Medication on prescription

Hello to you all! Who can help me...?

As I have already mentioned on this platform, I may start a new job (i.e. a "New Life") on the island of Santo Alhao in the course of 2024. For how long, remains to be seen...

Although I am going to C.V. at the beginning of April, I couldn't wait to reach out to you guys, regarding my insecurity/lack of any information on the topic of how C.V. handles "foreign" prescribed medication; the point is that my daily medication is subject to very strict regulations and are considered "narcotic medication" (even in Belgium).

1/ Will it be available there?

2/ Can they get to the needed ingredients?

3/ In case the above isn't applicable; how can I ever get the medication to me?

I checked with the Belgian National Post, where I was told that all medications entering the C.V. are stopped at customs. Even painkillers!

If anyone has any experience with this kind of (possibly) practical obstacles, or if any of you can confirm that I needn't worry or rather, that it is not to be obtained on the Islands, I will be immensely grateful for your reaction.

Are the chances of finding an "International" pharmacy (or bigger, broader minded,... pharmacy) higher on one or another island? Which one(s) is/are the more "modern" / "Western"? Apologies for the less ideal choice of words, I mean no offense.

Thank you in advance for your invaluable input!

Warm regards,

Sarah

Hello to you all! Who can help me...?
As I have already mentioned on this platform, I may start a new job (i.e. a "New Life") on the island of Santo Alhao in the course of 2024. For how long, remains to be seen...

Although I am going to C.V. at the beginning of April, I couldn't wait to reach out to you guys, regarding my insecurity/lack of any information on the topic of how C.V. handles "foreign" prescribed medication; the point is that my daily medication is subject to very strict regulations and are considered "narcotic medication" (even in Belgium).
1/ Will it be available there?
2/ Can they get to the needed ingredients?
3/ In case the above isn't applicable; how can I ever get the medication to me?

I checked with the Belgian National Post, where I was told that all medications entering the C.V. are stopped at customs. Even painkillers!

If anyone has any experience with this kind of (possibly) practical obstacles, or if any of you can confirm that I needn't worry or rather, that it is not to be obtained on the Islands, I will be immensely grateful for your reaction.
Are the chances of finding an "International" pharmacy (or bigger, broader minded,... pharmacy) higher on one or another island? Which one(s) is/are the more "modern" / "Western"? Apologies for the less ideal choice of words, I mean no offense.

Thank you in advance for your invaluable input!

Warm regards,
Sarah Verbeke
-@Saar76

Hello Sarah,

I will try to help you understand how prescription drugs/medications work in Cape Verde as health care issues are not always as advanced as in developd countries. First, prescription (and also non-prescription) medications are considered legally controlled substances in Cape Verde. They are regulated by ERIS which is the sole state agency responsible. All medications (whether prescription on non-prescription) are imported by IMPROFAC which is the only entity authorzed to import and distribute medications in CV. All drugstores regardless of which island they are located on, must obtain medications from IMPROFAC, the sole distributor. Therefore, regardless of where you take your prescription, that pharmacy will have access to the same medications as every other pharmacy.

Foreigners can personally bring their prescription medications with them into Cape Verde if they are accompanied by the prescrption authorized by a foreign doctor. Medications for chronic conditions can be brough in even without a prescription. Since only IMPROFAC is authorized to import medications, you cannot have medications of any kind mailed to you as they will be intercepted by Customs and disposed of without any notice given to you.

Once you are here in Cape Verde your can use a prescription emitted by a FOREIGN doctor at any local pharmacy for up to six months. After 6 months you must obtain a replacement prescription from a local doctor. In both cases, you will certainly have a huge problem if the said medication (or a suitable non-brand equivalent) is not available in Cape Verde. However, in special circumstances, any pharmacy can makke a special request (e.g., life-saving) to IMPROFAC to import a medication that is not normally available locally.

There is a big exception to all of this - there are certain types of drugs that may be perfectly legal in some foreign countries BUT are illegal in Cape Verde. In such cases, you would not be allowed to enter the country with them (assuming they search your bags and find these items), they will not be available via the local pharmacies. nor can they be ispecially mported by IMPROFAC.

In Cape Verde, we are quite behind the times when it comes to the healthcare sector. There is a very simple way to get to the bottom of all this in your specific case. Send me a PRIVATE message and let me know what is the specific medication you are referring to. I will go directly to IMPROFAC which is located just up the street from me and I will find out if it (or an equivalent substitute) is available here or whether they can legally import it on your behalf if it is not.

By the way, I believe the island you are going to be visiting is spelled SANTO ANTAO. You should really get the spelling correct as it will be difficult to obtain island-specific information via web seaches, CV government websites,  etc (even though such reources are few).

Best regards,

Angelo

@CVAngelo

Dear Angelo,

At this time tomorrow, I will be waiting to board the airplane which will bring me to Cape Verde.

I hope that your offer of helping out (with regard to the medication) is still standing, so that I can contact you in case I would need further assistance?

I'm in the company of my 2 friends that are having their luxe resort built, and who know the island of Santo Antao and the language quite well.

I hope all will be super, so that I can confirm my move here somewhere next year!

Best regards,

Sarah

@CVAngelo
Dear Angelo,
At this time tomorrow, I will be waiting to board the airplane which will bring me to Cape Verde.
I hope that your offer of helping out (with regard to the medication) is still standing, so that I can contact you in case I would need further assistance?

I'm in the company of my 2 friends that are having their luxe resort built, and who know the island of Santo Antao and the language quite well.

I hope all will be super, so that I can confirm my move here somewhere next year!

Best regards,
Sarah
-@Saar76

Hi Sarah,

I'd be happy to help. My offer still stands. Be sure to contact me via private message to ensure your privacy is maintained.

Safe travels,

Angelo

@CVAngelo

Dear Angelo,

I was wondering how I can send you a private message; does that work through this portal as well, or do I need to contact you in another way.

I guess I will be off easier by asking your assistance with regard to the medical issue.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Warm regards,

Sarah

Hello Sarah.

Simply click on the profile of CVAngelo and you will be able to send him a private message 1f609.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Yoginee

Thanks a lot!

Sarah

@CVAngelo
Dear Angelo,
I was wondering how I can send you a private message; does that work through this portal as well, or do I need to contact you in another way.
I guess I will be off easier by asking your assistance with regard to the medical issue.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Warm regards,
Sarah
-@Saar76

Hi Sarah,

I received your private message. I responded with the answer to your question including how you can obtain the medicaments here in CV. If you wish to speak via email or other personal contact method, please send me a message with your contact info.

Regards,

Angelo

Dear Angelo,

Although i "only" intend to visit Cape Verde as a tourist i have the same question as Sarah and haven't found any other information so far. Can i send you a dm?

Federico

Dear Angelo,
Although i "only" intend to visit Cape Verde as a tourist i have the same question as Sarah and haven't found any other information so far. Can i send you a dm?

Federico

-@Federico141

Hi Frederico,

Please send me a private message here on Expat. We can exchange contact info there. Or you can simply ask me there about your medications.

Regards,

Angelo

From US, retired female, don't speak the language. Thinking of becoming a part time nomad need good internet access.  Advice?

From US, retired female, don't speak the language. Thinking of becoming a part time nomad need good internet access.  Advice?        -@elderkc7

Hi ElderKC,

This is the wrong thread to post on.  I'll ask the administrator to move it to one of the threads on Internet services later.

But to answer your question, you simply have to request the internet service from one of the two providers, CV Telecom or Unitel Tmais. They will come to your personal residence or business location and set everything up for y ou, including a WiFi router. If you prefer to just use internet on your phone, both providers provide 4G services over their national networks. All of my own work is done online. I have internet plans with BOTH providers on my phone which is dual-SIM (I pay $10/month each for7GB of data each), and I use Telecom for my home WiFi ($70/month for the fastsest service and unlimited data).

I have no complaints. The internet and WiFi is very fast. But I must say that my preference is Telecom.

Cheers,

Angelo

Thanks,

Why is this the wrong vehicle to post on?

Thanks, Why is this the wrong vehicle to post on?        -@elderkc7

This thread is about finding prescription medications in CV. You're OK. I'm simply asking the administrators to move your post and mine to a related thread so that others can more easily find your question and my response about Internet services. That's all really. You don't need to do anything.

Angelo