Belgium Nationality 2024

Hello,

I'm living and working in Antwerp, Belgium for 6 uninterrupted years. I've applied for a permanent residency 5 months ago and have an appointment to get the result in a month.

Considering it'll be approved, I wanted to apply for citizenship right after. Since I'm working remotely in English, I didn't get the chance to study Dutch. I saw in a few threads here that people mention there will be a police visit and an interview (in Dutch), but also that it can differ between different communes.

Does anyone have information on how it works in the city of Antwerp? Is there a police visit? What would they ask in the interview and will they agree to speak English, or it has to be in Dutch?

Thanks

@Nothing_serious35

It depends on which document you are submitting for Integration. You have the option of submitting Dutch course or 5yr uninterrupted work.

Based on that your interview would be held in English or Dutch. (just from experience).

But in case it is in Dutch the questions are rather simple... What are you doing in Belgium, why did you come and why do you want to stay in Belgium and so on.

Hope after living so long in Belgium you would be able to speak a little Dutch?

@BMM996210

Thank you for your reply. I thought to submit 5 uninterrupted work as the Dutch option, but I don't speak any Dutch, unfortunately.

I work at an international company (Belgian company) and the nature of the work is in English, as well as my friends that are speaking English.

Can I ask to be tested in English in this case?

@Nothing_serious35

You can and most likely in Antwerp the interview could be in English.

But as a backup just prepare some Dutch speaking for basic questions.

Hello everyone,

So I was informed I am eligible for a permanent residency and the appointment to obtain the card is in a couple of weeks.

Is the permanent resident status already valid or only after obtaining the card?

In other words, can I already apply for nationality, or should I wait to get the physical card before?

Thanks

@Nothing_serious35

Hi, congrats to obtain your permanent residency...

You can apply for citizenship only after getting the physical card. (that is what was informed by my commune when I wanted to apply)... I already took an appointment for the nationality based on an assumed timeline and I applied for Nationality the very next day after I received my physical card.

Just to understand: How did you find the status of your permanent residency application?. If you already know you status and eager to apply for nationalty you could do the fast track process to get your physical card the same/next working day.

@BMM996210

Thanks for your response. I was in the commune and was informed in the meeting that my request is approved and I will get card L for 10 years (it took 6 months since I applied).

Oh, I didn't know about the fast track, now that I think about it I remember there was such a procedure for the A cards as well.

So my next step would be to schedule an appointment to apply for nationality and that, as I understand, takes time, so I can aim for after I get the card? (I have an appointment for that already)

@eniolaolatunde27

Are you independent or an employee?

independent: from the social insurance fund (for example Liantis, Xerius or Acerta)

employee: from your employer

@Nothing_serious35

Foreign nationals can only apply for Belgian nationality after 5 years of legal residence in Belgium. There are numerous conditions which must be met.

Children of Belgian parents automatically acquire Belgian nationality. Foreign nationals can apply for Belgian nationality under certain conditions.

When can you submit an application for Belgian nationality?

• You have been legally resident in Belgium for at least 5 years
  • You have a right to remain indefinitely
  • You are integrated in Belgium, for example you have a certificate of integration
  • You speak and write 1 of the 3 national languages
  • You have already worked at least 468 days

@Nothing_serious35

Indeed, depending on your commune you have different procedures for applying for Nationality.

good luck with the application and feel free to ask any queries if needed... I was in the same situation few months ago :)

@Nothing_serious35

Indeed, depending on your commune you have different procedures for applying for Nationality.

good luck with the application and feel free to ask any queries if needed... I was in the same situation few months ago smile.png-@BMM996210

They still have to read and write 1 of the 3 official languages. If they can't they will not get Belgian citizenship.

@SimCityAT

No, there are loopholes... and this I am speaking from experiences from multiple colleagues.

If you submit your employment as proof instead of Dutch course, then they also interview you in English. Perhaps its by luck that you have a good police officer who is in charge of your neighborhoods.

I understand what you mention is the rules as per the official website, but it does not always happen that way.

@BMM996210 i do know that applying for long term residency (card L) does not require language profiency. The requirements of L card are uninterrupted legal residence of at least 5 years, proof of stable income, no criminal record, and with health insurance. the requirement of language will come later during the declaration of nationality (Becoming Belgian) application. and it is here that you can use 5 years of continuous work as proof of language proficiency, even if the workplace in Belgium is in English.

It's a slippery slope... Normally, you are right. If you've worked 5 years continuously, then that proves your language proficiency, and that's enough: https://www.vreemdelingenrecht.be/belgi … taalkennis (google translate, 5 years of continuous work section).

But it has also happened that the immigration office can refuse your application. As it happened here, which in the end they won by appeal: https://www.vreemdelingenrecht.be/hof-v … 24-12-2015

(again google translate it. It's a good read)

What's important from the appeal:

• Since she worked continuously for 5 years, that's enough for the person to demonstrate that she has met the language requirements according to the law (even though she only attained A1)
  • In the appeal it was also mentioned that the police who interviewed her deemed her language skills not satisfactory, but that shouldn't really be taken in account.

@hermito

Perfect (y). Thank you for this information.

So what we assumed is correct. If we submit the employment as proof that is sufficient as language proficiency and really knowing one of the 3 languages is then overwritten. Perhaps the officers who come to check are already aware of this rule and they do the interview in English.

@nothing_serious35: There you go mate... you have no worries now :)

@BMM996210

Thank you, I will update when I will have the interview.

In the meantime, I'm anyway practicing my Dutch, for any case :)

Tobe honest, you can be a Belgian without language proof and you will see thst other public civil servants and police officiers will expect you to speak one of the 3, at least Fr or Nl and you would definitely feel ashame of not speaking any of them but you are still Belge!

so, do not blame for the working environment that is all in English or whatever, the fact that living 5 years in a country without speaking any single words are not acceptable at all!

(I am talking about me and real experience, not for fun actually)

Hello all,

For people who recently got a decision on their nationality application, did you see the log in mondossier when the parquet consulted your file?

I applied last month, and my birth certificate has been uploaded to mondossier already last week. But at the same time, I think it is too early for a decision.

Cheers :)

@RyRy59 Which date did you applied, From which commune? and What was the date your file was forwarded to Parquet? I think it is pretty fast that your birth certificate has been uploaded on mijdossier. For me, I only had one consultation form IBZ. That's it/

@RyRy59

Hi,

Indeed the birth certificate can get uploaded soon. It is just based on the procedure. I had mine also within a short period of application, but keep the lookout for your Nationality button to get activated.

About the log, initial weeks there was a lot of activity, then it slowed down during the 2nd month and then again nearing the end of the 3rd month there was activity and then saw the nationality tab getting activated. For me it was exactly 3.5 moths from the day of applying.

Keep an eye on it once the police verification is completed...

And since you applied last month you can get the result before summer vacation starts, else you may be part of the unfortunate group who needs to wait till the authorities return from their summer vacation ;)

Good luck

Hi,

I applied on March 12, and the police visited my address on April 11 in the morning. He asked when it would be possible for me to visit his office, and on the same afternoon, I went to see him.

We had a normal 15 Min' conversation in Dutch; he asked about when I arrived, what I do, and even inquired about my hobbies and family. It was a very ordinary conversation. I don't know how long it will take to receive a decision, but he told me it could take up to 6 months.

It was surprising that the police visit happened so quickly, within just a month.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I would like to know your stories.

@shambhu45

Hi, it is around the normal timeline, Around 3 weeks after application you can always expect the police to arrive. Lucky your police responsible came soon than for other applicants. This could also mean that you may get your nationality (if there are no more complications) shortly.

The police told the same for me that it would take another 6 months to get the nationality, but I got mine just over 1 month after the police visit.

If all your documents are correct and police verification is completed, then in fact before summer starts you would be a Belgian ;)...

Keep a look out on mijndossier to see if the Nationality tab gets enabled.

@ARMaliq

Thanks! I submitted the application 01/03 in Etterbeek, and it was transferred to the parquet on the same day. Indeed, I didn't think it could happen so quickly.

@BMM996210

Thank you for your input.

Right, so I guess they don't need to wait until the application is finalised to upload the birth certificate.

I live in Brussels so I don't think a police visit is expected. I have seen quite a few activities from the immigration office in the past few days.

Fingers crossed.

@Shakir_KAPDI

Mes applications (top right) -> Qui consulte mes données (left side)

Where exactly we can expect that birth certificate will appear in mondossier?

@RyRy59 Either your application is straightforward or your application came on top in the stack. I also applied on 1st of March. Transferred on 4th. Waiting for any update..Fingers crossed. Good luck with your application. Hope you get the good news soon.

btw - did you guys attach a motivation letter to your application?

It's not appearing in the requirements but I saw a few mentioned it.

@Nothing_serious35

No, did not attach...

Nah, dont bother with a motivation letter. They will just toss it to the trash bin

Hi @BMM996210

May I ask which commune you were/are in? Because I heard it otherwise. The city hall staffs suggested my friends apply for PR and nationality at the same time. One got the nationality directly; one is still waiting

Hey everyone,

I applied for the nationality on 16th November 2023 and I received the other letter on 20th of December. Its been 5 month and 17th days from the day I applied and 4 months and 13 days from the day I received the delivery letter. and still no response, and I dont see anything on neither on mondossier nor Irisbox.  its getting a bit frustrating. Did anyone had similar experience in brussels?

Hi @BMM996210
May I ask which commune you were/are in? Because I heard it otherwise. The city hall staffs suggested my friends apply for PR and nationality at the same time. One got the nationality directly; one is still waiting

-@ashiseverywhere

That would be not possible otherwise they did wrong Or your friend was in a special position that I even don't know what it is but per the law, one must have permanent residence before applying for citizenship.

You cannot apply citizenship while you have no permanent residency (only A or H). Maybe better to move to that commune and get this weird procedure?

Hey everyone,
I applied for the nationality on 16th November 2023 and I received the other letter on 20th of December. Its been 5 month and 17th days from the day I applied and 4 months and 13 days from the day I received the delivery letter. and still no response, and I dont see anything on neither on mondossier nor Irisbox.  its getting a bit frustrating. Did anyone had similar experience in brussels?

-@drkhangholi

Thats normal, even 4 months passed, they will have somewhere as one month to complete your file.

@drkhangholi

It took you 5 weeks to get the letter after your application?

I applied 10 days ago and didn't get any letter, but I saw some got it after 2-3 days.

I'm curious what others experience of it and if you think it's related to how long it will take to police to come?

@drkhangholi
It took you 5 weeks to get the letter after your application?
I applied 10 days ago and didn't get any letter, but I saw some got it after 2-3 days.
I'm curious what others experience of it and if you think it's related to how long it will take to police to come?

-@Nothing_serious35

in brussel, you got the letter the same day of application  other cities are 1 month

I have applied from Antwerp for my  Belgian Nationality on the 20th Feb 2024. They gave me a signed paper at the same time. After that i have not yet heard from them. No police inquiery also yet is this normal?

@vsarchu

it would have been normal in Brussels, but not in Antwerp :). Normally the police would have come...

But anyway you can only wait.

@Nothing_serious35

Yes indeed, it took 5 weeks to get the accuse de reception, but I live in Brussels some communes tend to do it way slower than others.

I dont think there is any police visit if you applied from Brussels.

It has been 6 months from the day that I applied (4 month and 25 days since accuse de reception) and still no news.... it's getting very frustrating.

Has anyone gotten any response lately in one of the communes in Brussels? how long did it take?

@drkhangholi Have you checked with Etat Civil department? what do they say? And which one is your commune?