Menu
Expat.com

Special Resident Retiree's Visa (SRRV)

Last activity 20 December 2023 by Petemac2001

picomanning

Can anyone provide tips or comments about obtaining the SRRV(visa)? Recommend a consultant or hand holding service to obtain, and etc?

Ivan Cristante

I used M*** from ABC International Migration Services in Ermita, Manila around the corner from Robinsons Mall. Been in business for over 20 years. Very experiences. Ph *** or Mi** in ****r. Helped me in several matters. Will give you some free basic info. Tell him Ivan Cristante referred you which may help.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Names + contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
danfinn

Let a very good pra marketer do a great job and for free because she is paid directly by PRA.

vaningenmanagement.com/contact.htm

lcdrski

@picomanning hi I just got my SRRV. Contact m***. Her husband on this site . Contact her 1st the no cost. She’s in makati. If questions pm me Facebook J***ki. Different levels but have to be over 50.

danfinn
@picomanning hi I just got my SRRV. Contact m***. Her husband on this site . Contact her 1st the no cost. She’s in makati. If questions pm me Facebook J***i. Different levels but have to be over 50.
-@lcdrski

Maria was also my no-cost srrv marketer. She is the one I recommended on the URL and my wife and I highly recommend her. She has many year's experience as well.

emvaningen

So nice to read the positive comments about my wife.

Whatever you do, don't use a marketer that charges extra over and above the official governent fees.

Bhavna

Hello everyone,

Please share names and contact details through private message.

Recommandations are allowed but we have to follow the rules of the forum : no contact details/names should be posted on the forum.

Thank you in advance

Bhavna

danfinn

@Bhavna But before the admins said we should share our details on the forum rather than by PM so that the wider community could benefit from the information. See, that is a problem and it is confusing. Also, is it OK to share a URL that happens to have the person's name in it? Please clarify because this is an issue. Also, please note that these PRA marketers are consultants for and paid by the Philippines Department of Tourism -PRA which, in that capacity connects them to official Philippine government business so in that regard, is mentioning names actually not permitted?

asvinseuh

Do the application yourself. Dont waste time trying to get your documents apostilled. Go to the US Embassy to get a sworn statement that they original or cerified copies of your documents. I made my deposit using DBP bank. It is faster. I was told it could take weeks for verification of reciept of your deposit by the PRA. But I called DBP bank as soon as my bank in the US informed me the transferred the cash. They were very nice when helping me, and they gave me the name and phone number of the person who could verify DBP recieved the money. It took about three days. Once I called back to DBP they gave me the name of the PRA employee who they sent verification that my account had been opened. I called the PRA to let them know the money was there. I applied in early December 2022, and got my SRRV visa in Late January 2023.

emvaningen

This is good info, because DBP is not known for being so fast.

Also I think it's worth to know that money deposited at DBP is kept on a PRA account, not your personal account like with other banks.

Lastly, i think there there is a period of time that sworn statements  are valid.

emvaningen

@emvaningen

Ignore what i said. There is no limitation to validity of sworn statements.

But let me repeat that at DBP you don't open and get an account. The deposit is made into a PRA account.

bigpearl

I watched your posts over the years and I think some time ago we chatted about the SRRV. Your lady gets, great raps from members here.

I think I mentioned that I am that I'm considering this visa option and spoke with the fool in Baguio with the PRA and he was full of himself and some 15 emails later got his name, it was all about him, not sure if you remember that cr@p emvaningen.

I will probably go the SRRV route when I decide to draw a self funded super pension to gratify the PRA's requirements of a US 10K deposit.

I wonder the benefits given the PRA fees are similar to extending a simple tourist visa @ around PHP 22K per year  verses the PRA with similar costs and lock up US 10 or 20K.

Your or your ladies thoughts? 

Cheers, Steve.

emvaningen

@bigpearl

I got my SRRV in 2006.

In those days it was expensive and also the yearly fee is still much higher than nowadays.

Except for diplomats, former military from USA etc., SRRV may stll be more expensive than other options, but it very much depends on lifestyle and location.

Yet, it has been and still is worth the money for me. The main thing is that it indeed it is hassle free, gives peace of mind and offers independence.

We travel regularly and none of the emigration's documentary requirements apply. Our fast border check via the vip channel has now been replaced by a similar fast lane for seniors.

I found certain PRA staff very helpful when i had to deal with authorities, and i have experienced that the PRA services are more than selling a visa.

bigpearl

I'm going the visitor visa until I decide to draw a pension in 2 or 3 years from my super, then I don't lock up an extra US 10K and simply visit immi every 2 months and always aligned with shopping etc. The SRRV has some great points but I think the required deposits are over the top so I will wait for now.

Pity the Philippines don't recognize same sex couples.

Cheers, Steve.

danfinn

We travel regularly and none of the emigration's documentary requirements apply. Our fast border check via the vip channel has now been replaced by a similar .
-@emvaningen

Well, that's how it used to be anyway. Now it looks like, before leaving you need to get a "Travel Pass" which requires that you disclose your entire itinerary. Maybe not quite as bad as the ECC but still a limit to freedom of travel. I have not seen the senior check in at immigration but it would seem it wouls apply to all seniors, not only SRRV, correct?

emvaningen

@danfinn

Correct. I did not mention it to promote SRRV, just a mof.

Nobody in emigration asks for travel pass. I just tell PRA where and when I go and plan to return. I have never heard that you have to provide details of the in-between.

But you are right, travelpass is here for all visaholders, inclusive SRRV. I think this ridiculous concept is mainly to keep tack of large numbers of citizens of our largest neighbour.

mike brant davao

@picomanning are you in philippines? or abroad ?

the best bank to deposit the money is BANK OF COMMERCE , they give the highest interest in US $

why need agent , just do it direct with the srrv office

bigpearl

@ emvaningen.

You know and just a thought? Why does the PRA require such steep deposits from Foreigners that wish to retire in the Philippines, they obviously bring cash into the country and those deposits would be better injected into an ailing economy instead of sitting in a bank earning zilch for the retiree while others make money on those deposits.

As Julious Sumner Miller often stated "why is it so?" Why the disparities between war veterans or those not retired/receiving a pension? Equality rings a bell.

Simply because I am not married and regardless same sex couples get diddly squat here so can't avail the Balakbayan nor 13a visa.

OMO but discrimination within the PRA system, gouging after 30 or 40 years needs to readdressed big time.

Cheers, Steve.

emvaningen

@bigpearl

I agree. Believe me. We have tried

What about the older ones amongst us, who have paid a yearly fee of USD 500 or 750 for the past tweenty years, only to see new "members" paying half of that.

It's a money making scheme, with dividents to the state and aso special contributions to the government. Interest on bank accounts is low, because PRA gets part of it etc. etc.

Thus, everybody has to look for what suits his (her, its) situation best.

The same applies to using a marketer or not (see previous post). As long as one selects a marketer that doesn't charge an upfront additional fee, I don't see what's wrong with having a marketer.

danfinn

I do not believe PRA and BI are specifically discriminating against anybody, I think they all must deal with term "marriage" as handed down to them by the law. If you show PRA or BI an international marriage license, do they try to confirm that you physically are not same sex? I believe that the Philippines must accept international marriage contracts even if locally same sex is not allowed here, just as they accept international divorce. Have you tried entering as BB by showing your foreign marriage license or are you simply assuming it would be rejected?

bigpearl

Interesting thought danfinn, something I have never thought about as same sex marriages are a no go here.

Saying that I was married for 22 odd years, kids and the whole 9 yards and after we divorced realized marriage is simply a piece of paper and no need to go that path again. Better to live in sin as some say.

Works for me doing the bi monthly immi visit and always shopping when I do that, the cost differences are negligible between an SRRV or visitor visa fee and I don't need to feather someones nest with a 10 or 20K deposit, time will tell.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

blacksheepjuno

Point of order, the Philippines will recognize a divorce from another country, but you need to go to court to have that happen with an official copy of your divorce papers.

It becomes more complicated if you married a Filipina in the Philippines, then later got divorced in your home country. Not only do you have to go to court here, but it has to be done in the same district as your marriage.

danfinn

@blacksheepjuno My case typical of many: Was married to US woman, got divorced in US. Married Filipina woman in US, moved to Phils later on. No problem with Phils recognizing US marriage certificate for BB or later, later, SRRV. No court cases here etc.. Just straight on recognition of certified marriage certificate. 

blacksheepjuno

That’s especially good news for me to hear, and counters what I’ve been told locally. Especially that you got SRRV.

Moon Dog

I've been back and forth on whether to go for the 13a visa or the SRRV courtesy visa. My marriage license is not registered with the PSA and it looks like that is difficult to accomplish in the Philippines so I'm back to the SRRV. I sent scans of my Social Security letter and DD214 to a service mentioned in this thread and looks like all that is good. The last thing I was told was to contact them 2 weeks before my arrival date in Manila. Maybe they will let me know what else to bring at that time. What else is there besides my SS letter, DD214 and the form.

There was mention of the apostille process. How hard is that in the Philippines?

emvaningen

@Moon Dog

If you are in touch with my partner, just ask her.

She knows even better than I.

Moon Dog

@emvaningen I believe it is your partner. She asked for my phone number so I can ask when she calls. I began the process a while ago then my wife wanted to try for the 13a but having our marriage license registered with the PSA is not going to be easy. I was at the BI office in Tacloban last week and no one there had any idea how to do it.

pilotdrh

@Moon Dog You need an NBI clearance since you've been here more than 30 days. You also need a police clearance from the US, I did the FBI one. I've heard you may be able to get an interpol clearance though. All of these can be done within a year of your application, you have to sign an affidavit that you will get them. Your application will have to printed on A4 paper. I was able to get my FBI clearance apostilled but it is definitely a pain. They would not apostile my DD214  which I had obtained from the National Archives, idiots. And of course I could not get someone from the SSA to sign my benefits statement, more idiots. I ended up doing an affidavit for both and having them notarized at the embassy and the PRA accepted them. The reason I went with the SRRV instead of the 13A is in case my spouse dies, then the 13A is only good for a year. Plus I don't have to do the police report however often that is, or the BI annual reporting, or the ACR card. I just the renewal for my SRRV card. I did it all via messaging, cost more than the $10 but I didn't have to go to Manila and had it the next day. $57 but it was worth it.

xavierasia

@lcdrski

Hello my name is xavier from france.i ll open end of year a french bakery in bacolod and now i need to find the best way to stay inside the country for my business with visa.

Can i ask you tour mail in order to ask you some advices and explain to you my situation for finding the best way to operate. I am 52  years old and interested by srrv..thanks

xavierasia

@emvaningen hello my name is xavier and i ll open french bakery in bacolod end of the year. Now i have to focus ,what is the best visa , to open it for staying inside the coutry.

Can i ask you your mail for asking you some advice and finding solution .

Xavier da ros french

Petemac2001

With the SRRV EXPANDED COURTESY program, do you have to be on a miltary pension ot just have served in the miltary? On the official government site it states miltary officer, does this include NCO's?

bigstar1208

No military pension required if you have social security.

NCOs included.

danfinn

With the SRRV EXPANDED COURTESY program, do you have to be on a miltary pension ot just have served in the miltary? On the official government site it states miltary officer, does this include NCO's?

-@Petemac2001

I know it says "officer" but that is not how it seems to work right now; you just need to be an ex-grunt and have an honorable discharge and give them your DD whatever form and show some sort of pension, no need to be military. That is not to say they couldn't use that provision which might raise doubts later on, however.

Moon Dog

@Petemac2001

I served 3 years in the US Army and was honorably discharged as an E4. All I needed to successfully acquire my SRRV expanded courtesy visa was a copy of my DD214. If you have that, or whatever paper your country issues to prior servicemen, you're good to go.

TitoDan

Thanks for the info from several good Expat participants.  Next question:  How/where/with whom do I get started?  DM

emvaningen

email to info@vaningenmanagement.com for assistance without fees or charges beyond the normal fees charged by the government.

Petemac2001

Thanks all, appreciate your replies

Moon Dog

@TitoDan

Make an account with the NBI online and schedule an appointment. If you're under 70 years of age you will probably need some sort of police clearance from your home country. I didn't have to do that so maybe someone else could clarify.

If your earnings statement and DD214 (if you're ex-military) were not apostilled in the US you will have to make an appointment with the US embassy in Manila or possibly Cebu to have a sworn statement notarized.

Send an email as emvaningen suggested, that is also who guided me through the process. She will send you a notarized letter that you will present to a bank to create a PRA account where you will wire the money for the deposit.

When all that is complete you will drop everything off in Makati. When approved you will have to ask for a appointment on either Wed. or Fri. at 3pm to be sworn in and do some photo ops. You will receive your passport with SRRV sticker, ID card and a folder with a SRRV certificate and bank account document for your deposit.

It's all pretty easy if you live in or around Manila. I had to make 2 trips to Manila which involved air travel and a hotel each time. On my first trip I had everything completed except the sworn statement. I did the sworn statement at the US Embassy and took a taxi directly to Makati and dropped off the paperwork.

Petemac2001

I'm currently on a retirement visa in Malaysia, good for another 5 years, so just looking at options. Not currently on a pension, will they accept other income or must it be a pension? Still have another 7 years before due for a government pension. In Malaysia I was allowed to use income from a business in Australia plus real estate rental instead of a pension

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles