I was thinking about Piedras Negras

@Julien

Hi,

I retired 2 years ago. I worked as a Social Worker in Colorado. Since retirement, I bought a more manageable smaller house . I have 2 sweet dogs. I'm contemplating moving to Mexico mostly due to the political situation here and becoming unbearable! So I'm escaping.

I was thinking about Piedras Negras due to the closeness with the border.  My hesitation is Medicare and Medicare advantage. My insurance is wonderful with 0 payable by me for just about everything. I saw the video about Medicare (with Jim?) but it didn't give me details for my situation, obviously. I don't want to lose that. I didn't fully understand how to manage that.

Maybe I'll find out through this site. I'll be renting but need a fenced yard for my dogs. I have not been able to get any understanding about renting or buying a house. I don't speak Spanish but hope to learn. I read that Piedras Negras is congested and there's a problem getting around. Don't know if that's true or not. It seems like a beautiful town .

Well, just saying hello. Name is Rashmi and I came to this country in 1975, a long time ago. I have no desire to go back to India!

Hope tolearn from you all.

@rashmisingh131

Hello Rashmi

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself and share your initial questions in the introduction thread.

I've noticed the thoughtful questions you've raised, and I believe they could benefit from more exposure if you open a new topic on the Mexico forum.

Would you consider opening a new topic on the forum? This way, members can provide more detailed responses.

All the best

Bhavna

Thanks Bhavna. I'm trying to understand how this site works.

We are here to guide you ^^

This is the link to the Main forum : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=442

You can see all the threads opened by members.

At the top you'll find the post a new topic button, to create a new thread if you have questions and on the right our destinations forum (sub forums) for the different regions. However, not all the regions are listed.

Enjoy the forum

Bhavna

@rashmisingh131

Hi I have lived in Mexico for over two years. I was born and raised in the midwest in the United States. When I got divorced I left for the same reasons you are describing. I have living many places in Mexico. I realy like Playa del Carmen. Nice beaches, nice people, stable electricity and good internet. I have lived many places in Mexico and I like this the best. I would be happy to answer any questions I can.

Thanks for the post. I do have to live close to the border for medical reasons. I was thinking about Piedras Negras and plan to check it out in the next few months. On one post I read that it is a dangerous place. And I picked it as it is listed as safe in many articles. Do you know about this town?

Recently some people went to Eagle Pass, ready to protest, to check out a caravan of illegal people coming in from Mexico. But-they saw no caravan just average immigration activity. So no protest.

My son asked me to think about how safe am I here in Colorado when I can go to a grocery store or another usual place and some nut just starts to shoot. So many mass shootings and no gun control. There was a grocery store shooting in Boulder, Colorado a couple years ago. Boulder is an expensive town to live in and is considered very safe. But these shootings happen anyway and anywhere.

If all seems well, I want to meet with a real estate agent in Piedras Negras to find out about renting a house as I need a yard for my dogs. I plan to rent out my house here in Colorado. If you know an agent or agency, that'd be helpful.

Enjoy the beach.

Hey bud

I am from Kelowna BC myself. Been living in Merida for 2 years. What can I say. Start with the most apealing place for you, if you like the beach go there, if you like it cooler there are plenty of places. Live for a year minimum and than make a decision about buying. Or, if you really know what do you want , just go for it. You don't need to see the full ladder, just take the first step. It is a nice country, way better than Canada, take it easy, respect your neighbour and use common sense. Mexico is not THAT dangerous, acyually is very safe, if you keep your eyes open, but if you are looking for trouble, you will find it. Very important, LEARN SPANISH! Good luck!

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have created this new thread on the Mexico forum for better interaction.

All the best

Bhavna