Work Permit application

Hi all,

My situation is pretty complex. We arrived in Mauritius on the 13th of January, due to how long we had to wait for our documents in South Africa, our flights arrived before our permits did. My husband was applying for his Mauritian diaspora, I'd contacted EDB and they'd said we could come over on tourist visa and then change over if his application was accepted. Unfortunately it wasn't accepted, but in the interim, we've both been offered jobs here, but we're needing to apply for work permits through Ministry of Labour as it's below 60k rupees. On the Ministry of Labour's website, they don't consider work permits for non citizens on tourist visas. Which is now a problem, our tourist visas expire soon and we don't have the capital to fly back to SA and then fly back as we have to do that twice already this year for family weddings. Is there another visa we can change over to for our work permits to be considered? Or any other advice is appreciated.

Hi, at least you could try to prolong your tourism visa for 3 more months directly in immigration office.

@xguimard what was the right path to get occupational Visa

Do they give occupational visa if we enter the country with business visa not touristic visa?

Hi all,
My situation is pretty complex. We arrived in Mauritius on the 13th of January, due to how long we had to wait for our documents in South Africa, our flights arrived before our permits did. My husband was applying for his Mauritian diaspora, I'd contacted EDB and they'd said we could come over on tourist visa and then change over if his application was accepted. Unfortunately it wasn't accepted, but in the interim, we've both been offered jobs here, but we're needing to apply for work permits through Ministry of Labour as it's below 60k rupees. On the Ministry of Labour's website, they don't consider work permits for non citizens on tourist visas. Which is now a problem, our tourist visas expire soon and we don't have the capital to fly back to SA and then fly back as we have to do that twice already this year for family weddings. Is there another visa we can change over to for our work permits to be considered? Or any other advice is appreciated.
-@leandrabishop

Hello

That's correct . You have to be OUTSIDE Mauritius for work permit . Please ensure that your employer(s) make the application on your behalf  because they will have to prove  a lot of things to the authorities as to why you are being hired.   It is a fact: you can't apply for jobs on a Tourist visa.   Unless you can prove that you have enough funds whilst working for some company overseas , you can try to apply for the premium visa.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Information should be provided on the forum for the benefit of all members.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

You can apply for a premium visa but you cannot work on a premium visa. While you are on a premium visa you can look for work then change to a work visa hope this helps you. Premium visa is free also.