Most Mild Climate?

Hi everybody. My first post here. What cities/regions have the mildest climates in Mexico? I am not a fan of intense heat and humidity, and know that parts of Peru and Ecadour have cooler climates. What about Mexico?

Gracias!

Tony_Amigo wrote:

Hi everybody. My first post here. What cities/regions have the mildest climates in Mexico? I am not a fan of intense heat and humidity, and know that parts of Peru and Ecadour have cooler climates. What about Mexico?

Gracias!

Hi Tony,

The answer would be basically the Mountain areas in the east which would include places like SMA, and the coastal areas in the west which would include Rosarito and T.J., Possibly Cabo depending on your tolerance.  Don't forget to look at costs and safety which I personally consider more important.

Rosarito area has the same weather as San Diego, which is said to have the best weather in the US.  The humidity is low even being close to the ocean as the water is cold.  The difference between the high in the summer and the low in the winter is avg of 14 degrees.

Tony_Amigo wrote:

Gracias!

Hi Tony, that question could have numerous answers since aspects as large or small town, expats nearby required or not, big stores like Wal-Mart required or not, etc...

Like "travellight" said...the mountain areas are probably the best...a few places I know are Patzcuaro, Etzatlan (small town), Queretaro, Magdalena.

But personally,  after visiting Mexico during 20 years decided that the place for us as permanent residents was on the west coast in the small town of La Peñita de Jaltemba.

So my advice, travel, visit, travel and visit again before deciding.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

I agree with both Travellight and Mexicogc and would add the hills behind Veracruz. Coatepec, Xico, Teocelo, all deserve a look, and if you like larger cities, Xalapa. Not as cold or as high as Zacatecas, and sometimes a little humid, but I have lived here comfortably for ten years or so. The area is not full of tourists, but is culturally interesting.

Babs

i live in CIUDAD JUAREZ, just south of EL PASO TX. we have 3 seasons here with monsoon weather sept- jan. people r friendly here too. where i met my english speaking mexican wife. juarez is a boom town  because of the influx of many mex industries moving here from mx city. so far, from all ive heard from my wife and son who lives here too,  juarez safest city to live in because of so many federal troops stationed here to eradicate the drug cartels that still exist in resistive pockets through out region. close to el paso(3 miles to border) on weekends thousands of texans show up to party and shop because food and gas cheaper than in el paso ratio is 19.00 to 1 so living is good for expats. i have seen many americans roaming the streets and malls. it is a desert but not humid except just before a rain storm. it will get to 95 today with real low humidity; probably rain this pm. 2 reasons i like it here; friendly people, close to usa

Hi:
Don't think anyone has mentioned locations in southern Mexico. Oaxaca and surrounding area is at elevation and generally kind temperatures year round...also a large city with lots to offer. Can Cristobal in Chiapas is smaller than Oaxaca, cooler and wetter than Oaxaca (year round) and generally quite green...also offers a whole different culture than other parts of Mexico.
All that said, I had a home in Merida, Yucatan (way too hot/humid) but now live in San Miguel de Allende. SMA has a really lovely climate in the summer and is nicely green but in winter can get quite cool at night (near or sometimes below freezing) though generally very nice during the day...also everything turns brown...very like much of California. For these reasons we actually leave SMA in winter and head south for tropical sailing for 6 months!
Lots of alternatives in Mexico...good luck!!

I moved from San Diego and visited much of Baja California prior to deciding to live in the mountains. San Diego and Baja are dry but they are too dry for me. It is also getting hotter.

San Miguel Allende is too cold for my taste for a lot of the year and it is very hot in the early spring/summer.

So I decided on Lake Chapala which is just south of Guadalajara at about 1,500 meters or 5,000 feet above sea level. We have no air conditioning or heating. The only time of year we are uncomfortable here is the tail end of the dry season when it is warming up but the rains have not yet come. Recently, this is from late-March to mid-June. We travel to Europe, Australia, or South America at this time of year to not have to deal with it. The weather is dry and gets around 30 degrees celcius (into the 90s F). But the dry air is difficult for me. Farmer's and local residents burn fields or yards to prepare for the fire and deal with weeds. So the air is hot, dry, and smoke filled in these months.

From mid or late June for the next ten months, the weather is incredibly favorable. The rains come in late June and it begins cooling off as the humidity increases. It may still get warm during the day but the lake effect cools things off in the evening.

If you are comparing Peru and Ecuador, you may find it too warm at Lake Chapala.

Another thing to think about, and do some personal investigating, is some mountainous areas here are quite high and altitude sickness is a real thing. My friend had to relocate because they could not adapt (severe migraines all the time) to anything over 1500 meters. Best to check out these areas yourself as no one can tell you how your body will react.

"It's part of the adventure"