Can one buy a car without a Residence permit

Hello all,

We are an Indian/Dutch couple in our mid sixties.  We have bought a villa that will take another year to get ready. Our papers are being processed now and hopefully EDB will give us a Pds by July 2023.

We do want to be in Mauritius for a couple of months  starting April 2023. We have been renting cars so far but we find the rental rates work out very steep!

So we wonder if we shouldn't already buy a reconditioned car instead if renting.

Is it possible to buy a car BEFORE the Residence permit?

Can anyone throw some light?

Thank you so much!

Sucheta

Hello, Yes, you can buy a car without a residence permit.

I purchased a car just few weeks ago and they didn't ask for permit.

What they really need is proof of residence to register a car (and where fines could be sent to).

I agree, they asked for my passport and proof of address, my drivers license was additionally requested for the insurance.

@MaaBoo thank you  very much. This is good news. 👍

@crisnen thank you.

@Expat Ash thank you. This helps!

@SuchetaP Yes, rental prices can be high unless you have some contacts. I can share some useful contacts with you in a private chat if you wish.

@Krisangelo Hi. Please also send me some contacts, I will be travelling to Mauritius  in August. Thanks

@SuchetaP Yes, rental prices can be high unless you have some contacts. I can share some useful contacts with you in a private chat if you wish.

-@Krisangelo

I will appreciate you sharing with me some contacts. Thank you.

Moderated by Cheryl 7 months ago
Reason : Contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct