Menu
Expat.com

Are there any Vietnamese banks that can do this nowadays?

Last activity 17 June 2023 by Apollo355

Apollo355

I have a family member with the current status:

• US citizen currently living in Vietnam
  • Elderly age with no access & usage fluency of the internet and therefore cannot open any online bank account for herself
  • Isn't employed, but collects a monthly pension payment from the State of California
  • No longer owns any US bank account and is physically unable to travel back to the US to open one

And my question is:

• Are there now any Vietnamese banks in Ho Chi Minh City that will cash or deposit US checks issued by the State of California to collect her pension

payments?

• If not, are there any services that can assist US expats with this particular case that she can engage?
Apollo355

I just realized that I accidentally double post this question with a previous version, so please ignore that one and only respond to this thread.  Thank you.

OceanBeach92107
      US citizen currently living in Vietnam
Elderly age with no access & usage fluency of the internet and therefore cannot open any online bank account for herself
Isn't employed, but collects a monthly pension payment from the State of California
No longer owns any US bank account and is physically unable to travel back to the US to open one

And my question is:

1) Are there now any Vietnamese banks in Ho Chi Minh City that will cash or deposit US checks issued by the State of California to collect her pension
       payments?
     2) If not, are there any services that can assist US expats with this particular case that she can engage?
-@Apollo355

Sorry to say, there are no legal options for her.

None.

She should talk to a trusted Vietnamese friend about exploring alternative methods that we can't talk about here in the forum.

If she doesn't have a trustworthy Vietnamese friend, based on everything you've said, I can't see how in the world she can remain in Vietnam, let alone pay next month's rent.

Also, you say "living in Vietnam".

What does that mean?

A tourist on a tourist visa?

Or perhaps, Việt Kiều living here using a 5-year Visa Exemption Certificate (VEC)?

Or dual citizen with Vietnam passport?

If she is either dual citizen or Việt Kiều, certainly your family knows how to handle this.

Good luck!

Apollo355

She's been living there for over 10 years and also possess a Vietnamese ID.

Sam Saigon 156

@OceanBeach92107

timo.vn to open an account even for a 3 month visa

Sam Saigon 156

@Apollo355 means she’s Vietnamese citizens, easy open a bạn account

as for corrector cheque thing, contact a travel agent to help her out easily

OceanBeach92107
-@Apollo355

That doesn't answer my questions.

What "ID"?

What passport(s)?

What visa?

Apollo355
-@Sam Saigon 156

Sam, the State of California department that processes her pension payment cannot wire funds to an offshore bank account, but can issue checks that can be cashed anywhere.  But the issue here is that all Vietnamese banks that she spoke to refuse to honor bank checks issued from a US bank.  So if anyone here know any that does, that would solve her problem.

And how would a travel agent be able to assist in this matter?

OceanBeach92107
-@Sam Saigon 156

You are venturing into illegal advice that we don't talk about in the forum.

Instead of schilling for Timo in the first forum post your bot found, go back and read the OP.

She's not asking for a bank account, per se.

She needs a legal bank option for cashing a physical (paper) foreign US dollar check. 

That Timo account you (and too many others on social media) are mentioning is an ELECTRONIC account, totally unsuitable for her needs.

One of our longtime members previously wrote about the impossibility of cashing a physical US Government Treasury check here LEGALLY.

Please stay on topic.

Apollo355
-@Apollo355

What "ID"?

What passport(s)?

What visa?
-@OceanBeach92107

She has a Vietnamese ID, and a US passport.

Aidan in HCMC
-@Apollo355

What "ID"?

What passport(s)?

What visa?
-@OceanBeach92107

She has a Vietnamese ID, and a US passport.
-@Apollo355

Stating "...a Vietnamese ID..." is not very specific.

Even a Vietnam driver's license, valid only to the end of any current visa, is a "Vietnamese ID".

OceanBeach92107
...the State of California department that processes her pension payment cannot wire funds to an offshore bank account, but can issue checks that can be cashed anywhere. But the issue here is that all Vietnamese banks that she spoke to refuse to honor bank checks issued from a US bank.

I talked about a possible solution in another thread.

Good luck!

Apollo355

Elderly age with no access & usage fluency of the internet and therefore cannot open any online bank account for herself
Isn't employed, but collects a monthly pension payment from the State of California
No longer owns any US bank account and is physically unable to travel back to the US to open one

And my question is:

Are there now any Vietnamese banks in Ho Chi Minh City that will cash or deposit US checks issued by the State of California to collect her pension
      payments?

If not, are there any services that can assist US expats with this particular case that she can engage?
-@Apollo355

Actually she doesn't even need to cash the check but rather, a Vietnamese bank that will deposit her US checks into her Vietnamese bank account, and then from there, she can either withdraw some of the fund in the Vietnamese currency or in USD.

OceanBeach92107

And my question is:

Are there now any Vietnamese banks in Ho Chi Minh City that will cash or deposit US checks issued by the State of California to collect her pension
   payments?

If not, are there any services that can assist US expats with this particular case that she can engage?
-@Apollo355

Actually she doesn't even need to cash the check but rather, a Vietnamese bank that will deposit her US checks into her Vietnamese bank account, and then from there, she can either withdraw some of the fund in the Vietnamese currency or in USD.
-@Apollo355

Please read my very first reply again.

There's no way to do that at a bank here.

We (as foreigners) can't even walk into a bank and deposit cash (VND or USD).

THIGV

I have no idea if this would work but I'll just run it up the flagpole.  Have a power of attorney made up in California giving you or another appropriate relative the right to cash her pension checks.  Have her take it to the HCM US Consulate to be notarized and have her send it back to you.  Have the pension checks sent to your address.  You can then cash them and send her the cash through one of several means.

I am sure there is something wrong with this idea but hopefully others will be gentle when they point it out to me. 1f60d.svg

Also, I have read on this forum that ID cards will no longer be renewed for those who hold VN passports along with US or other passports.  If so, your relative maybe should look into obtaining a VN passport even if she intends to never again leave the country. If she has a VN passport then she will not have to mess with the VEC or other immigration matters.

Yoda0807

Most if not all VN banks won't accept foreign checks - cashed or deposit.

Your elderly family member best and cleanest solution would be to open a US online account (via your assistance or other family member(s)), have the monthly checks deposited in the US account, then arrange automatic recurring transfer to VN bank.

Apollo355
I have no idea if this would work but I'll just run it up the flagpole. Have a power of attorney made up in California giving you or another appropriate relative the right to cash her pension checks. Have her take it to the HCM US Consulate to be notarized and have her send it back to you. Have the pension checks sent to your address. You can then cash them and send her the cash through one of several means.
I am sure there is something wrong with this idea but hopefully others will be gentle when they point it out to me. 1f60d.svg

Also, I have read on this forum that ID cards will no longer be renewed for those who hold VN passports along with US or other passports. If so, your relative maybe should look into obtaining a VN passport even if she intends to never again leave the country. If she has a VN passport then she will not have to mess with the VEC or other immigration matters.
-@THIGV

We are considering this option.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Opening a bank account in Vietnam
    Opening a bank account in Vietnam

If you have decided to settle in Vietnam, you will definitely need to open a bank account. Not only will this be ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles