Bringing Pets to Cape Verde

Has anyone brought pets (dog, cat...) to Cape Verde and can tell whether they have to be quarantined or if they can move right into their new home?

Obrigado,
Julian

Would  also love to  know the answer to this question
Bwills im irish thinking of retiring to CV

Hi Julian,

Pets can be brought into Cape Verde as long as they have a international "pet visa" without being quarantined. This means the pet has to have had its required shots, internal and external deworming, etc.

In addition to having up-to-date vaccines and being dewormed, the pet must also be chipped.

Finally, you'll need to get an International Sanitary Certificate issued by the official veterinary authority in the country where the pet is located, 48 hours before the trip.

Hope this helps. As you might imagine given the above, uneventfully bringing a pet from developed countries straight into CV (pet walks in with you) is relatively straightforward.

Regards,

Angelo

julianangel wrote:

Has anyone brought pets (dog, cat...) to Cape Verde and can tell whether they have to be quarantined or if they can move right into their new home?

Obrigado,
Julian

Obrigado, Angelo!

In our case it would be two cats, which we would carry in transport boxes or baskets. Like hand luggage :-)

Yes, exactly. Once you have the necessary procedures perfomed and bring the required documentary proof to show, you walk right in with the pets in the transport cages.

I've helped clients do this in the past. There was never a single problem (except transporting them to other islands because the domestic ferry company has their own set of rules that has nothing to do with the government). I presume you'll be flying directly into Boavista and not going to any other island with them.

In other words, the international transport is a piece of cake, but the domestic transport is where people have challenges. Why? Because, there all kinds of animals shipped between islands such as sheep, goats, cows, horses...but never dogs and cats. You bring your pet dog or cat - they treat it like it's a goat that is going to be sold for meat. Kinda funny if you ask me!

Cheers,

Angelo

julianangel wrote:

Obrigado, Angelo!

In our case it would be two cats, which we would carry in transport boxes or baskets. Like hand luggage :-)

Hi Jojo,

I've answered your questions below:

Do I need anything else? I think I need a certificate of health? But do I need this from the originating country? Because we are in Spain but will travel to Portugal for the flight. So I'm not sure if I need to do this before I leave Spain. Yes, the pet must be chipped (I assume it already is even though you did not mention it). And yes, you will definitely need an International health certificate from the country where you were resident, but I don't think it maters whether it is issued in Spain or Portugal seeing that the standards are equal across Europe.

Also, I am hoping to start a business in CV - but I wanted to stay for 30 days to see if I like it first (I will hopefully extend this whilst I apply for the longer 6 month visa. I'm finding different/contradictory information online so some clarity would be great. The information you will find online is 100% unreliable because the sources of that information is not the official source. The official source is the goverment agency where you register the business and they do NOT publish any information online. You can only get accurate information directly from them (or someone like me who actually helps investors register their businesses in CV for a living). I also can help you with the tourism visa extension and/or residency visa application process because here too, there is no reliable information that I have ever found online (since, again, the immigration authority does not have a website with this info).

Send me a private message if you have additional detailed questions or if you want more details about business registration or visa applications. For example, it would be good to know in which island you plan to reside and startup your business, as well as the nature of that business.

Cheers,

Angelo

JoJo Rebecca wrote:

Hello CVAngelo,

I'm hoping to come to CV in the next week but I have a little chihuahua who travels with me. I need help to know what he needs for entry - I have a pet passport and he has had his rabies vaccination and deworming (4 months ago)... Do I need anything else? I think I need a certificate of health? But do I need this from the originating country? Because we are in Spain but will travel to Portugal for the flight. So I'm not sure if I need to do this before I leave Spain.

I'm British but have Spanish residency. So my dogs passport is European.

Also, I am hoping to start a business in CV - but I wanted to stay for 30 days to see if I like it first (I will hopefully extend this whilst I apply for the longer 6 month visa.

I'm finding different/contradictory information online so some clarity would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Jojo

Hi I brought my 4 dogs 3 years ago. They had all the required vax in the UK plus rabies vax plus flea and worm treatment within 48 hours of flight plus fit to fly certificate from the vet that was it. To be truthful their documentation was more thoroughly checked in Portugal which is where we flew to first than in Cape verde. Oh and they had to be microchipped before we left but they already were as it is uk law. Hope this helps

Thank you, Janeyb.
So I presume your dogs did not have to quarantine anywhere?

No, they didn't go into quarantine they came straight home with us once all their papers were checked. To be honest all their docs were in English so I am not sure the lovely guy at the airport knew what they said but we had all the right docs and had followed all the correct procedure so I wasnt worried plus 2 of our dogs are dalmatians the entire airport were too busy admiring them to say much to us other than beautiful dogs. I don't know about other Islands but here on Sao Vicente there is no quarantine facilities anyway. I wouldn't have brought them if i had to quarantine them I would have stayed in the UK with them and not emigrated until they had passed away at an old age as they were 6 and 7 years old at the time and had never even been in kennels overnight. I am extremely precious over my dogs so i definitely would not have gone anywhere where quarantine was a requirement

Hi JaneyB
I just wondered did they have to be crated or how did they travel on plane
Bwills

Hi, Yes they had to be crated. There are special airline crates that you need and specific procedures to follow but it is not difficult. For example over 4 hour flights require you to tape a bag of one meal or more than one depending on the length of the flight to the top of the crate. The crates must have the airline LIVE PET stickers I got mine from ebay. There is are a few forms that need filling out and attaching to the crate they must have a water bowl and water attached to the door of the crate they caan only have a thin paper pad on the bottom of the crate for toileting no blankets or whatever and if i remember I their leash must be attached to the top of the crate and of course you must attach a copy of all required documents

@CVAngelo Hello! I am a US expat living in Poland so my dog has an EU Passport. We are relocating to Cape Verde in July. Does he still need a health certificate if he has the passport?

@CVAngelo Hello! I am a US expat living in Poland so my dog has an EU Passport. We are relocating to Cape Verde in July. Does he still need a health certificate if he has the passport?

- @lestclai

Hi,

Yes. Please see again all the previous responses from me and JaneyB.

Cheers,

Angelo

Hi Angelo,

First, thank you for your previous detailed answers, it's really useful.

I've an additional question regarding carrying my pet (15lbs dog) from Boa vista to Sao Vicente in cabin, do you know the current situation ? Is it still as painful as it used to be ?

Cheers

Cyril

Hi Angelo,
First, thank you for your previous detailed answers, it's really useful.
I've an additional question regarding carrying my pet (15lbs dog) from Boa vista to Sao Vicente in cabin, do you know the current situation ? Is it still as painful as it used to be ?
Cheers
Cyril
-@NansCB

Hi Cyril,

Nothing has changed. The process is the same. And the voyage is just as long. There may be some new ships running the routes depending on when you last traveled on the ferries. Good luck.

Angelo

Many thanks Angelo.

This info is all very helpful. I have an additional question: we will be coming from Canada via Portugal, with about 5 days in Portugal before carrying on to Praia. As a result, there will be more than 48 hours between when our dog's International Sanitary Certificate is signed in Canada, and when we arrive in Cabo Verde.  Should i make arrangements in Portugal to get an ISC from a vet there? Thanks for your help.

This info is all very helpful. I have an additional question: we will be coming from Canada via Portugal, with about 5 days in Portugal before carrying on to Praia. As a result, there will be more than 48 hours between when our dog's International Sanitary Certificate is signed in Canada, and when we arrive in Cabo Verde.  Should i make arrangements in Portugal to get an ISC from a vet there? Thanks for your help.

-@snoodle

Hi Snoodle,

The health regulation literally says that you need to have the ISC issued within 48 hours of starting your trip, not within 48 hours of arrival in CV, so you could always claim that you were in transit in Portugal. To be frank, they actually do not pay much attention to detail here. As long as you have the piece of paper on hand, they probably won't even check the date.

However, if it won't be a great inconvenience in terms of time and cost, it would be safe for your peace of mind to get another ISC just before you leave Portugal.

Best regards,

Angelo

@CVAngelo

Thank you! That is immensely helpful.

Hi Angelo

i'm coming to CV on Wednesday and I'm bringing my service dog

Although his EU passport is up to date, I just realized that CV also requires a Sanitary Certificate

Will my local vet be able to provide me one or does it have to be issued by a goverment authority ?

please advise

@panyc77

Your local vet can provide you with a Sanitary Certificate.

However, if you take you dog from the island where you first enter to another island, you will then need another local certificate from the Ministry of Agriculture or a local vet! Please plan accordingly.

Safe travels and have a great stay in CV,

Angelo

@CVAngelo

so do I need to bring his passport or will the Sanitary Certificate be sufficient ?

My vet should know what a Sanitary Certificate should be like and what it should state, correct ?

@CVAngelo

we are landing in Boavista first then Sal but without leaving the aircraft ....does that apply ?