Menu
Expat.com

Moving to Belize

Last activity 30 August 2023 by Bhavna

abnharper

I would like to use this site; but the answers are not specific enough for action.  The previous gentlemen asked about fences and while there were a couple of comments, none had contact information or cost information they experienced etc. just to get an idea.  That doesn't help someone relocating to Belize and looking at budgeting cost for their projects.  I am looking for a site that I can say; hey guys, I am in the QRP program, does anyone need something from close to where I'm shipping out of? 

Aerodex
I would like to use this site; but the answers are not specific enough for action. The previous gentlemen asked about fences and while there were a couple of comments, none had contact information or cost information they experienced etc. just to get an idea. That doesn't help someone relocating to Belize and looking at budgeting cost for their projects. I am looking for a site that I can say; hey guys, I am in the QRP program, does anyone need something from close to where I'm shipping out of?
-@abnharper

WOW what a first post,.. If folks here don't have the info you want, would you rather they just make up an answer?  Business (mostly small) tend to use a FaceBook page vs putting up a website.

North Americans moving here are either self sufficient or quickly learn to be, Those that are not move away in a year or two. Learning to ask specific questions and include the area you going to be in is really important. 

I think it foolish for folks to just move to Belize without spending at least a few months renting first. Most folks have no idea what they Don't know, I was one of those.

There is absolutely no substitute for putting your own sandal's in the sand and meeting folks one on one.  Living here is way different than spending a couple of weeks in a resort. Belize is what it is, and it is not for everyone.

I wish you well.

homesickgypsy

@abnharper there are facebook groups that can give you detailed information.

abnharper

Thanks everyone for the responses.  My wife and I have been traveling to Belize, the Placencia area twice a year for several years (minus the pandemic).  We have experienced all of the seasons and that’s what interested us in buying a lot.  We will start building after hurricane season.  My sincere apologies if I came across a little brash; but I hate non- specific answers to questions.  Either you can provide specifics to the person in need or refer them to someone who can.  I will join the website as I would like to add to the experiences of navigating Belize and this housing project will certainly provide me with areas of expertise.   Thanks again and have a great day,

Harper

DnBR

@abnharper

I get what you mean. This site is strict about personally-identifying information, which limits the specificity. I'll echo that Facebook (love it or hate it) is the commonly used platform.

I'd refer you also to the subreddit r/belize on Reddit. Questions asked and answered there will get you e.g., a driver's name complete with their WhatsApp.

abnharper

@homesickgypsy, I hat is the address to the Facebook site?  I have been working for 46 years and haven’t had time to play with social media.  If I could get an invite or information on the site that would be most helpful.  Thanks again,

Harper

EndPovertyNowInc

Hello,

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please create your advert in the Housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Bhavna

Hello everyone,

Just to let members know that contact details can be shared.  You can send a private message to any participant by clicking on his photo > send a message.

We need to be careful about posting personal information on the public forum.

Regards

Bhavna

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Relocating to Belize
    Relocating to Belize

Moving is always a big project, but an international move requires special considerations. If you have decided to ...

• Moving with your pet to Belize
    Moving with your pet to Belize

If you have pets and are planning to move to Belize or make an extended visit, you will almost certainly want to ...

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

All of Belize's guide articles