Language proficiency of Belgium citizenship

Hello

just came across this
Link to article

according to this article
"In order to obtain Belgian citizenship and at moment of deposition of a statement of nationality at the Registrar of civil status you will need to prove in some cases the knowledge (level A2) of one of the three official languages ​​of Belgium.

The Royal Decree of January 14, 2013 lists eight possibilities to submit evidence of language skills. Among others, prove of 5 years of continuous employment before applying for the citizenship is listed as prove of sufficient knowledge of one of our national languages.

Many expatriates living in Belgium will often not have followed language lessons in Belgium.

But they can satisfy the language requirement if they can show that they have worked continuously during 5 years in Belgium prior to the declaration of nationality, even if they would not have knowledge of French, Dutch or German at speaking level A2.

Recently the Court of Appeal of Ghent, in its judgment on December 24, 2015 (Docket 2014/1095) has explicitly confirmed the above. The Belgian legislature has clearly opted for a documentary system. Therefore pay slips demonstrating five years of continuous employment are eligible to prove language skills.  Having same controlled by the holding for example of a conversation with a local police officer will not be allowed in the current state of the law.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
has someone been able to verify the authenticity ?

i think i will be able to getting my long term residency this year. I have not learn Dutch or French so far, nor have i attended the integration courses. Does it mean that right after I get a long term residency, i can apply for Belgian Citizenship ? Not that I want to apply for one, but I was always under the impression that we need to demonstrate language proficiency (upto certain levels) and also attend the integration course and the road to citizenship takes around 10 years :)

Thanks and looking forward to your comments !!

Thanks for reading

Anyone applying under the 5 years continuous uninterrupted employment satisfies the language requirements, the economic and social participation.  There is no need to prove language skills.

I am already fluent in 1 of the official languages and have a good level of a 2nd and a poor level of a 3rd, I became Belgian by submitting the income statements and payslips and a new birth certificate translated and legalized, and by writing I would uphold the law and agree with the UN charter on human rights, I chose French to write this. That is all you need to do in one of the 3 languages in the above case.

I can't verify if this is true or not, but it seems strange that someone would be able to get citizenship just based on the fact that he/she worked continuously for 5 years in Belgium and doesn't have to prove a basic command of any of the three languages.  In my opinion it could possibly depend on other factors whether you have to prove proficiency in one of these languages or not.  I know as a Non-EU citizen I had to prove I was proficient.  You should check with your commune/gemeente about what is correct and not correct for your situation.  These requirements and laws have been changing frequently in the last 5 years, so it's best not to check on a website especially this one to confirm what is or isn't authentic.  All the best.

Liebelle wrote:

I can't verify if this is true or not, but it seems strange that someone would be able to get citizenship just based on the fact that he/she worked continuously for 5 years in Belgium and doesn't have to prove a basic command of any of the three languages.  In my opinion it could possibly depend on other factors whether you have to prove proficiency in one of these languages or not.  I know as a Non-EU citizen I had to prove I was proficient.  You should check with your commune/gemeente about what is correct and not correct for your situation.  These requirements and laws have been changing frequently in the last 5 years, so it's best not to check on a website especially this one to confirm what is or isn't authentic.  All the best.

The requirements have not changed frequently over the last 5 years. Nationality law changed ONE TIME by Royal Decree on 14th January 2013.

I can confirm that 5 years continuous and uninterrupted employment satisfies the
language proficiency
social integration
economic participation
of the Declaration of nationality code (art 12bis).

It is not strange at all to obtain Belgian nationality based on 5 years continuous and uninterrupted legal employment (plus no criminal record or threat to national security). It is the law.

Apart from myself, I know personally another 20 odd people who in the last 6 months have obtained Belgian nationality under the 5 years uninterrupted continuous employment category. It sure saves having to prove language proficiency with further documentation and the social integration too.

The following links are very useful.
http://www.allrights.be/comment-devenir-belgehttp://www.allrights.be/sites/www.allri … nglais.pdf

Thanks so much for providing your detailed feedback. Much appreciated..

Belgian nationality is now obtained using the law of 14/1/2013 of DECLARATION and indeed this is the law which has the language competency attached to it. However, as already explained, 5 years continuous and uninterrupted work in Belgium is counted as proof of language (yes it seems silly, especially if someone is working in English for the entire 5 years) so you don't have to take a separate test of provide language qualifications.

hi,
what about some one who lived in a German speaking country for 6 years with German language B1 level and an EU-permanent Resident card. After how long can he apply for Belgian citizenship if he transferred his job to Belgium?

Best it to check with your local commune. Maybe having resided in Germany can help towards the 5 year requirement of uninterrupted work stay in Belgium. Not sure how many years they will take into account. Also you need to prove integration in belgium - if you were working in Belgium this is generally waived off. So double check with your commune.

Indeed, the best is to present your case to the local commune and they will suggest.

Thanks a lot for the replies. By the way how hard is it for a young family to survive in Ghent area with only English and Intermediate German?  Government authorities,Schools, Doctors ..

Of course it is possible after five years to apply for Belgian nationality. But if after five years you have not learned one of the national languages, it will just show that you have never tried to integrate yourself.

as mentioned in the question, have B1-German certificate already,and an EU-permanent resident card after living 5+ years a German speaking country. If language is an important indicator of integration to Belgium society as you say, will  having B1 and living in EU be beneficial to apply for citizenship earlier than 5 years then?
How much is German accepted in places like Ghent,Brussel? From my experience, I heard almost no German spoken except in areas within very few kms from the border,not even in Liege!

Rviji wrote:

If language is an important indicator of integration to Belgium society as you say, will  having B1 and living in EU be beneficial to apply for citizenship earlier than 5 years then?

It makes no difference and thus you can't apply earlier than 5 years.

oh, that means the knowledge of official language requirement for integration is just an excuse to make sure the individual has been living in Belgium for the minimum given time. :D

My question regarding applying for citizenship is my husband it the one who has worked for 10 years in Belgium and can also speak French.  However I have not worked and do not speak French.  If both of us apply for citizenship would I still be required to have a second language?  Any thoughts?

You must know one of the three main languages, (Dutch, French or German) to apply for citizenship.

If course !!!

Once again, you have to proove your integration...

Lived here  in Belgium for 10 years and have the scars to prove it.

belgianbelle wrote:

Lived here  in Belgium for 10 years and have the scars to prove it.

But you still need to know one of the 3 languages, even if you are married to a Belgium citizen.

Yep message received husband and I are Canadian he has French and I do not