Banking in Portugal

I am planning on applying for a D7 visa and I know one requirement is a Portuguese bank account.  So, I opened a bank account at Santander Bank when I visited Lisbon in September.  To open the bank account, I needed a local address (and was told that I could use the address of my Lisbon hotel).  When I opened the account, I also filled out a change of address form to my US address.  Somehow that change of address has never happened. 

The bank has an app that should allow me to access the account from abroad and update the address.  When I try to register with the app, it says my US telephone number has too many digits.  I was able to obtain a Portuguese telephone number that automatically forwards the call to my US number.  When I use that number, it says that number is not the number they have in their records. 

Back to the app, there is an email option to send a message, so I sent an email explaining the problem.  The app says they usually respond in 4 hours.  Still waiting 10 days later.  The app also indicates that there is a special phone line for English speakers (unfortunately, I do not speak Portuguese).  Calling that line gets a canned message in what I think is Portuguese. 

When I opened the account, I put in the minimum amount (€150) with plans on supplementing that as needed.  Nevertheless, that money will be depleted with monthly fees and health insurance premiums (which I was required to buy as part of the package to open the account). 

I called the US Santander Bank, just to get a better way to contact the Portuguese Santander Bank, but they could not help me.

I am receiving promotional emails from the bank offering me credit cards and loans, but I need to apply online.  So, it is clear that they have the correct email address, but I am unable to access the bank or my account via their app, email, or phone.  Other than another trip to Portugal or getting an attorney, not sure what else to do. 

In case anyone is wondering, I do have a NIF and all the bank account numbers. 

Any ideas?

Hi,

I can't help you but I opened an Portuguese bank account (not Santander) and had similar problems with accessing the account via app, website and phone number from outside the country and was eventually told that for security reasons only a Portuguese number used within Portugal could access things. I now have an account at a different bank now at Millennium BCP which is accessible via website etc. though their app based subsidiary bank (Activo)  has problems registering non-Portugese phone numbers seemingly as the country code confuses it.

Hi Docx2,

The only thing I can help you with it is what you already know...

Chat: Service available on working days, between 8am and 10pm (PT hours).

To ask your questions with an assistant, access the chat at the bottom of this site, under  “Contacte-nos” / "Contact us".:

https://www.santander.pt/contactos

___

Private Customers email: netbancoparticulares@santander.pt

___

English support, please dial +351 217 807 396, every work days from 7am to 10pm (PT hours)

@Docx2.

Try calling the Santander's English help line in Portugal.  00-351-21-780-73-96

Hope this helps

I have been going through the same issue with Activo bank!  Despite the fact that I registered my US number when I opened the account they have REFUSED me access to my account because the temp Portuguese telephone number is no longer valid!

I too was  told to get an attorney or a local facilitator or take a trip to PT and go to a local branch or ATM to get this rectified. Needless to say  I cannot apply for my visa until I get this resolved!

They truly do not make their processes easy to navigate. Good luck to you!

@williashirl8 Not sure if this helps but I experienced that having a US cell number sometimes prevents the Portuguese bank code being received on your phone. If this happens you have to call your phone provider so they can cancel the block on the code. If I remember correctly it has something to do with the type of code they use in Portugal. King code vs short video or something like that. This prevents you from registering and accessing your bank account, be it online or on the website. I suspect this is the problem. The bank will have to resend the code after your phone provider removes the block on the type of code the bank is sending. My banker was kind enough to give me his email. If you have the name of the banker that opened your account you might be able to google or find out what their email format is and try emailing the banker. Since you have a Portuguese phone number, my only guess is that the code is somehow being blocked. Using a Portuguese phone, do you intend to always use the app on your Portuguese number?

i was not required to list a Portugese address or have a Portugese phone number when I opened my account at Millennium bank in August, 2022. Neither did I need a Portuguese address in my NIF. Listing a Portugese address on your NIF may subject you to global income tax. Not sure how that works if you do not have your D7 visa, though.

Hi

I am moroccan citizen and my question is wich portugese  bank offer best online services like opening accaount and deposit money to non portugese people. Thanks

@Sami,

Open a bank account in Portugal as a non-resident

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=933658

@Strontium Not true. I have a French phone number and it can be used with many Potuguese banks including Millennium BCP and Activo Bank, even abroad without VPN.  I am a resident of Portugal.  Non resident might be slightly discriminated.

@Docx2

You can move to Milenium bank. I had a non resident account with them for 4 years. Accounts in USD and Euros, full acces from app or web. I am now resident and I have switched the accounts into resident account. Xavier