Menu
Expat.com

Best International bank account

Last activity 18 June 2023 by Modicasa

jules3be

Hi, I am moving from the UK to Italy and I need to know which bank is best for offering an international current account.  Just been told that you have to be resident in the UK to have a Barclays current account.

Any advise welcome.

Thanks

Modicasa

It depends where you are going to be living.   If you have a credit agricole in your town, then they seem a good bet.  There arent many intl banks in Italy so your choice is  Deutschebank, a couple of French ones and perhaps a couple of others.  None of which have country wide coverage, and tend to be very localised.  If you're in MIlan you will have more choice.    If you mean a bank whcih can deal internationally then some of the Italian banks are good, but expensive.   

jules3be

@Modicasa Thank you for your response.  I want a bank that will accept UK and Italian payments into my current account.  I have no idea if this is possible.

Modicasa

Any bank will accept payments from third countries, but as you are receiving GBP presumably and wanting to deposit that in euros will end up costing you alot with traditional banking.  If you get a Wise card you can transfer your money into euros and then into your italian bank as a direct SEPA which costs nothing.  Im sure there are loads of other methods. 

Articles to help you in your expat project in Rome

• Banking in Italy
    Banking in Italy

If you are planning to move to Italy, you may need to open a bank account. Often this is even required by the ...

• Buying property in Rome
    Buying property in Rome

Rome has a complex real estate market, as is the case throughout Italy, and it is not always easy to find a ...

• Finding work in Rome
    Finding work in Rome

Unsurprisingly, Rome is one of the most popular destinations in Italy, especially for expatriates. Its culture, ...

• Accommodation in Rome
    Accommodation in Rome

Rome is a popular destination for expatriates. In addition to its pleasant climate, Italy's capital is full of ...

• Higher education in Rome
    Higher education in Rome

Many students around the world want to study in Rome because of its idyllic setting, culture, and history, not to ...

• The neighbourhoods in Rome
    The neighbourhoods in Rome

Rome is one of the largest cities in Europe, with 1,285 km² and 2,759,709 inhabitants, according to the 2021 ...

• The work culture in Rome
    The work culture in Rome

Working in Rome is an opportunity for many expatriates. Still, before starting this new adventure, it is useful to ...

• Leisure activities in Rome
    Leisure activities in Rome

Rome, the "Eternal City", is an open-air museum, a whirlpool of antiquity and modernity, a place of ...

All of Rome's guide articles