My experience till now is if you get a good service and intend to go back to the place give a good tip 👍

Tipping is important no doubt. Please also treat staff politely, it always helps.

I tip all the time.

We tip not because of the other person but for ourselves.

When we are tipping we say to our subconscious mind that we are grateful to have money in abundance so that we can give to others whose services we like.

Such an attitude brings more money to ourselves, in turn because our subconscious mind understands that we need more money as we have to give to others whom we like!

Hope it makes sense.

I rarely tip due to extra bad advice and service.  The Island time life is a reality here, so do expect a totally new way of life as everyone wants to please but they think that not telling the truth, as they don't want you to be upset if bad news, like food will not come for 40 minutes not 10 minutes or your order at shop will take months not next week!!   You do get used to it, but after more than a year living here, it does not get better.

Adding to the last post expectations need to be lowered or it will drive you mad. Also you need a fixer; a local person who can help you when it's very important to know the truth, or the right process.  Our estate agent was that person and we rely on him often.

I tip serving staff in restaurants when I get good service, which I'm pleased to say has happened a lot. 

Like most places, you get great service, good service, mediocre service and poor service… a lot has to do with staff training, attitude and motivation. 

@Tookays Very true, treat others the way you would like to be treated and you will see the difference.

If the price is lower than the goods or services I got, I tip up to the figure I would have paid for it.

@AussieInMauritius that is an amazing attitude! Next time I go to a restaurant in Mauritius, I will be thinking of you.