Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Bulgaria forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Last activity 19 December 2023 by SimCityAT

kaththomas700

To me our Bulgarian village is like the UK used to be in the 50s but not totally. Most of the young people in the village have phones and computers but that aside people have to be self sufficient and grow their own because it saves money. Which can be in short supply.

janemulberry

That's what I like about it, Kath. It's like Australia was when I was a kid growing up, and it feels like coming home.

Grow your own food, make do and mend, most people living simple lives within their income rather than going into debt to prop up shaky egos with flash cars and houses bigger than they can afford. And with the advantage we didn't have as kids of excellent mobile signal and internet access!

kaththomas700

I so agree with you Jane, it can be a bit flashy cars and so on in the cities but not so in the village life is a little slower but " make do and mend " is a way of life and not looked down on  and I was brought up that way.  Yesterday husband who as an only child still lives with his elderly mother, told me that he needed a new pair of shoe laces for his trainers, I said don't buy any I've got some at my place.  I found and gave him six pairs of long shoe laces because if any of my footwear became beyond repair I'd remove the laces before I threw the footwear away because you never know when you might need some.

Bhavna

Hello everyone and welcome on board !

Please note that we are on the New Members thread which is only meant for the introduction of new members.

Should you want to share you insights on a particular topic, you ara most welcome to open a new thread on the Bulgaria forum.

Thank you in advance

Bhavna

joyburtonbewdley

@janemulberry That's exactly what we are looking for Jane. It's lovely to read your reply

joyburtonbewdley

@kaththomas700   Love that. I'm going to take the laces out before throwing any old footwear

I'm so looking forward to growing my own veg, and having a simple life,and getting to know people who are not rushing about at a 100 miles an hour. I'm sure a smile and a wave goes a long way

Friatela

@Julien

Hello, my name is Victoria. Looking forward to get some information to assist with my relocation to Bulgaria.

Welcome to contact me here.

Thank you

janemulberry
@Julien
Hello, my name is Victoria. Looking forward to get some information to assist with my relocation to Bulgaria.
Welcome to contact me here.
Thank you
-@Friatela

Welcome! There are several members for the US, so I am sure you'll be able to get good information. And many of the British members are dealing with similar processes as non-EU citizens post-Brexit. If you have specific questions, it's good to start a new thread for them.

EdOk

Hello All,

I am new to this group — signed up just yesterday. 😃

I am not Bulgarian but my husband is. We are coming from the US and plan on relocating to Bulgaria (Plovdiv specifically) before the end of this year.

I may have questions in the future regarding our future relocations — mainly questions or inquiries about what’s going on in Bulgaria, learning the language, school where my toddler can go to, etc.

Thank you for the admin who created this group, and all of your time to reading this. 😅

Cheryl

Hello EdOk,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to start a new thread on the Bulgaria forum to ask them.

This is the best way to gather information.

In the meantime, I suggest you read the Living in Bulgaria guide for expats.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

SpookLambert

Hello everyone,

Just bought a place out in Bulgaria in a villageand it needs some TLC, but that part of the fun I hope of the move.

Won't be moving out full-time for a couple of years but will be using that time to work on the property and learn Bulgarian

janemulberry

We're doing the same, @SpookLambert. Four years before we can legally move, but that gives us plenty of time to do up the house and for me to learn a few more words of Bulgarian every time I visit.

Rawho

@Julien

Hi,

My husband and I have just moved to Blagoevgrad. He is going to teach at the American University of Bulgaria and I am working remotely at my property management and development company in Idaho. We brought our youngest and our oldest (and her husband) to attend university and explore Bulgaria and the EU with us. We are loving it so far. We have lived in Egypt, India, and Ghana. Bulgaria, so far, is beautiful, very kind people, way more relaxed than I am used to, and the fruits and veggies are so fresh! I'm excited to learn and see more.

Bhavna

@Rawho Hello and welcome to Expat.com !

Thank you for taking the time to share these few words with us.

Feel free to interact with members of the Bulgaria forum.

All the best

Bhavna

Broadview

Hi,

just to introduce myself on the forum. 

Coming from Belgium and living in Varna since about 2 years....so, I already dealt with some pro's and con's.

Harry1044

@sryan4824 hi Sean I'm also ex vet .. be nice to keep intouch have you read my forum ?

Harry1044

Good morning all just a quickie if uour living in Bulgaria no need yo ask for to add me feel free if you british or any other nationality that's Bulgarian orientated .. ) I put a forum up I hope someone can advise accordingly .. cheers

Michael Murphy

Hi, my nane is Michael,  I have been visiting Bulgaria for many years and possibly want to live there in the near future. Thanks for allowingme to join.

@Julien

Michael Murphy

Hi, my name is Michael, Thanks for letting me join. I have been visiting Bulgaria for a few years now and am interested in living there part time. Looking to move to Nessebar hopefully.

-@Julien
Bhavna

@Michael Murphy

Hello Michael,

On behalf of julien and the Expat.com, welcome on board !

I would suggest that you read the articles of the Living in Bulgaria guide for expats for a good start. It contains useful information on every aspect of expatriation to Bulgaria.

You may also open your own topic on the Bulgaria forum to seek advice from members.

All the best

Bhavna

aabnett

Hi my name is Alexia Abnett. I joined a few weeks ago, but as yet have not really needed assistance yet! I am in the process of buying on a monthly basis and am almost halfway with payments. So far  I have not been given any reason to believe it might not all be Kosher. I am happy with the estate agent's professionalism, but obviously, if there are any members who have any input or advice, I would be grateful. The house is in the Krasen area, and it does need extensive work, of which I will put a shout-out when the time comes, for assistance. Great to be here and look forward to engaging with everyone. 1f60a.svg1f60e.svg

janemulberry

Hi, Alexia! I also have a house on pay-monthly in Krasen bought in the hope we'll be able to retire here.  Probably with the same agent, as they had a few houses here for sale.

We're in the process of visiting for a week at a time as often as we can manage to fix it up. It needs a lot more work than I expected but is a great place and the neighbours are welcoming and very helpful.

aabnett

@janemulberry Nice to meet you. I will only be able to go there towards the end of next year. Once it is all paid off, and I have saved enough to start working on it. And as far as I can gather there is a lot of work. I want to first get the garden all cleaned up, and ramps must be laid as I am wheelchair bound so that would be the first thing that must be done. Closer to the time, I will start looking for workers to do this for me. I have been in the construction business for over 30 years, but since moving to Ireland, I have become disabled. The estate agent has been brilliant! I would love to hear from you once you have managed to go there. Wow, if I could send you my address perhaps you could pop in and take some pics for me! I would not hold you to that mind you. Lets keep in touch. Regards Lexie

SimCityAT

@janemulberry Nice to meet you. I will only be able to go there towards the end of next year. Once it is all paid off, and I have saved enough to start working on it. And as far as I can gather there is a lot of work. I want to first get the garden all cleaned up, and ramps must be laid as I am wheelchair bound so that would be the first thing that must be done. Closer to the time, I will start looking for workers to do this for me. I have been in the construction business for over 30 years, but since moving to Ireland, I have become disabled. The estate agent has been brilliant! I would love to hear from you once you have managed to go there. Wow, if I could send you my address perhaps you could pop in and take some pics for me! I would not hold you to that mind you. Lets keep in touch. Regards Lexie

-@aabnett

Lexie,

Please exchange personal details through the Private Message feature. . This is your own safety.

aabnett

@SimCityAT

Yes of course, thank you. 1f64f.svg

janemulberry

I will PM you, Lexie.

jcstaquet

Greetings, I'm Jean-Claude from Belgium and I have been few weeks to Bulgaria before (Bansko).

Now I plan to spend 1 or 2 months in Burgas area to see how it is.

Looking forward to meet expats and sports pals there !

Can you drive in Bulgaria with belgium license or international license is required ?

D H16

Hello, my name is Don and I plan to move to Bulgaria in a year, sort of an early retirement, the lure of the low cost of living, and just the overall beautiful country has peaked my interest. I feel like it’s kind of a hub to where I can venture out to other countries from Bulgaria. I did post a question about living in Bulgaria, and how much I would need to be comfortable income wise. I was also interested to know if I should bring my dog, but overall I am enjoying this form and reading a lot of information that is very helpful.

sorry, I do plan to rent I don’t want to own any property.

philip Mckay

Hi Don

No international licence required in Bulgaria . Your EU licence is good here smile.png.  Don't forget warm clothes for the evenings.  Days mostly sunny but can be rain in autumn ..  we just left Byala about 45 minutes from Burgas and the weather was still lovely 24-27 degrees c  day and 15 at night ..   now in Samokov before going home to UK

Phil

jetmon135

Hi,

My name is Alex from Oregon, USA. Flying to Sofia on Oct 5 and will be driving around Bulgaria till 19 Oct. I am looking into type D visa but maybe just starting a business will be enough for me to purchase a  vehicle and see the country before purchasing a property. I nearly moved to Ukraine but war ended that plan for me. I am always up for seeing and doing things!

gwynj

@jetmon135

Welcome to the expat.com forum and good luck with your trip to Bulgaria!

It might be less hassle to keep renting a vehicle on your visits. But, yes, you can absolutely buy one and own it via your own Bulgarian company.

A local law firm has websites (both dot com) in relation to (a) companies (bulgariancompanies), and (b) vehicle registration (bulgarianplates), so they might have some useful info for you.

D visa is easy-peasy if you already have a pension, otherwise it can be a little tricky. A popular option by TRO (Trade Representative Office) if you have an overseas company (for at least 2 years).

kath9483

For some reason I seem to be a member of the Afghanistan forum as well as but I'm not I live in Bulgaria please alter this for me.

SimCityAT

For some reason I seem to be a member of the Afghanistan forum as well as but I'm not I live in Bulgaria please alter this for me.

-@kath9483

I have logged it with the Admin team to have a look but if you go to the Afghanistan forum Click on Unfollow forum and that should sort out the issue.

Bhavna

@kath9483

Hello, the wrong country was registered in your Expat Experience (click on your photo at the top right to view your Expat Experience, countries in which you have lived and where you are right now).. I have added Bulgaria. It should be ok now.

Regards

Bhavna

charlian99

@Julien

Hi everybody,

My name is Ian from Newcastle and I moved to Balgarsko Slivovo, near Shvistov, with my wife Liliya and her mum in August. I am a sprightly 74 and my wife is 65. It would be great to meet up or talk to  with ex-pats living near us. Rumour has it that there are a number of ex-pats in Shvistov.

we have lots of interests, like walking, Bridge, rowing and Bulgarian dancing (my wife, not me, I'm not that sprightly.

written in hope

Ian Christie

ematinform

@Julien Thank you for the kind words. My name is Slavko, I was born in Bulgaria, but I lived and worked in Portugal for a long time. Two months ago I came back home. Now I work as a programmer in the company Emat. I rent an apartment in Sofia, I would be glad to communicate.

Reni99

Good evening from Washinton state ,USA.

I am a  Bulgarian expat in USA, trying to move back to my country. So I will be expat again:)

Lots of changes are happening  in Bulgaria. I believe the changes are  for the better of the country.

I know Bulgaria inside out( even though I live in the USA) ; I can give people advice but I may need some too in certain areas smile.png

Mrs Homemaker

@Julien 🙂 Hello all good to be here I'm Kat , living in Essex UK ,close to retirement now (clap clap) have enjoyed some lovely breaks in Bulgaria.  Thinking of purchasing property.

Very new to everything real estate , & seriously Bulgaria looking forward to having a chatter .

grumpyoldbird

@Mrs Homemaker

Welcome to the group. There's lots of useful information on here. 😊

charlian99

@Julien

Hi everybody,

My name is Ian, a retired 74 year old Geordie who has recently moved to Balgarsko Slivovo near Svistov in N Bulgaria with my Bulgarian wife and mother. Would love to meet up with fellow Brits in the vicinity.

best

Ian and Liliya

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

• Giving Birth In Bulgaria
    Giving Birth In Bulgaria

If you find yourself pregnant in Bulgaria, you may be wondering if you will have to head home to have your baby. ...

• Education in Bulgaria
    Education in Bulgaria

Educational Structures and Background:

• Leisure in Bulgaria
    Leisure in Bulgaria

Wondering how to keep yourself busy after work and during week-ends? Here is an overview of leisure activities ...

• Opening a bank account in Bulgaria
    Opening a bank account in Bulgaria

Do you wish to open a bank account in Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet
    Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet

Would you like your pet to accompany you during your trip to Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Accommodation in Plovdiv
    Accommodation in Plovdiv

Plovdiv is a very popular city with expatriates, more particularly with students. Find out how to find ...

• Living in Bulgaria
    Living in Bulgaria

After living in Bulgaria for several years, I look back on the decision to move abroad. At first there was a ...

• Moving to Bulgaria
    Moving to Bulgaria

With rising costs of living, falling house prices, lack of mortgage lending and increasing social and economic ...

All of Bulgaria's guide articles