Menu
Expat.com

New Special Tax Regime

Last activity 05 February 2023 by U4SBey

Basheer Shaik

Hello,

I have joined a Belgium company in the year 2021. I was not aware of benefits of special tax status and it has not been applied. In this year, 2022 a new special tax regime is published. For the old regime, a company should have applied for special tax in 6 months.  As per the new regime, I am meeting all the requirements but i missed the deadlines and I also do not have any old special tax regime before.

I would like to know from any of you whether i can still apply for new regime or my application will be rejected as HR has not initiated the application when i joined the company. I need a good advice how i can still apply for new regime without rejection.

Thank you

gafarvictoir

I WILL ADVISE YOU TO CHECK THIS OUT WITH YOUR HR. THEY USUALLY HAVE TAX ADVISORS  WHO CAN SUPPORT THEM.

I WAS IN A SIMILAR SITUATION.

Cheryl

Hello gafarvictoir,

Thank you for your input.

Kindly avoid using capital letters while writing on the forum.

Writing like that means that you are shouting which I don't think you are doing. 1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Basheer Shaik

@gafarvictoir

I have checked with HR. Unfortunately, they said it is too late either to apply for old regime as they should have applied 6 months after joining the company. As i am not also on old special tax regime, it is not possible to switch to new tax regime, also the deadline is also over. I just have to live with that answer unless there is any possibility or new legislation for old employees who have not applied for special tax and willing to do so because of not a proper communication through HR or tax consultants.

Applying for new regime within 3 months of joining is also very short i believe. There should not be such a rule to apply within 6 or 3 months. If an employer has communicated this information it is fine otherwise as an outsider, coming to Belgium for job and knowing all relevant Information on own sometimes a bit tricky and are at loosing end.

Nevertheless, we have to respect all regulations.

Thank you

Anup13

When I contacted my HR for applying for new tax regime (starting a new job here in R&D, Belgium) , they give the following response.

"The Belgian Federal Government introduced a new tax legislation for local expatriates (“Expat Tax Regime”) in Belgium, as of January 1, 2022 and the company decided to don’t opt into this new Local Tax Regime as it’s incompatible with our equality strategy and also not beneficial from a salary point of view as it was the previous regime."

Is there still an option/way to avail the tax benefits by applying myself ?

Özge

Hello,

I am considering an offer from a Belgian company. I've encountered this new tax regime. For an employee working in an enterprise, I think I am meeting the required conditions (having a master diploma in one of the required fields, engaging R&D activities in the scope of his/her expertise).  However, the company says that I am not eligible for that, because they are offering a permanent contract and this contradicts with the definition of being an expat. I am confused about the contract type and also how the minimum gross salary limit is calculated for the eligibility. If anyone knows the answers, it would be of great help.

Thanks!

Basheer Shaik

Hi @ Anup13,

If you HR is not supportive, you may look for any tax advisor and approach them. They can guide you in this regard. Check if there will be any free consultation to explain your case and eligibility. If so you can later go with required fee, etc.

@Oezge,

I suggest you the same. The new regime is complicated. A good tax advisor can guide you through.

Please send me a personal message. I can send few links for you to contact.

Good luck

U4SBey

@Özge

Hello Ozge

I sent you a private message. Check your message box pls.  Good luck

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belgium

• Tax in Belgium
    Tax in Belgium

Like everyone else, expats in Belgium have to pay taxes. Here's a description of how Belgian taxes work.

• Doing an internship in Belgium
    Doing an internship in Belgium

Students usually have to do an internship to validate their academic training. What's the process of doing an ...

• A guide to Brussels' neighbourhoods
    A guide to Brussels' neighbourhoods

A very safe and laid-back city to live and work in, Brussels has many different sides for expats and tourists to ...

• Buying a car in Belgium
    Buying a car in Belgium

Some formalities apply when buying a vehicle in Belgium, both before and after the sale. Here's what to expect.

• Buying property in Brussels
    Buying property in Brussels

Compared with other European capitals, buying property in Brussels is very affordable. Consequently, it's ...

• Buying a property in Belgium
    Buying a property in Belgium

The real estate in Belgium has the reputation of being relatively cheaper than its neighbors. We'll give you ...

• Driving in Belgium
    Driving in Belgium

If you're moving to Belgium, you might be interested in learning about getting a driver's license. Read on ...

• Lifestyle in Belgium
    Lifestyle in Belgium

Belgium is a diverse country that's very friendly with newcomers. What about its traditions, festivities, and ...

All of Belgium's guide articles