Marriage to a Belgian as a non Eu citizen

How can my bf and I get married in Belgium. Him and I have been dating long distantly for 5 months now and we'd like to live together and be together. We haven't seen each other in person before just through video and this would be the first time. We're both adults legally. Is it possible for us to officiate our relationship and get married and be together.  Applying for a type c schengen visa then within the period get married because we don't want to do long distance anymore. Kindly help.

@Sharon Ndutakimani am triza from kenya I applied marriage 8/8 2023 waiting visa

The best action I can advise you to do is to ask your bf to go to the "commune" or the city hall near to where he is living, there is a department "Etat civil" who will answer you more accurately as the requirements differ from case to case. they will ask for the first page of your and his passport (or his ID since he is belgian) then they will tailor the requirements accordingly, hope this help.

Kind regards

i know how u feel but do not rush things with applying visa with view on marriage before u maximize ur chances...

because from what i see now

Belgium immigration will reject ur case at a very high chance

unless both of u are in Belgium right now

right now i see 2 issues that Belgium immigration requires (given or taken)

• atleast +2 years relationship with regular base contact (call / chat / webcam / etc)
  • atleast meeting 2-3 times in 2 years in total 45 days

go to a visa free country togheter & spend time (build up time/proofs to make stable relationship)

i pressume ur partner is financially stable to support both once u arrive in Belgium?

The best action I can advise you to do is to ask your bf to go to the "commune" or the city hall near to where he is living, there is a department "Etat civil" who will answer you more accurately as the requirements differ from case to case. they will ask for the first page of your and his passport (or his ID since he is belgian) then they will tailor the requirements accordingly, hope this help. Kind regards        -@najlaaalyamani

Sorry, you do NOT know the rules.

In Belgium, it is like in other countries.

When authorities suspect a "white" or "grey" mariage in order to violate immigration laws, it is a NO because a fraud.

Before taking a decision, authorities ask questions such when/how and where did you meet, how long have you been together, how often did you meet, where, how long each time... You also have to provide recent photos of both together, copies of passport to show visas and other proofs you guys have travelled to meet in person etc etc..

In the case of a purely virtual "relationship", the mariage will not be allowed. The immigration authorities may contact Procureur and it will be bad news.

This is the way for instance in France to mention UE only but I am sure it's like that everywhere (in the US too)

I did marry a foreigner myself (real relationship) and believe me, there was a huge amount of bureaucracy to do in both countries, dealing with consulates before filing for marriage.

It is not just going to municipal authorities and get married.

@Sharon Ndutakimani hey sharon mi ni mwenzako kutoka nyumbani....tunaeza ongea mahali pengine nkusaidie vile utafanya? nisaidie email yako ama number ya cmu.....you have a long way to go.but you will get there with time.

@wipopoo88 Yes of course. Email ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@wipopoo88 ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 months ago
Reason : Please write in english only
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Myrtille319

Thanks a lot.

I agree with the level of bureaucracy. I am a non-Belgian who's working in Belgium and my partner is also a non-Belgian and not living in Belgium.  The first thing I did was that I went to the CITY HALL "Commune" to know the process and they asked me as a first step to email them our passports and my Belgian ID which I did. they returned back to me with the list of 5 documents to fulfil from both of us and within 15 days (after having those 5 documents) we can do the marriage ceremony.

we (my partner and myself) compared the process of marrying in Belgium vs USA and found that USA is winning. the process over there is way easier so we did it there.

Ask for an visa for EU for 3 months.. You can mention the marriage reason or not upto you.

Documents required.

Original copy of birth certificate with apostille.

Certificate that you are unmarried

And citizen certificate in that case passport

Fly to Belgium. Inform city hall.

Police will visit to check for address.

Then ask you to visit special branch for interview. To check fake or genuine relationship.

Wait for at least 3 months. If Approve the marriage.

Request for Register for the marriage.

Goto to cityhall on the date marriage with 2 extra witnesses. Done

Then request for fcard. Model B will be issued then waiting time aprox 6 months

If approved u can stay with your partner in belgium.

Please make sure your belgium partner should have stable job proof he/she can support you.

Otherwise possibilities are low as law become more stricter..

Best of luck