Belgian looking for a job in Brazil

Hello everyone! I am moving to Brasil in February. I am actively seeking employment opportunities, something remote or with an international company based in Rio. I would greatly appreciate any tips or recommendations you may have on where to start my job search. Thank you!

11/15/23    Hello everyone! I am moving to Brasil in February. I am actively seeking employment opportunities, something remote or with an international company based in Rio. I would greatly appreciate any tips or recommendations you may have on where to start my job search. Thank you!

-@marieduthoo

Welcome, Marie!  Are you moving as the spouse of a Brazilian, or as a Digital Nomad?  A spouse on a family unification visa can quickly become a legal resident with an unlimited stay, and can look for a job on the same footing as a Brazilian citizen.  Digital Nomads can stay for a year and keep renewing, but their income must come from sources outside Brazil.  For details on the Digital Nomad visa, check the website for the Brazilian Embassy in Brussels.

As a Belgian citizen on a visitor visa or visa waiver, you'll only be able to stay 90 days with no extension, although after 90 days outside Brazil you will be able to return for another 90 days.  You will not be allowed to work for pay, and it will be extremely difficult to find an employer to sponsor your residency.  If you find an international company willing to hire you for a position in Brazil while you're still in Europe, they will work with you to obtain an Employment Visa prior to your move.

@marieduthoo My humble advice is that you pursue the Digital Nomad path. Working in Brazil can be very difficult if you are relying on being paid in Brazil vs. bringing your own money. It can be very difficult to get a job (regulations, language etc.)  The Digital Nomad visa will also require you to make contract arrangements with a company that hires remote workers BEFORE you come to Brazil . Best to do it now.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg aka ~quickly~

Hello everyone! I am moving to Brasil in February. I am actively seeking employment opportunities, something remote or with an international company based in Rio. I would greatly appreciate any tips or recommendations you may have on where to start my job search. Thank you!

-@marieduthoo

Expect to get underpaid. Salaries here, even for tech, aren't that great.  Rio isn't necessarily a tech hub to beging with. Rio Universities don't rank high in terms of value they bring to the local economy.

Places where there are thriving tech ecosystem are...

Blumenau-SC

Campinas-SP

Sorocaba-SP

Sao Paulo-SP

Curitiba-PR

Porto Alegre-RS

Santa Maria-RS

Sao Jose dos Campos-SP

Belo Horizonte-MG

I think it is also worthwhile pointing out that Digital Nomad Visas cannot be viewed as a way to extend Tourist Visas. The DV applicant does need to have a work contract with a company based outside Brazil before applying.

Therefore it is suitable for applicants who are given the opportunity by an employer (they cannot be self-employed) to be able to work from home, but who wants to travel at the same time. Not for students (even mature students) or others, who just want travel round Brazil, maybe finding work here and there to finance their travels.

What type of job are you looking for? As sprealestatebroker mentioned, salaries here aren't great, even for professionals 1f615.svg. It's good to investigate this before hand to adapt your expectations. If you have a good level of English, the best option is to find international companies that hire people in Brazil. Occasionally, I come across tech companies on LinkedIn that offer full remote positions in Brazil; some don't even have an office in BR and request you to work as a contractor, known here as a "PJ" (Pessoa Jurídica).

The point I am making across.....

It is a tendency here, around corporate circles, to cut payroll to the bone. So they outsource the bejesus out of their contributors, rather making them to work with a self employment contract. Basically,  disguised gig work. Which is the only way to get the pay rate you feel deserving.

They do as such because the tax and fringe benefits here, despite low pay rate as a full time employee, is a big chunk employers must foot. 

I learn of a lot of computer jocks ( call it whatever you fancy, software engineers, coders, I do not care ) in Brazil tend to work on a services contract, so they can book at a higher pay rate.  It's not steady pay, but the rate tends to be more in line with contractor's expectations.

Now, for that to happen, then she needs to master the Portuguese Language, or else, no dice.

Her best plan to action is to parlay a gig with an European or American company that lets her to choose where to work. Then she can work in Rio, as she daydreams about.