Advice about how to about with formalities/visa

Hi. I'm Kerry and I am a psychotherapist in the USA with a plan to move to Slovenia for a year or more. I had a hard time finding out how even to apply for a long-ter\m visa and did so, to find out just in time that I had to physically go to New York City to some kind of visa application office so I did. It was a horrible experience as I had to wait for over 2 hrs after my appointment time- and they discarded my Slovenia form but sent on my documents. THEN nothing happened in the time frame I was given so I had to followup and got an email back from the Slovenian embassy in Washington, DC sayinbg that I don't have a strong enough reason.

I am self-supporting with American clients as well as receiving Social Security because I am over 65 yrs old - plenty of income to not be a burden on the country.

I would like advice about how to make it easier for the Slovenian bureaucrat to check all the boxes, maybe it's just the way I wrote it? Help please. I was planning to go in early Feb but had to cancel my accommodation and regroup till I can figure this out.

Thanks,

Kerry

Hello Kerry

Welcome on board !

Please note that I have created a new thread on the Slovenia forum from your post so that members already there can help you out.

Formalities can be tricky. Once there, what do you plan on doing (retiring, work, invest ...) ?

All the best

Bhavna

@catamount145 Hi Kerry - I'm Jeff and I'm in a very similar situation, though much earlier in the process: retired (for the most part) psychotherapist, easily self-supporting, etc  We've been visiting Slovenia for extended vacations for the past 8 years and hoping to retire there in 2024.  My husband and I haven't yet started the process of visa/ residency application yet, but your story is exactly what I'm afraid of.  I hope by now you've had some success through the process, but regardless I'd love to hear more of your experience and any guidance along the way. 

Retirement is not a good enough reason to move to Slovenia unfortunatelly. Many EU countries have retirement programs or golden visas but not ours. Here you can read more about it: https://infotujci.si/en/third-country-nationals/